NBA the slenderman cometh.

BigFatCoward

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

i don't know what the answer is, but that score is just stupid. 

i still think USA v rest of the world would be far more interesting and played a lot harder. 

Also, anyone who play on a team in the all star game that concedes over 150 points should be ineligible for the all defensive team. 

The only answer I've got won't actually work. If you had a check for $10M sitting courtside for each player on the winning side they'd go all out, but the game doesn't generate enough revenue to make that possible. 

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Makes that scene in Last Dance when Michael is talking about wanting to defend Kobe to shut the rookie up seem like it was an entire other universe.

The fans and the owners benefitted from the real enmity that existed between teams and players when Michael entered the league, and he carried that worldview his entire career.

The players probably have a healthier attitude and better relationships these days, but the ASG has been worthless for a couple of decades as a competitive endeavor.

The Bigs had a stretch where the outcome of the MLB ASG determined the home field advantage for the World Series, although I don't know how useful that really was.

Other than the $10 million check idea, it is difficult to see how to fix it these days.  Even this sort of competition seems unlikely these days.

I would bet that nothing inside the halfcourt line gets you 3 wouldve been an improvement.

By that token there wouldve been only that one 52 footer counting and way less of this Globetrotter-ish passing up fundamental baskets for a kickout and longer shots.

There wouldve been more fastbreaks and more rim challenges.

Doncic shouldve been benched for whatever the hell he was doing out there with that 1/3 speed loaf. What a gross game, i only got sucked into watching because something else wasnt to stream for another hour yet and had to kill an hour.:thumbsdown:

Tinkering with the in game rules won't change much. The actual game and winning MVP really doesn't matter anymore. All the players care about is how getting selected impacts their contracts. Idk how you improve the quality of the game that is realistic. I'm watching a sports show right now and they did come up with a few ideas: As mentioned Murika vs. World because the latter would play hard and that would shame the former to do so as well, and then my money idea, but the losing players would literally have to give them the money. Obviously not $10M, but that could get them going. The other one is try what the MLB did like Wilbur said, but I'm not a fan of that personally. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

Maybe a mini tournament of the 6 divisions against each other. 7 players per team (4 bigs,3 guards) 15 games of about 8 mins. 

It's a lot of all stars though. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Maybe a mini tournament of the 6 divisions against each other. 7 players per team (4 bigs,3 guards) 15 games of about 8 mins. 

It's a lot of all stars though. 

It's an interesting thought and does address the idea that there could be at any given time 50 players someone would say is top 25. But overall the tournament concept is really not something here. I'm not sure how you make the international football model work in the US. I think fans would accept it over time, but my guess is they would reject it at first and because our sports are corporations they'd probably just bail on the idea. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

I tend to think this is trying to fix a problem that ain't broke.  Nobody is ever gonna really care about the All-Star Game.  To belabor metaphors, the NFL has entirely punted on their own.  Who cares?  Let them score 200+ points, it's a pointless game and - more importantly - SHOULD be a pointless game.  Generally it's just a way to give everybody a week off.

Further, Steph Curry and Sabrina Ionescu figured out themselves how to make the weekend interesting and capture the public's imagination, and obviously it had nothing to do with the actual game.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Further, Steph Curry and Sabrina Ionescu figured out themselves how to make the weekend interesting and capture the public's imagination, and obviously it had nothing to do with the actual game.

Kind of playing off of this, I think it was funny having NFL stars play dodgeball. Just do shit like that. I'd rather watch the best basketball players in the world play laser tag than what we got Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

They don't even play regular season games because they need to rest so you sure as heck can't add more playing time to them for meaningless exhibition.

And going further, why do we want them to?  If you want All-Stars to play hard in the ASG, you have to risk injury, and why would that be desirable?  Why does this game need to be saved?

35 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

And going further, why do we want them to?  If you want All-Stars to play hard in the ASG, you have to risk injury, and why would that be desirable?  Why does this game need to be saved?

The counterpoint is almost all these dudes play in private and/or non NBA sanctioned exhibition games were they try harder. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

The counterpoint is almost all these dudes play in private and/or non NBA sanctioned exhibition games were they try harder. 

The NBA doesn't own these players.  What they want to do in their spare time is up to them. 

25 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Their contracts do control some of the things they can do. 

Not in any way relevant to this conversation.  The hazardous activities clauses are for things like motorcycling, skydiving, professional boxing, etc.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Not in any way relevant to this conversation.  The hazardous activities clauses are for things like motorcycling, skydiving, professional boxing, etc.

Owners also shadow ban players from international games and private ones. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Owners also shadow ban players from international games and private ones. 

The latter is...questionable, to say the least.  And by definition has nothing to do with their contracts.