FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)

Mladen

The 2023 Producers Guild Of America (PGA) Winners

Spoiler

Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures

• American Fiction
  • Anatomy Of A Fall
  • Barbie
  • The Holdovers
  • Killers Of The Flower Moon
  • Maestro
  • Oppenheimer
  • Past Lives
  • Poor Things
  • The Zone Of Interest

Award for Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures

• The Boy And The Heron
  • Elemental
  • Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

The Award for Outstanding Producer of Documentary Motion Picture

• 20 Days in Mariupol  
  • American Symphony
  • Beyond Utopia
  • The Disappearance Of Shere Hite
  • The Mother of All Lies
  • Smoke Sauna Sisterhood
  • Squaring The Circle (The Story of Hipgnosis)

Every year, when I open the thread I forget to start with Berlin, Sundance, Cannes, Venice and Toronto winners. Except for the last two, they rarely play into award season. This year may be different so I will take a mental note to start next year's thread with festival winners. 

3 hours ago, Mladen said:

Every year, when I open the thread I forget to start with Berlin, Sundance, Cannes, Venice and Toronto winners. Except for the last two, they rarely play into award season. This year may be different so I will take a mental note to start next year's thread with festival winners. 

Awards don't count unless they're American or British?

40 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Awards don't count unless they're American or British?

I didn't mean to say that :P I meant that Berlin, Sundance and Cannes lately have little to no influence on what movies and performances will be the focus of award season that culminates with Oscars. 

Yes, award season, such as it is, is focused on American and British movies. Lately, Oscars are more and more international but they remain primarily American award. 

That doesn't mean other awards don't count, just that they don't play a role in the season of film and TV awards in States. I mean, Turkish TV scene has Golden Butterflies in December... But we all know those winners won't influence Emmys. 

Surprised to open up Netflix just now and see the SAG awards promoted at the top there.  Anyone know if any part of it is worth watching?

Edit:  oh yeah, Pedro Pascal is kind of drunk.

Edited by SpaceChampion

18 hours ago, Mladen said:

I didn't mean to say that :P I meant that Berlin, Sundance and Cannes lately have little to no influence on what movies and performances will be the focus of award season that culminates with Oscars. 

Yes, award season, such as it is, is focused on American and British movies. Lately, Oscars are more and more international but they remain primarily American award. 

That doesn't mean other awards don't count, just that they don't play a role in the season of film and TV awards in States. I mean, Turkish TV scene has Golden Butterflies in December... But we all know those winners won't influence Emmys. 

I mean, Cannes, Berlinale and Venice Film Festivals are pretty big in the world of cinema. A bit more important than the Turkish TV scene, I'd say.

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I mean, Cannes, Berlinale and Venice Film Festivals are pretty big in the world of cinema. A bit more important than the Turkish TV scene, I'd say.

Yes, but all of those three, in the past 10 years, only Venice proved to be impactful in terms of setting momentum for award season that culminates with Oscars. There's a reason why I didn't post Berlinare winners, because they will be of importance next season (2024/2025), not this one. That's why I said I should open next year with all festival winners.

Oscar season doesn't have an official start. These threads start at the beginning of December, with the announcement of NYFCC winners. Many pundits believe Venice Film Festival is the one that opens the Oscar season, as most Oscar contenders like to have premieres there (POOR THINGS, MAESTRO, THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN, TAR and many more in recent years).

It's simply the matter of calendar, nothing else. When I open the thread for next season, I will open with them, I promise. 

@SpaceChampion, last year, Netflix and SAG-AFTRA made a deal about live streaming of the ceremony. As someone who watched the ceremony, I have never seen 2 hours last so long. It was dreadful. Good set of winners, semi-interesting speeches, but the presenters and backstage interviews... Meh! 

Edited by Mladen

16 hours ago, Mladen said:

Yes, but all of those three, in the past 10 years, only Venice proved to be impactful in terms of setting momentum for award season that culminates with Oscars. There's a reason why I didn't post Berlinare winners, because they will be of importance next season (2024/2025), not this one. That's why I said I should open next year with all festival winners.

Oscar season doesn't have an official start. These threads start at the beginning of December, with the announcement of NYFCC winners. Many pundits believe Venice Film Festival is the one that opens the Oscar season, as most Oscar contenders like to have premieres there (POOR THINGS, MAESTRO, THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN, TAR and many more in recent years).

It's simply the matter of calendar, nothing else. When I open the thread for next season, I will open with them, I promise. 

@SpaceChampion, last year, Netflix and SAG-AFTRA made a deal about live streaming of the ceremony. As someone who watched the ceremony, I have never seen 2 hours last so long. It was dreadful. Good set of winners, semi-interesting speeches, but the presenters and backstage interviews... Meh! 

I'm saying that the awards at the biggest film destivala are pretty damn important in the world of film by itself, and not just by whether or not they mean something for the Oscars. Oscars are not the be all and end all of all film awards, especially since they usually ignore most of the world cinema.

And I'm not seeing any other thread here about film awards.

First things first, this thread has officially garnered more than 100k views. I think it really speaks about popularity of movies being in contention for film awards this year. In comparison, the thread last year has less than 30k views. What to say, thank you all for your attention :D

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm saying that the awards at the biggest film destivala are pretty damn important in the world of film by itself, and not just by whether or not they mean something for the Oscars. Oscars are not the be all and end all of all film awards, especially since they usually ignore most of the world cinema.

And I'm not seeing any other thread here about film awards.

And you are not wrong. Years ago, when I started these threads, the idea was to talk about the major film awards - SAG, Globes, BAFTA and ultimately Oscars and the movies in contention for those awards. Later, it got expanded to critics associations and some international awards. 

Yes, it is my mistake that I didn't start with festival awards - Sundance, Berlin, Cannes, Venice and Toronto when I begin these threads (probably some others too like Locarno, Telluride etc.) and that was a note I will have in mind when I open the thread for 2024/25 season. I will also include important movie awards like Cesar, Goya, EFA and Asian Film Awards. I think that will give us the well-rounded coverage of film awards across the globe. 

But, given their prominence, Oscars will remain the ending point for a season. Which is why I left out Sundance and Berlinare winners earlier this month. 

So, the first and the second slates of presenters have been announced. We also have the information that 5 previous winners in each of acting categories will present the nominees. 

Spoiler
  • MAHERSHALA ALI
  • NICOLAS CAGE
  • JAMIE LEE CURTIS
  • BRENDAN FRASER
  • JESSICA LANGE
  • MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY
  • LUPITA NYONG'O
  • AL PACINO
  • MICHELLE PFEIFFER
  • KE HUY QUAN
  • SAM ROCKWELL
  • MICHELLE YEOH
  • ZENDAYA
  • BAD BUNNY
  • CHRIS HEMSWORTH
  • DWAYNE JOHNSON
  • MICHAEL KEATON
  • REGINA KING
  • JENNIFER LAWRENCE
  • KATE MCKINNON
  • RITA MORENO
  • JOHN MULANEY
  • CATHERINE O'HARA
  • OCTAVIA SPENCER
  • RAMY YOUSSEF

All four last year winners will be present, therefore each will get to present one of the nominees and eventually hand the Oscar. 

Some notes on already-announced presenters, with regard to possibility of them presenting the acting nominees:

Spoiler

Mahershala Ali has won two Best Actor in a Supporting Role Oscars
Nicolas Cage has won a Best Actor in a Leading Role Oscar
Jessica Lange has won two Oscars, one in each category
Matthew McConaughey has won a Best Actor in a Leading Role Oscar
Lupita N'Yongo has won a Best Actress in a Supporting Role Oscar
Al Pacino has won a Best Actor in a Leading Role Oscar
Sam Rockwell has won a Best Actor in a Supporting Role Oscar
Regina King has won a Best Actress in a Supporting Role Oscar.
Jennifer Lawrence has won a Best Actress in a Leading Role Oscar
Rita Moreno has won a Best Actress in a Supporting Role Oscar
Octavia Spencer has won a Best Actress in a Supporting Role Oscar

Monday's The Big Picture podcast from The Ringer has a pretty neat discussion with a former member of the Academy of Motion Pictures staff who discusses in detail how Oscar voting works. Illuminating for those who don't know too much about it. 

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Monday's The Big Picture podcast from The Ringer has a pretty neat discussion with a former member of the Academy of Motion Pictures staff who discusses in detail how Oscar voting works. Illuminating for those who don't know too much about it. 

The most confusing to people is preferential rating. Unlike nominations, winners are chosen by entire Academy. What is essential in preferential voting is to be liked enough. For example, OPPENHEIMER is perhaps not the most liked movie in terms that many doubt that 40-50% would vote for it as their #1. But for most members of Academy, OPPENHEIMER is probably in top 5, if not Top 3. And that is what gives OPPENHEIMER the edge over all others. I expect it is in Top 3 or Top 5 in 80-90% ballots, if not more. 

So, for OPPENHEIMER... Not sure if it can win in the first round, but by the second, I think it would get its 50%+1. 

Pity we don't get post-Oscar statistics. It would be amazing to see how voters voted. 

3 minutes ago, Mladen said:

Pity we don't get post-Oscar statistics. It would be amazing to see how voters voted

Yes, I was thinking that that'd be neat to see. I guess they've decided that there'll be hurt feelings for whoever ends up last in each category, and so on.

Yeah I've heard calls to publicize the voting since probably the Titanic vs. LA Confidential argument -- including by myself.  Seems rather apparent the primary concern is indeed trying not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Which I guess makes sense.  Actors/artists tend to be more sensitive.  Or at least much more dramatic!

The 2023 Cinema Audio Society (CAS) Winners

Spoiler

Motion Pictures – Live Action

• “Barbie” – Production Mixer – Nina Rice Re-Recording Mixer – Kevin O’Connell CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Ai-Ling Lee CAS Scoring Mixer – Peter Cobbin Scoring Mixer – Kirsty Whalley ADR Mixer – Bobby Johanson CAS Foley Mixer – Kevin Schultz
  • “Ferrari” – Production Mixer – Lee Orloff CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Andy Nelson CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Tony Lamberti Re-Recording Mixer – Luke Schwarzweller CAS Scoring Mixer – Andrew Dudman ADR Mixer – Matthew Wood Foley Mixer – Giorgi Lekishvili
  • “Killers of the Flower Moon” – Production Mixer – Mark Ulano CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Tom Fleischman CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Eugene Gearty Foley Mixer – George A. Lara CAS
  • “Maestro” – Production Mixer – Steven A. Morrow CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Tom Ozanich Re-Recording Mixer – Dean A. Zupancic Scoring Mixer – Nick Baxter ADR Mixer – Bobby Johanson CAS Foley Mixer – Walter Spencer
  • “Oppenheimer” – Production Mixer – Willie D. Burton CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Gary A. Rizzo CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Kevin O’Connell CAS Scoring Mixer – Chris Fogel CAS Foley Mixer – Tavish Grade Foley Mixer – Jack Cucci Foley Mixer – Mikel Parraga-Wills

Motion Pictures – Animated

• “Elemental” – Original Dialogue Mixer – Vince Caro CAS Original Dialogue Mixer – Paul McGrath CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Stephen Urata Re-Recording Mixer – Ren Klyce Scoring Mixer – Thomas Vicari CAS Foley Mixer – Scott Curtis
  • “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” – Original Dialogue Mixer – Brian Smith Original Dialogue Mixer – Aaron Hasson Original Dialogue Mixer – Howard London CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Michael Semanick Re-Recording Mixer – Juan Peralta Scoring Mixer – Sam Okell Foley Mixer – Randy K. Singer CAS
  • “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem” – Original Dialogue Mixer – Doc Kane CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Michael Semanick Re-Recording Mixer – Mark Mangini Scoring Mixer – Trent Reznor Scoring Mixer – Atticus Ross ADR Mixer – Chris Cirino Foley Mixer – Chelsea Body
  • “The Boy and the Heron” – Original Dialogue & Re-Recording Mixer – Kôji Kasamats
  • “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” – Original Dialogue Mixer – Carlos Sotolongo CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Pete Horner Re-Recording Mixer – Juan Peralta Scoring Mixer – Casey Stone CAS ADR Mixer – Doc Kane CAS Foley Mixer – Richard Durante

Motion Pictures – Documentary

• “32 Sounds” – Production Mixer – Laura Cunningham Re-Recording Mixer – Mark Mangini Scoring Mixer – Ben Greenberg ADR Mixer – Bobby Johanson CAS Foley Mixer – Blake Collins CAS
  • “American Symphony” – Re-Recording Mixer – Tom Paul Re-Recording Mixer – Tristan Baylis Foley Mixer – Ryan Collison
  • “Little Richard: I Am Everything” – Re-Recording Mixer – Tom Paul
  • “Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie” – Re-Recording Mixer – Skip Lievsay CAS Re-Recording Mixer – Paul Urmson Re-Recording Mixer – Joel Dougherty Scoring Mixer – John Michael Caldwell Foley Mixer – Micah Blaichman
  • “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” – Production Mixer – Jacob Farron Smith CAS Re-Recording Mixer – John Ross CAS Re-Recording Mixer – David Payne Re-Recording Mixer – Christopher Rowe

The 2023 USC Scripter Award Winners

Spoiler

FILM NOMINEES

• “American Fiction” — Cord Jefferson (based on the novel “Erasure” by Percival Everett)
  • “Killers of the Flower Moon” —  Eric Roth and Martin Scorsese (based on the nonfiction book “Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI” by David Grann)
  • “Oppenheimer” — Christopher Nolan (based on the nonfiction book “American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer” by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin)
  • “Origin” — Ava DuVernay (based on the nonfiction book “Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents” by Isabel Wilkerson)
  • “Poor Things” — Screenwriter Tony McNamara and novelist Alasdair Gray (based on the novel “Poor Things” by Alasdair Gray

The 2023 Satellite Award (IPA) Winners

Spoiler

Motion Picture, Drama

• Killers of the Flower Moon (Paramount Pictures)
  • Maestro (Netflix)
  • May December (Netflix)
  • Oppenheimer (Universal Pictures)
  • Past Lives (A24)
  • Ferrari (Neon)

Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical

• Scrapper (Kino Lorber)
  • Barbie (Warner Bros)
  • The Holdovers (Focus Features)
  • American Fiction (MGM)
  • Poor Things (Searchlight Pictures)
  • Dream Scenario (A24)

Motion Picture, International

• United Kingdom – The Zone of Interest
  • Finland – Fallen Leaves
  • Germany – The Teacher’s Lounge
  • Spain – Society of the Snow
  • Bulgaria – Blaga’s Lessons
  • Italy – Io Capitano
  • France – Anatomy of a Fall

Motion Picture, Animated or Mixed Media

• Suzume (Crunchyroll)
  • The Boy and the Heron (GKIDS)
  • Elemental (Pixar)
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Columbia Pictures)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (Paramount Pictures)
  • Robot Dreams (Neon)

Motion Picture, Documentary

• Little Richard: I Am Everything (Magnolia Pictures)
  • 20 Days in Mariupol (PBS)
  • Close to Vermeer (Kino Lorber)
  • Stamped from the Beginning (Netflix)
  • American Symphony (Netflix)
  • Bad Press (Context Move)
  • Love to Love You, Donna Summer (HBO Max)
  • Lakota Nation vs. United States (IFC Films

Director

• Martin Scorsese – Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Christopher Nolan – Oppenheimer
  • Yorgos Lanthimos – Poor Things
  • Jonathan Glazer – The Zone of Interest
  • Alexander Payne – The Holdovers
  • Greta Gerwig – Barbie

Actress in a Motion Picture Drama

• Natalie Portman – May December
  • Carey Mulligan – Maestro
  • Lily Gladstone – Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Greta Lee – Past Lives
  • Penélope Cruz – Ferrari
  • Sandra Hüller – Anatomy of a Fall

Actor in a Motion Picture Drama

• Andrew Scott – All of Us Strangers
  • Bradley Cooper – Maestro
  • Cillian Murphy – Oppenheimer
  • Leonardo DiCaprio – Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Colman Domingo – Rustin
  • Franz Rogowski – Passages

Actress in Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical

• Margot Robbie – Barbie
  • Fantasia Barrino – The Color Purple
  • Emma Stone – Poor Things
  • Alma Pöysti – Fallen Leaves
  • Cailee Spaeny – Priscilla

Actor in Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical

• Paul Giamatti – The Holdovers
  • Jeffrey Wright – American Fiction
  • Barry Keoghan – Saltburn
  • Nicolas Cage – Dream Scenario
  • Joaquin Phoenix – Beau Is Afraid

Actress in a Supporting Role

• Rosamund Pike – Saltburn
  • Emily Blunt – Oppenheimer
  • Julianne Moore – May December
  • Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers
  • Juliette Binoche – The Taste of Things
  • America Ferrera – Barbie

Actor in a Supporting Role

• Ryan Gosling – Barbie
  • Robert Downey Jr. – Oppenheimer
  • Robert DeNiro – Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Mark Ruffalo – Poor Things
  • Charles Melton – May December
  • Dominic Sessa – The Holdovers

Screenplay, Original

• David Hemingson – The Holdovers (Focus Features)
  • Greta Gerwig & Noah Baumbach – Barbie (Warner Bros)
  • Samy Burch (story by Samy Burch and Alex Mechanik) – May December (Netflix)
  • Celine Song – Past Lives (A24)
  • Justine Triet & Arthur Harari – Anatomy of a Fall (Neon)
  • Bradley Cooper & Josh Singer – Maestro (Netflix)

Screenplay, Adapted

• Cord Jefferson – American Fiction (MGM)
  • Eric Roth & Martin Scorsese – Killers of the Flower Moon (Paramount Pictures)
  • Christopher Nolan – Oppenheimer (Universal Pictures)
  • Tony McNamara – Poor Things (Searchlight Pictures)
  • Jonathan Glazer – The Zone of Interest (A24)
  • Andrew Haigh – All of Us Strangers (Searchlight Pictures)

Original Score

• Daniel Pemberton – Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Columbia / Sony Pictures)
  • Ludwig Göransson – Oppenheimer (Universal Pictures)
  • Robbie Robertson – Killers of the Flower Moon (Paramount Pictures)
  • Jerskin Fendrix – Poor Things (Searchlight Pictures)
  • Michael Giacchino – Society of the Snow (Netflix)
  • Laura Karpman – American Fiction (MGM)

Original Song

• “It Never Went Away” – Jon Batiste & Dan Wilson from American Symphony
  • “I’m Just Ken” – Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt from Barbie
  • “Road to Freedom” – Lenny Kravitz from Rustin
  • “The Fire Inside” – Diane Warren from Flamin’ Hot
  • “What Was I Made For?” – Billie Eilish & Finneas from Barbie
  • “Peaches” – Jack Black, Aaron Horvath, Michael Jelenic, Eric Osmond & John Spiker from The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Cinematography

• Rodrigo Prieto – Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Linus Sandgren – Saltburn
  • Hoyte van Hoytema – Oppenheimer
  • Matthew Libatique – Maestro
  • Erik Messerschmidt – Ferrari
  • Dariusz Wolski – Napoleon
  • Fraser Taggart – Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One

Film Editing

• Thelma Schoonmaker – Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Nick Houy – Barbie
  • Kevin Tent – The Holdovers
  • Jennifer Lame – Oppenheimer
  • Michelle Tesoro – Maestro
  • Yorgos Mavropsaridis – Poor Things

Sound (Editing and Mixing)

• Oppenheimer
  • Maestro
  • Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Napoleon
  • American Symphony
  • Ferrari

Visual Effects

• Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse – Michael Lasker, Alan Hawkins, Bret St. Clair & Pav Grochola
  • Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One – Alex Wuttke, Jeff Sutherland, Simone Coco & Neil Corbould
  • Oppenheimer
  • The Creator
  • Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
  • Napoleon

Production Design

• Maria Djurkovic & Sophie Phillips – Ferrari
  • Jack Fisk & Adam Willis – Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Kevin Thompson & Rena DeAngelo – Maestro
  • Ruth De Jong & Claire Kaufman – Oppenheimer
  • Sarah Greenwood & Katie Spencer – Barbie
  • Arthur Max – Napoleon

Costume Design

• David Crossman, Janty Yates – Napoleon
  • Jacqueline West – Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Jacqueline Durran – Barbie
  • Holly Waddington – Poor Things
  • Francine Jamison-Tanchuck – The Color Purple
  • Ellen Mirojnick – Oppenheimer

Ensemble Motion Picture
Oppenheimer (Universal Pictures)

• Mladen changed the title to FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)