Your Unpopular ASOIAF Opinions/Hot Takes

Maegor_the_Cool

10 minutes ago, sifth said:

The series would be better if Jon didn’t come back to life. Don’t get me wrong I love Jon; he’s kind and honorable, but this series has way too many fake out deaths. They’re sort of becoming a joke at this point. 

Especially if you factor in all the other theories that have fake out deaths.

8 hours ago, sifth said:

The series would be better if Jon didn’t come back to life. Don’t get me wrong I love Jon; he’s kind and honorable, but this series has way too many fake out deaths. They’re sort of becoming a joke at this point. 

I don't know if the series does have too many fakeout deaths in its actual text, or whether the number of them in theories has just proliferated to the extent they seem ridiculous. There have been a couple of cliffhanger moments where we see a character and might assume that's it for them but later learn they've survived (Theon, Davos, Brienne), and there are some where a character is supposedly killed offpage and it's later revealed the person who told us about it is lying (possibly Aegon, Davos again, perhaps Stannis) but I struggle to think of any examples where we see a character die or suffer fatal injury, whether in their own POV or someone else's, and it turns out that surprise! they're actually alive.

The closest we get are Bran and Rickon, where we don't see it happen, and the deception is revealed almost immediately (within the same chapter), and Cat, which I don't think it's fair to call a fake death because she did die and was then reanimated as functionally a different character.

It's also not clear whether Jon was actually fatally wounded, of course. He could still be alive without even needing resurrection - and this would be more in keeping with GRRM's previous cliffhangers.

15 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

I don't know if the series does have too many fakeout deaths in its actual text, or whether the number of them in theories has just proliferated to the extent they seem ridiculous. There have been a couple of cliffhanger moments where we see a character and might assume that's it for them but later learn they've survived (Theon, Davos, Brienne), and there are some where a character is supposedly killed offpage and it's later revealed the person who told us about it is lying (possibly Aegon, Davos again, perhaps Stannis) but I struggle to think of any examples where we see a character die or suffer fatal injury, whether in their own POV or someone else's, and it turns out that surprise! they're actually alive.

The closest we get are Bran and Rickon, where we don't see it happen, and the deception is revealed almost immediately (within the same chapter), and Cat, which I don't think it's fair to call a fake death because she did die and was then reanimated as functionally a different character.

It's also not clear whether Jon was actually fatally wounded, of course. He could still be alive without even needing resurrection - and this would be more in keeping with GRRM's previous cliffhangers.

I mean we have the time Arya got hit in the head with an axe……..nope it was just the other side of the axe, she’s fine. 

Realistically the Others should win. 

Westeros and the world is too divided, stupid and unprepared for them to win. We have dead cold things walking towards main civilization and all eyes and swords are pointed towards that ugly throne. 

And the two people(Jon and Dany) who are supposed to fight these things are 15yr old. The world should be doomed! 

On 1/31/2024 at 6:57 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Nailed it.

Yes.  Albeit, I can relate to his depression.  This has been quite a miserable decade, so far.

Although in my case, I find hard work, and writing, helps to take my mind off bad news.

On 2/3/2024 at 4:44 AM, SeanF said:

Yes.  Albeit, I can relate to his depression.  This has been quite a miserable decade, so far.

Although in my case, I find hard work, and writing, helps to take my mind off bad news.

He said last year was a bad one for him professionally, too. Obviously the writing isn’t going well, but I think he was probably alluding more to the TV projects, since that’s what seems to give him the most joy at this point in his career. Maybe these spin-off shows are just getting too expensive. 

His latest blog post was also a reminder for me that as old as I may feel at times, I still have a long way to go. There are a lot of think pieces going around these days asking “why don’t young people care about x, y, z?” But that’s just part of getting on in life. You can’t exist in a permanent state of hysteria, especially when so much of what’s going on in the world is beyond your control.

On 2/4/2024 at 3:34 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

His latest blog post was also a reminder for me that as old as I may feel at times, I still have a long way to go. There are a lot of think pieces going around these days asking “why don’t young people care about x, y, z?” But that’s just part of getting on in life. You can’t exist in a permanent state of hysteria, especially when so much of what’s going on in the world is beyond your control.

Exactly, if you over think about too many things going on in the world, you'll drive yourself mad.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine would be that anyone who is staunchly Team Green to the point that they hate Team Black and can't see that Team Green are on the wrong side (it's OK to like the "bad guys") are attention seekers. They're like the Lannisters, whilst Team Black are like the Starks and that's OK. But at least Team Lannister stans know fine well that House Stark are generally overall the Goods Guys and House Lannister are generally overall the Bad Guys.

Also, as much as it doesn't make much sense and no one agrees with it (this is what this whole thread is about), I wish Beric was still alive. If he was the Hooded Man in Winterfell, cool. But I'm open to most theories regarding the Hooded Figure (whether it's Harwin or Theon himself)

• 2 weeks later...

Maegor did nothing wrong, and if Euron brings down the Hightower he'll have justified all his sins. 

The catspaw is time traveling bran, he's warging in the past trying to gain info, accidentally wakes up in the stables, has memories of robbing merchant and finds the bag of silver. Realizing he can't jeopardize anything before he gains the weirwood net he goes through with the murder attempt. When he says "you weren't supposed to be there" it's to summer, he's mock scolding him, nostalgic for when they were housepets 

Mine would be that I hate Arya and what she is becoming. I'd be the happiest if she tried to kill someone and he just grabbed her by ankles and dashed her head against the walls. 

On 2/21/2024 at 3:57 PM, KingStoneheart said:

Mine would be that anyone who is staunchly Team Green to the point that they hate Team Black and can't see that Team Green are on the wrong side (it's OK to like the "bad guys") are attention seekers. They're like the Lannisters, whilst Team Black are like the Starks and that's OK. But at least Team Lannister stans know fine well that House Stark are generally overall the Goods Guys and House Lannister are generally overall the Bad Guys.

Also, as much as it doesn't make much sense and no one agrees with it (this is what this whole thread is about), I wish Beric was still alive. If he was the Hooded Man in Winterfell, cool. But I'm open to most theories regarding the Hooded Figure (whether it's Harwin or Theon himself)

I would disagree as someone that likes Green. Team black is in the wrong due to cuckoldry, lack of disinheriting of Aegon and the fact that Rhaenyras own sons didn't clear her name and smallfolk attacked Dragons with sticks and stones when she ruled over them because of how bad of a ruler she is. 

Hot takes

- the slavers actualy have a makings a decent military under their noses

-dothraki ineffectiveness as warriors is massively overplayed due to how scummy and hated they are (but 0 armour is suicidaly  stupid)

- that said the dothraki arent comming to westeros , dany is probably gonna end them

-unlimited gold is almost as powerful as dragons or magic....once both where gone it makes 0 sense that the lannisters dont rule westeros (and parts of essos)  already

-part of the reason the ironborn are tolerated and wanted as part of the 7 kingdoms is probably BECAUSE they raid! Rare goods come back to westeros from far essos at knockdown prices for lords of westeros with merchants acting as the middlemen to fleece stolen goods at suspiciously cheap prices.

-

Edited by astarkchoice