NBA the slenderman cometh.

BigFatCoward

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Agreed, their refusal to use their cap space in the offseason to improve the team was inexcusable.  They did lock up Vassell though which was productive.

Yeah, and his contract is pretty team friendly. Idk if he'll ever be an All-Star, but he's a top 50ish player right now and some nights he can go off. If he can take another leap that deal will be a bargain. It's also good to see that both in college and the pros he's been a good outside shooter (excluding his rookie year, but that is common). 

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't understand how he got 1 rebound. I feel if I was that tall, stood in the paint, put my hands up and closed my eyes I'd get more than 1. 

One of the issues was he wasn't always in the paint - Carter did a good job bringing him out to contest the 3.  Bigger issue is there weren't many defensive rebounds to go around.  Magic shot about 60 percent both from the field and from 3.

So I "watched" the Magic-Spurs game this afternoon while I was puttering around in the garage, prompted by the discussion about Wemby's 1-rebound game.

Some days, it is clear that a 20-year-old kid is going to play like a kid.  Unlike Kareem or Bird, who came into the league at 23-ish after three or four years of serious college competition, he is just young and inexperienced, and sometimes that shows up in a game.  And he is still not yet grown into a man's frame, and he runs like his feet hurt, and some nights you are the windshield, and other nights you are the bug.  For me, you can only start comparing the effect VW has on his team to KAJ or LB or Bob McAdoo, etc. once he is also 23 years old.

I compared his play to Wagner, and it very much reminded me of our high school boy's team last season.  Monty William's son, a freshman, was a big, talented kid who practices hard and has a lot of potential.  But he was still a freshman, and the analog to VW.  There were games last season where the smart move was to put the ball in the hands of the senior who was smaller, less athletic, and more experienced, because for the senior, the game wasn't moving at an overwhelming speed.  In this analogy, Wagner was the senior, and although he is smaller and has a lower ceiling than Wemby, he has reached and become comfortable in his full adult size, and the game is not requiring him to consider options before he takes action.

There is every reason to believe that Monty's son, and VW, will achieve more in the future than the senior last year / Wagner.  But not this year, because the young guys are still have to look, to see, and to process before they take action.  It is just a matter of experience.

And the Spurs aren't really holding VW in the paint, so when the ball goes up, he could be anywhere on the court.  Other players are just reacting to the ball faster, and they are often closer to the rim - thus the single rebound.

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Monty William's son

Didn't know you coached Monty Williams' son, that's pretty cool!  A couple more years under you and he probably could get a good amount of minutes on the current Pistons team.  :D

Wemby just also isn't a very physical player yet. He's not Chet skinny, but he's not much thicker and Chet actually has more experience and is a better shooter. Unless I'm misreading the interwebs wrong Wemby has basically played the equivalent of an NBA season against much weaker competition over the course of four years. That combined with his size is why I worried about him getting hurt. I've been shitting on the Spurs for roster decisions, but I think they've done a good job managing his minutes in most games. 

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah the Raptors definitely confused me yesterday.  Seemed pretty clear they were going into tank, or at least rebuild, mode with the Anunoby and Siakam trades - as well as giving away Schroder yesterday - then they give up a first rounder?  There's nothing worse than having a GM/Front Office that can't pick a direction.

I *guess* the rationale is they really like Agbaji and felt they already had too many picks this June.  At least that's what The Athletic beat writers tell me.  Hohkay.

The draft pick is going to be 28-30 in a dogshit draft when they already have picks in the late teens and 31.  They think the pick is less valuable than Agbaji which it likely is.  They also added  a solid backup center who reportedly is already going to resign with a home country discount.

They gave away Schroeder for cap space and because Schroeder asked to be traded because he plays where some of the young guys are playing and so wont play as much as he wants to. They are definitely soft tanking but also wouldn't really mind if they make the play in and make the playoffs.  They likely aren't keeping their own draft pick regardless.

8 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

They also added  a solid backup center who reportedly is already going to resign with a home country discount.

I really wouldn't count on Olynyk giving them a significant discount just cuz he's from Canada.  But yeah, you're probably right that Agbaji will be more useful than that pick.

18 hours ago, DMC said:

Didn't know you coached Monty Williams' son, that's pretty cool!  A couple more years under you and he probably could get a good amount of minutes on the current Pistons team.  :D

No, I didn't mean to give the impression I coached him - I work mainly with the girls.  He had access to much more capable and excellent coaching, and he has all the tools.

But he and his individual coach would use the gym in the hour prior to our summer sessions.  So I got to watch him finish his workouts as we set up, plus the varsity boys' HUDL film for each game is the second half of the girls' film, and I would look at some of that as well.  That game film is where you would see the mental game difference between a freshman and a senior.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

But he's not a generational talent.  :P

Notably, he also had 7 turnovers...

I don't think anyone doubts his tall ass as a rim protector. It's all the other stuff that's wildly inconsistent and the highlights mask pretty glaring flaws. But he's a kid so we'll see what he is in 2-3 years. I just thought he would have more impact on winning even if the Spurs have a bottom five roster outside of their best two players. Just looking at the standings I'm still surprised the Hornets have more wins.

I understand why the Zardos suck, but again, the Pistons are a fucking disaster. If I'm Cade I take less after my rookie deal is up to leave. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah I get your point, mostly just teasing.  Still, 27/14/10/5/2 in 28 minutes?  C’mon man.

Not going to argue he doesn't have crazy nights. It just is very streaky right know. I'd give the ROTY to Chet still.

Meanwhile, the top two teams in the West are going at it and the Wolves are up 22 in the 4th. They blow leads like this all the time,  but their size and speed has been an issue for the Clippers. 

Sigh, just a perfect example of a broken system where money washes everything away. He didn't even deny it.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39519743/hornets-miles-bridges-gets-3-criminal-counts-dismissed

Three years probation and 10 years of protection means everyone knows he did it. The prosecutors are cowards. 

What a comedy. Just like with the NFL the NBA needs to kill the actual game. Almost none of the players want to be there, they just want the contract boosters. They all seem to like the skills competition a lot more and even that is meh. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

What a comedy. Just like with the NFL the NBA needs to kill the actual game. Almost none of the players want to be there, they just want the contract boosters. They all seem to like the skills competition a lot more and even that is meh. 

i don't know what the answer is, but that score is just stupid. 

i still think USA v rest of the world would be far more interesting and played a lot harder. 

Also, anyone who play on a team in the all star game that concedes over 150 points should be ineligible for the all defensive team. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Makes that scene in Last Dance when Michael is talking about wanting to defend Kobe to shut the rookie up seem like it was an entire other universe.

Edited by Rhom