Grizzlies (15th) 

Bulls (13th)

Hornets (11th)

Magic (7th)

Clippers (11th)

Losses

Nuggets (1st)

Raptors (8th)

Its still early, and most teams haven't separated themselves from the pack in the middle, but so far it seems they've just had a favourable schedule. 

I thought the Clippers were doing fine before the trade. Westbrook was even shooting well. Maybe they weren't good enough to win, but Harden's defense outweighs any benefits they might get offensively. Unless he finally decides to put in some effort?

4 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I thought the Clippers were doing fine before the trade. Westbrook was even shooting well. Maybe they weren't good enough to win, but Harden's defense outweighs any benefits they might get offensively. Unless he finally decides to put in some effort?

Think about how the idea of Westbrook, Kawhi, George and Harden on the same team would have blown your mind six or seven years ago.  But now today, it seems like the Clips are sort of an afterthought.

Also, re the thread title, isn't it a shame that Kevin Durant rejected the nickname The Slim Reaper?

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Think about how the idea of Westbrook, Kawhi, George and Harden on the same team would have blown your mind six or seven years ago.  But now today, it seems like the Clips are sort of an afterthought.

Also, re the thread title, isn't it a shame that Kevin Durant rejected the nickname The Slim Reaper?

Other than Westbrook and maybe George, I think that each of them could elevate a team by themselves then. George had his unfortunate injury that might have stunted his peak, but its not that inconceivable. Still, that was then. And even then, I'd have doubted the fit with Harden and Westbrook even though they made the Finals as teammates. Plus George and Kawhi also play the same position. Even if it isn't a big deal to play up or down one position, you'd like a more natural fit.

I strongly recommend this video on basketball movement and motion to anyone watching the NBA.  This creator's point is focused on the international tournaments, but the concepts of movement and motion apply to the NBA season just as well.

I think that this concept will play out in that an M&M team (the Kings, even the Thunder this season) will experience more positive outcomes than a static or heliocentric team (Atlanta, the Clips, etc.)

Eh, his logic is pretty heavy on hindsight as well. Think is it still focusing on what rather than why and how. You're not going to get good shots just by passing across the court. You need to draw defenders first. And how do you do that? 

I mean, he's not wrong. The Mitchell and Gobert Jazz did nothing but cross court passes that remarkably didn't result in many turnovers and became the number one offense, but they also collapsed in the playoffs. Also, a solid part of that number one offense is due entirely to Mitchell heroics.

I think that teams should play to their strengths. Its ultimately just resource management. Whether you get space from a cross court pass or if you clear one side of the court for your star player to work one on one, you should lean on the one that most reliably gets your results and be ready to adapt if it doesn't.

Not to mention that sometimes it just comes down to shot making. That same career and season 30% player that you deliberately leave open might air ball open corner threes and shoot 15-20% one night and make 70% of the same shots the next. It evens out in the long run, but in single games or even a short series, a hot streak might be all it takes for an upset.

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Grizzlies better hope that Harden gets more playing time.

-28 night in 29 minutes, lol. Idk why anyone would want him at this point. 

Anyways, Wolves win again with Ant scoring 33 despite not being able to throw the ball into the ocean from 3. Warriors look like they're in trouble if they don't make a major trade. Curry has no help right now.

Why would anyone want Harden on their team?

It's not as if he's just recently become toxic, off the top of my head, he's pulled the same stunt to get out of Rockets. It would be understandable if he was at his peak form but he hasn't been anywhere near that for ages now. On top of that, he would be earning 35M$ this season so it's not as if signing him would free up cap space or anything. His contract does expire at the end of the season, though, so Clippers might be planning a bit forward, I don't know...

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Philly must be over the moon to get rid of him, seeing how they are performing.  

I guess the cliche is true sometimes, there can be addition by subtraction. They do need to add another top 50ish guy though. 

I'm not surprised at all that the Clippers are worse and the Sixers are better with Harden gone.  The Sixers still aren't talented enough to win the East, but they're closer than they were with Harden.  Now at least they can focus on what Maxey+Embiid can do, and try and figure out what borderline all-star they might be able to pick up with their trade assets.  With the Celtics and Bucks as strong as they are, it's hard to see them making a big enough move, but strange things can happen.  This new Celtics team might really struggle with containing Embiid. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I'm not surprised at all that the Clippers are worse and the Sixers are better with Harden gone.  The Sixers still aren't talented enough to win the East, but they're closer than they were with Harden.  Now at least they can focus on what Maxey+Embiid can do, and try and figure out what borderline all-star they might be able to pick up with their trade assets.  With the Celtics and Bucks as strong as they are, it's hard to see them making a big enough move, but strange things can happen.  This new Celtics team might really struggle with containing Embiid. 

Celtics yes, but Bucks? I don't know, they have looked pretty terrible on the defensive end. They need to figure something out to add perimeter and transition defense to that roster, or they wont make it out of the second round. 

Been wondering if the Bucks still make the Lillard trade if they know he ends up in Boston. 

Edited by Relic

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

DeRozan did one of the best assists i've ever seen last night, can't link for some reason but go search it out. 

Wow, you are not kidding!

Let's see if this works - DeRozan continues his career-long cosplay of Old Man Jordan.

Try that link for a mind-blowing pass.

Edited by Wilbur
added links

The Chets are smacking the Wembys around. The Thunder could be a really scary team in the not too distant future with just the talent they have and they've got so many draft picks to play with for the rest of the decade.