Nymor letter theories

KingAerys_II

On 11/7/2023 at 3:22 PM, KingAerys_II said:

The Vulture King is associated to House Blackmont, Benedict Blackmont was one of the petty kings Nymeria defeated to be princess of Dorne. 

Why is the son of Aegon and Rhaenys associated to House Blackmont?

Why is the sigil of House Blackmont a vulture clutching a baby? Was it always so?

I certainly make no claims to have proof of anything, just speculation.

On 11/7/2023 at 3:22 PM, KingAerys_II said:

Why should Aenys brother lead an army against his family? 

To avenge the destruction visited upon Dorne during the First Dornish War.

5 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

It's not possible that a dying Rhaenys convinced Aegon on Dragonstone to make peace to stop the devastation that almost annihilated the entire dornish population, right?

Yes, it is next to impossible. Try jumping off a building to see for yourself how unlikely it is.

5 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

THE FEAST, YOU ARE SPEAKING OF, HAPPENED BEFORE THEY MADE THOSE ATROCITIES, GENIUS. 

You talking about War of the Roses or Aegon's Dornish War?

On 11/3/2023 at 3:17 AM, Alester Florent said:

I don't like any of the "official" explanations, and I'm not fond of what seems to be the most popular fan one either (i.e. that the Dornish had identified Aenys was not Aegon's son and threatened to expose this).

The only other thing I can think of is that they had somehow come up with a reliable way of killing dragons, and threatened to unleash this unless Aegon called off his attack. His journey back to Dragonstone may have been something to do with this, to check on the eggs and hatchlings there; perhaps the Dornish even offered proof and he went to investigate.

It's still not great and leaves a lot of unanswered questions but it's also the kind of thing that could conceivably be revealed later in the story, since there are points to be addressed about both the origin of dragons and the reasons for their decline, and depending what those were, it could conceivably explain Aegon's reluctance to risk his dragons in a continued war with Dorne.

I believe the Prince of Dorne himself sailed to Dragonstone. His daughter with the letter and the dragon's bones were a decoy. All eyes were on her, and it's one of the few times that both Aegon and Visenya (and their respective dragons) are at KL. It means that Maegor (a babe back then) was left alone at Dragonstone. Sure, there were other dragons on Dragonstone, but all without a rider. Aegon and Visenya were both in KL wth their dragons for Nymor's daughter. This made Dragonstone vulnerable and an ideal location for the Prince of Dorne to pay Dragonstone a visit and entertain baby Maegor in his lap (much like Visenya once did with the Lord of the Vale).

I believe that is what the letter that Nymor's daughter handed to Aegon said (While you're reading this, I'm in Dragonstone with your son in my lap and the bones of your wife as a gift. Come see me!), and why Aegon showed signs of anger, restraint, secretiveness and self-harm. He realized he had been tricked and Visenya and Aegon fell hook, line and sinker for the decoy. That's why he flew off to Dragonstone immediately after. He met Nymor at Dragonstone, and I believe Nymor had the remains/bones of Aegon's dead wife with him. Aegon burned her on Dragonstone the same night, and a peace was agreed upon. Fire and Blood for peace.

Edited by sweetsunray

Then if Meraxes was really killed by a volcanic explosion under the Brimstone, it means the dornishmen killed one dragon with luck, so they had nothing to resist to them by using force. 

The volcanic activity under the Brimstone is the only scientific explanation why the water are highly sulfuric and toxic

12 hours ago, Mourning Star said:

Why is the sigil of House Blackmont a vulture clutching a baby? Was it always so?

I certainly make no claims to have proof of anything, just speculation.

To avenge the destruction visited upon Dorne during the First Dornish War.

Benedict worshipped a dark god and was said to have the power to transform himself into a vulture of enormous size, source :TWOIAF

7 hours ago, SaffronLady said:

So Nymor launched a surprise assault on the castle of Dragonstone?

A surprise visit, rather than an assault. ;) Like Visenya paid the Lord of the Vale a friendly visit once.

Symbolically the letter is the final stroke from Sunspear's golden arm. Paper and words can cut deeper than an assault would have. And it drew Aegon's "own blood", which can be seen as an analogy to the children of his "own blood". Soft, friendly words, and a non violent visit, but the threat and danger beneath it was clear.

Notice how Aegon and Visenya were never ever in one place together anymore after the letter, and always kept the heir and his spare apart. Sure, the world book and Fire and Blood speculate on Aegon and Visenya disliking one another. But it makes sense for them to not put their eggs in one basket after the letter that upset Aegon so and made him fly to Dragonstone asap to return the next morning with "war with Dorne is over, we make peace."

Edited by sweetsunray

3 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

A surprise assault while the Velaryon fleet is around Dragonstone and there are Balerion, Vhagar, probably the Cannibal and the other dragons, it's not easy to take control of Dragonstone 

Belaron and Vhagar were in KL. All the other dragons don't matter, because they were riderless.

Edited by sweetsunray

16 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

A surprise visit, rather than an assault. ;) Like Visenya paid the Lord of the Vale a friendly visit once.

Symbolically the letter is the final stroke from Sunspear's golden arm. Paper and words can cut deeper than an assault would have. And it drew Aegon's "own blood", which can be seen as an analogy to the children of his "own blood". Soft, friendly words, and a non violent visit, but the threat and danger beneath it was clear.

Notice how Aegon and Visenya were never ever in one place together anymore after the letter, and always kept the heir and his spare apart. Sure, the world book and Fire and Blood speculate on Aegon and Visenya disliking one another. But it makes sense for them to not put their eggs in one basket after the letter that upset Aegon so and made him fly to Dragonstone asap to return the next morning with "war with Dorne is over, we make peace."

A threat of an attack on Dragonstone would have exposed Deria to the nasty stuff Aegon vassals (Orys and Lord Oakheart) wanted to do to her

37 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I find it unlikely that Nymor could just stroll into Dragonstone and lay hands on Aegon's son. The dragons may not be there but even if he somehow made it past the royal navy (and any patrols off the Stormlands coast) it's still a fortress with a castellan and garrison. It's not like Visenya flying to the Eyrie where she has a dragon that can bypass all the defences and potentially destroy the whole thing single-handed.

Moreover, by going to Dragonstone secretly without any assurance of safe conduct, Nymor's placing himself in a position where Aegon can just arrest him or worse, particularly with Deria in his power as well. It strikes me as not just highly improbable in terms of his ability to pull it off, but a blunder even if he did.

Granted, it's more likely that he was somehow able to infiltrate Dragonstone alone (or with a bag of bones) without anyone noticing than with a critically ill Rhaenys, but neither scenario seems at all likely.

And if he was planning to return Rhaenys's bones anyway, why not do so officially with the embassy, rather than just send Meraxes's skull and run the risk that that will be seen as an insult with Aegon's taking Visenya's or Lord Oakheart's advice?

Edited by Alester Florent

MY DEFINITIVE THEORY

Meria and Ullers tortured Rhaenys , Deria and Nymor hired assassins to rescue her, the four consecutive Ullers died because of Nymor assassins, it is stated that only two assassins survived to receive the ransom:the assassins of Lady Toland and Lord Fowler.

So they rescued her and she was shipped to Dragonstone to receive the gift of mercy by Aegon himself, Rhaenys convinced Aegon to stop the devastation that almost annihilated the entire dornish population.
I don't think she was glad her siblings were destroying an entire civilization because of her fall at Hellholt,  she is described as a kinderhearted person, so she was not the kind of person that enjoyed sufferings of civilians.
She was smuggled to Dragonstone in secret to hide her mutilations from Orys and Visenya.

The theory must explain the following points that I used as clues to elaborate my reconstruction of the facts:

1.Aegon had good relations with Deria, he and Aenys celebrated a feast for peace in Sunspear just after Rhaena birth.

2. Aegon clenched the letter so hard his hand is bleeding (the letter reveals Meria, who is dead, tortured his sister who was alive).

3.Aegon flies to Dragonstone for some reason. (Rhaenys shipped to Dragonstone, she was in a brutal state, however she is able to explain her journey in Dorne to Aegon).

4.Her body was never recovered. (she is euthanized by Aegon and her body is burned as tradition)

5.The ransom strategy was effective against the Ullers. It has no sense that an entire Tyrell army was no able to catch them and some people hired by the Iron Throne were able to murder 4 consecutive Lord of Hellholt in the desert. It was effective against the Ullers that were the lords that could have Rhaenys alive.