Baldur's Gate 3: Quicksave is my favourite spell

Luzifer's right hand

6 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

What’re the story differences you’re planning this play through ? 

Not many? There were goblins under the tiefling camp, I found and fought the shadow druids this time, and more readily embraced using squidbilaties (I eschewed the use of them last time to "maintain my humanity"), and a few other little things have played out slightly differently, including the hag appearing in the tiefling camp and offering us pie (which I avoided eating), and meeting Karlach before the paladins, which led to a slightly different outcome. 

Still early days though. The plot's pretty clearly laid out with no *that* much room for meaningful narrative shifting - the game's much better at allowing different approachs to play than different narrative paths/branches, really.

19 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Not many? There were goblins under the tiefling camp, I found and fought the shadow druids this time, and more readily embraced using squidbilaties (I eschewed the use of them last time to "maintain my humanity"), and a few other little things have played out slightly differently, including the hag appearing in the tiefling camp and offering us pie (which I avoided eating), and meeting Karlach before the paladins, which led to a slightly different outcome. 

Still early days though. The plot's pretty clearly laid out with no *that* much room for meaningful narrative shifting - the game's much better at allowing different approachs to play than different narrative paths/branches, really.

Are you planning to recruit Minthara this time ? That’s the major deviation from my first playthrough I’m planning (along with a different romance choice )

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

On 4/1/2024 at 8:34 AM, Fez said:

Decided to give honor mode a shot, and am trying to avoid anything truly cheesy to beat it. I also still want to do most of the content, rather than rush through things. So far I'm level 5 and just wiped out the Goblins. I think so long as I don't get too greedy, I'm probably in the clear the rest of the game now that I gotta the powerboost of extra attacks and 3rd level spells. Just gotta delay certain fights until I'm over-leveled (like Auntie Ethel).

The one tight spot so far was fighting the goblins outside the shattered sanctum at level 4. I got over-confident and tried taking on everyone at once without any real prep. Ended up having 3 party members die and had to have Astarion drink the triple-distance jumping potion and escape far enough away so he could flee to camp and pay Withers to bring everyone back.

I tried tactician until reaching the under dark after which it became such a slog I switched back to balanced (also for the sake of my co op friend who’s first playthrough it was ) might go back to it after reaching level 7 when the game becomes significantly easier 

Ha, when I did my playthrough I had no idea Minthara was a possible companion. And I had stayed away from Youtube and other internet sources to not be spoiled on the story, so only after I found out, though I was never going to sacrifice the tieflings to get here, and at the time there was only one twisted way to get here and not have to kill off the tieflings.

If I could recruit Minthara without being sacrificing tieflings or anyone else that's remotely nice, then, hey, maybe. But not really sure I need a raging asshole in my party otherwise...

I was going to post the same thing.

I just have one question for those that have recruited her this way:

Spoiler

Should you wait and attack her last, after the other two? I usually do her first, since her area is isolated.

Edited by Ser Lany

25 minutes ago, Ser Lany said:

Reveal hidden contents

Should you wait and attack her last, after the other two? I usually do her first, since her area is isolated.

I believe the order dosent matter as long as you don’t long rest after knocking her and before talking to Halsin 

Patrick Bateman is the canon Durge 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

If I could recruit Minthara without being sacrificing tieflings or anyone else that's remotely nice, then, hey, maybe. But not really sure I need a raging asshole in my party otherwise...

Haven’t recruited her yet but it seems she does have a redemption arc if you choose to explore that with her….

There is even a unique dialogue with a Karlach origin romance ! 

2 hours ago, Ser Lany said:

Reveal hidden contents

I believe that's still pretty buggy though, since it's not really intended. Stuff like Halsin and Minthara sharing an overlapping tent in camp because they have the same location.

ADD brain is in overdrive today, so I don't want to play either of my two playthroughs I have started.

Instead, I am going for the ADHD achievement - multiclass into all 12 classes without the aid of Withers :rofl: 

My character is going to be mostly useless after the initial beach scene, never getting above level 1.  I started as a barbarian, and adapted the stats to 14 strength and 12 or 13 in everything else. It wouldn't let me pick any other 14's. I figure this way, at least I can always hit things, even if it is only once. Figure I'll just go alphabetical through the classes.

I also picked a custom setup and did everything on Explorer level with multiclassing allowed, since the party will be handicapped with me.

(I'd like to get all the achievements, eventually, although I have my doubts about tactician and honor modes)

On 4/3/2024 at 2:02 AM, Ser Lany said:

(I'd like to get all the achievements, eventually, although I have my doubts about tactician and honor modes)

Why are achievements even a thing? It's only in Steam, as far as I can tell, and I've always ignored it, as it just felt like it was a way to artificially make players more competitive over completely arbitrary accomplishments. Seems like someone at Steam said "what if we gamed games further?" 

*Shrug*

6 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Why are achievements even a thing? It's only in Steam, as far as I can tell, and I've always ignored it, as it just felt like it was a way to artificially make players more competitive over completely arbitrary accomplishments. Seems like someone at Steam said "what if we gamed games further?" 

*Shrug*

You also get a new dice for finishing an honour run 

Just now, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

You also get a new dice for finishing an honour run 

...y...yay?

You know, I only noticed recently that I *somehow* also had hundreds of thousands of Steam points, which...were not translatable into real world currencies. But could buy me...icons and Steam background images? 

None of which I can of course download, because I don't buy games on Steam, I technically buy licenses to access a game. Which is how and why I still prefer GOG. But that's entirely a me thing - I've never been a fan for anything cosmetic, not even as a kid or a teen. Held zero appeal to me. C'est la vie.

But back on topic: when's the next big patch out? I got to the underdark and started having delightful bugs again, like the camera getting stuck in zoomed-out mode, characters not responding (or switching to those characters) when I click on them, and pathfinding glitches between party members - particularly in the hag's house. 

Minor shit, to be sure. But it would be nice to have it fixed. 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

...y...yay?

You know, I only noticed recently that I *somehow* also had hundreds of thousands of Steam points, which...were not translatable into real world currencies. But could buy me...icons and Steam background images? 

None of which I can of course download, because I don't buy games on Steam, I technically buy licenses to access a game. Which is how and why I still prefer GOG. But that's entirely a me thing - I've never been a fan for anything cosmetic, not even as a kid or a teen. Held zero appeal to me. C'est la vie.

But back on topic: when's the next big patch out? I got to the underdark and started having delightful bugs again, like the camera getting stuck in zoomed-out mode, characters not responding (or switching to those characters) when I click on them, and pathfinding glitches between party members - particularly in the hag's house. 

Minor shit, to be sure. But it would be nice to have it fixed. 

Probably may going by their previous timelines but might extend a bit more since they plan to add an extended evil epilogue to the game, like they did with the good playthrough.

Meanwhile I finally reached the nameless isle in DOS2. Act 2 was waaay bigger than the one In BG3, to the point where I felt like quitting the game but I think I’ve finally got a hang of the combat system and the story is more focused now. I can see how BG3 is a much more refined version of this game, the combat similarly gets easier once you cross certain levels and exploration is equally rewarding. The puzzle solving in the quests can be infuriating though, something they removed from Bg3 thankfully and the persuasion system in dos2 just dosent  ever work for me so there’s a lot more combat involved. 

6 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

And now you understand why I noped out of DOS2. Life's too short to play games that infuriate and annoy. 

Yeah my friend keeps begging me to play Portal 2 with him and I can’t believe people willingly pay to subject themselves to brain torture. TBH I admit I completely suck ass at puzzle games/platformers so people good at it probably enjoy it a lot more than me, but I really need a gripping story and characters to get invested in a game(along with deep world building)