Hypothetical Small Council of King Stannis

James Steller

You decide whether this hypothetical scenario occurs after Stannis wins the Battle of the Blackwater or after he successfully defends Westeros from the Others and proves his worthiness to be king.

For my part, I’m going with the latter since Stannis has done a lot of character growth since Blackwater, and he’d be a much better ruler now than if he’d won in ACOK.

Hand: Davos Seaworth (and really, I’d be hard pressed to find a better living man for that job)

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Richard Horpe

Master of Coin: Wyman Manderly (it’s a fitting reward for him, plus he’ll know how best to make money given that House Manderly is the richest house in the North)

Master of Ships: Andrew Estermont (assuming that he comes back and rejoins Stannis at court, he’s from an island so we can assume he’s gotten experience sailing, plus he proved his loyalty to Stannis as a king’s man)

Master of Laws: Lord Lester Morrigen (one of the few good men who stayed loyal to Stannis after the Battle of Blackwater)

Master of Whispers: this one’s the trickiest. I’m tempted to say Melisandre, purely because I can’t think of who else would be better suited to the role, since Stannis isn’t one for games and deceit. The only other option that comes to mind is Clayton Suggs. He’s definitely the kind of guy with underground connections in places like Flea Bottom, but like the others, he’s shown his loyalty to Stannis in the series. He’s a scumbag, a brute, and a sadist, but he was willing to die defending Stannis in the middle of the cold.

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Clayton doesn't seem like he's very discreet though.

True, but most of the whisperers aren’t. “Hey, d’you think that really sinister looking man/woman on the small council with the occasional deformity  is the master of whispers?”

31 minutes ago, sifth said:

Mel as Master of Whispers, would be better than even Varys, IMO. She can literally see future threats to her king, before they happen.

Davos as Hand would be really good as well. The guy is as loyal and honorable as Ned Stark.

Yes, but then she has to interpret what she sees… :eek:

11 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Justin doesn't want to join the Kingsguard. Richard Horpe did try to join, but he got turned down for whatever reason. (Did we ever get a reason for that?)

I think it said that Cersei nixed him for something. 

From the wiki:

As a squire Richard wanted to join the Kingsguard, but King Robert I Baratheon chose another knight after Queen Cersei Lannister objected to Richard.[1]