A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight Casting Begins (Probably)

Westeros

Out on X, fans waiting for any drip of news regarding House of the Dragon or any other Game of Thrones successor got their wish today ... maybe. This casting call began to make the rounds of fandom, fromthe official account of British casting director Lucy Bevan:

It’s an open casting for an HBO show, presumably filming or about the UK, and they’re looking for just two characters right now which suggests they’re leads: a young boy of 9-10 with green or blue eyes, pale skin, and a “neutral English accent”, and then a “soldier” who is at least 6’4” tall with a “humble disposition” who is also “perceptive and thoughtful” and of any ethnicity. This seems suspiciously like what HBO would call for when casting for the roles of Egg and Ser Duncan the Tall, respectively, for the straight-to-series A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight!

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/Martin_Knight7Kingdoms_title.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

I think casting a mixed race, ethnically ambiguous Dunk might actually work out pretty well: it's a key point that he has no idea who his parents were. He grew up feral on the streets of Flea Bottom, abandoned as a toddler, with no idea as to his origin. It would kind of fit if he's not even sure who is "people" are - a true orphan in the world. 

You know, have someone ask him at some point "hey are you part Dornish"? And for him to pause and tell Egg "I honestly have no idea, for all I know I'm just a darker-featured Baratheon bastard, or maybe my father was some passing sea merchant from a land I haven't even heard of". 

Edited by The Dragon Demands

The big point of consideration here is it says the Egg actor needs to be 9 years old "by March 2024 for licensing": what does this indicate about the schedule?

Does that mean they're filming in Spring 2024 or more like Summer 2024?

It WILL be faster to film this because it's a small scale story, all takes place at one tournament, not much VFX, only six episodes, smaller cast. 

COULD HBO rush this out by Fall 2024? - Possibly, but at the cost of quality. Why would they do that? Lingering ripple effects of the strikes.

What else does HBO have to put in its schedule in 2024?

I'm worried that HotD Season 2 might not get the promised reshoots because otherwise, HBO doesn't really have anything else to air in Summer 2024 - I'd rather they take their time getting it right to put it out in Fall.

Either way as you said, the first three seasons will be released in consecutive years.

For licensing, do they mean  product licensing, like they have a minimum age for when a kid can have their image licensed? Or a term for basically legal benchmarks for the ages of child actors and how long they can work? I recall the youth of some of the GoT actors gave its own challenges to begin with.

I’m guessing that child actors can legally film for longer hours at age 9 than age 8, which is why they want an actor no younger than that. 

They already did the “he’s Dornish!” line about a slightly-tanned white guy in HOTD, so hopefully they don’t recycle it. 

Dunk is going to be a really difficult character to cast based on the physical limitations. They may not have somebody by next March. Regardless, I don’t expect that they’ll release it before 2025.

3 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

The big point of consideration here is it says the Egg actor needs to be 9 years old "by March 2024 for licensing": what does this indicate about the schedule?

Does that mean they're filming in Spring 2024 or more like Summer 2024?

It WILL be faster to film this because it's a small scale story, all takes place at one tournament, not much VFX, only six episodes, smaller cast. 

COULD HBO rush this out by Fall 2024? - Possibly, but at the cost of quality. Why would they do that? Lingering ripple effects of the strikes.

What else does HBO have to put in its schedule in 2024?

I'm worried that HotD Season 2 might not get the promised reshoots because otherwise, HBO doesn't really have anything else to air in Summer 2024 - I'd rather they take their time getting it right to put it out in Fall.

Either way as you said, the first three seasons will be released in consecutive years.

What’s stopping them from doing the reshoots ASAP? The writers strike is over.

They can’t even cast the Euphoria kid if all else fails, since he’s probably in SAG (assuming the strike doesn’t end soon, that is). I’ve seen some people fan casting Oscar Isaac as Baelor, and that’s actually pretty ingenious, but he’d be precluded as well.

Another interesting fancast I’ve seen is Lee Pace as older Dunk. I don’t know if they’ll go that far into the future though. 

I wonder if they’ll even hold auditions for Baelor and Maekar, or if they already have actors in mind for them (if they cast someone even moderately attractive as Egg’s father, people are going to start calling him “Daddy Maekar.” Mark my words).

On 10/22/2023 at 6:11 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I wonder if they’ll even hold auditions for Baelor and Maekar, or if they already have actors in mind for them (if they cast someone even moderately attractive as Egg’s father, people are going to start calling him “Daddy Maekar.” Mark my words).

Considering the inbreeding they could just as well cast Pedro Pascal as Baelor Breakspear. He and Oberyn could easily enough look exactly the same. They could also bring back Harry Lloyd as Maekar or Daeron the Drunk. These people all look alike.

7 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Could we consider 100 percent official they are developing the tv series? 

It was ordered straight to series and they are casting actors. It's going forward at least into production.

Stranger things have happened of late -- there have been shows cancelled mid-production or even after production was done, because the streamer who commissioned it got cold feet or was tightening the belt.

But I don't expect it'll happen to this show. It'll get at least one season.

14 minutes ago, Ran said:

It was ordered straight to series and they are casting actors. It's going forward at least into production.

Stranger things have happened of late -- there have been shows cancelled mid-production or even after production was done, because the streamer who commissioned it got cold feet or was tightening the belt.

But I don't expect it'll happen to this show. It'll get at least one season.

Are you talking about the Long Night show? At least they have something to develope Dunk and Egg

7 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Are you talking about the Long Night show? At least they have something to develope Dunk and Egg

That show was just a pilot order. That's more common, shoot a pilot, see how it works or not, and decide what to do from there.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

That show was just a pilot order. That's more common, shoot a pilot, see how it works or not, and decide what to do from there.

Do you know something about Aegon Conquest series? Variety said HBO is going to develope something, they talked about a movie or a mini series

Edited by KingAerys_II

I am thinking it may run more like Disney's shows, 40-45 minute episodes, rather than full 60 minute shows as GoT and HotD often were. That would make it a bit easier. 

For sure, I suspect the first episode may be more of a prequel to the novella, establishing Ser Arlan and Dunk's relationship over time, what lessons Dunk learns, the life of a hedge knight and his squire, etc. Also means Arlan could be some big name actor everyone loves and knows who can die off at the start. (Mark Rylance, please!)

People hope Pedro Pascal as Baelor Breakspear, he already played the part of Oberyn, so it's almost impossible, same thing for Dunk, some think Dickon Tarly actor was perfect to play the part. However it's clear the author is going to release another novella within 3-4 years, there is material just for 1 season

Edited by KingAerys_II