Knight of the Seven Kingdoms Pushes Production to Summer 2024

Via the ever-watchful Redanian Intelligence, we learn that HBO’s A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight has been pushed from a Spring to Summer 2024 production start. We reported back in October on a suspicious casting call that certainly seemed to fit the bill for casting of Dunk and Egg, and the update from RA seems to certainly confirm this as the same casting director, Lucy Bevan, is listed in the update in Production Monthly:

“A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS: THE HEDGE KNIGHT” Series / Max
PRODUCER: Vince Gerardis - Ryan Condal - Hiram Martinez WRITER/PRODUCER: Ira Parker - George R.R. Martin CD: Lucy Bevan
A century before the events of Game of Thrones, two unlikely heroes wandered Westeros… a young, naïve but courageous knight, Ser Duncan the Tall, and his diminutive squire, Egg. Set in an age when the Targaryen line still holds the Iron Throne and the memory of the last dragon has not yet passed from living memory, great destinies, powerful foes, and dangerous exploits all await these improbable and incomparable friends.

It’s great to see that Northern Ireland will once again host filming of matter from the Game of Thrones universe, as there are many hundreds of talented Northern Irish actors, extras, production, and craftspeople who helped bring Game of Thrones to life who’ll surely do the same for this show. Northern Ireland also has a wealth of possible filming locations.

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/Gianni_Dunk_Egg.png

read on >>>

View the full article

The casting call from October is still the pinned tweet on Lucy Bevan Casting’s page, so I’m guessing that they’re still struggling to find the right actor for Dunk. It’s a tough role to cast—you need someone talented enough to carry the show who also meets very specific physical requirements. At worst, they can find someone tall-ish and use some CGI magic to make him appear taller, ala Ian McKellan in LOTR.

I think it's more that they didn't factor in the delays due to the writers' guild strike: i mean if the strike ended in September I didn't think they had the time to finish the remaining five scripts in time for March.

Great that they're returning to Northern Ireland after how HBO abandoned them (the old HBO, who ignored all their warnings about "make more than one pilot because if the first one fails we can't afford to wait around for the next one so we'll lose our contract)

In my own mental calculus I already thought Dunk & Egg couldn't possibly come by late 2024, this just confirms that. 

I always thought it would be out by Summer 2025...small chance of Spring 2025.  Due to the ripple effect of the strikes; all those backlogged shows will pile up in Spring 2025 - Euphoria Season 3 comes back that Spring and they probably don't want to double up with that and other shows. Also Emmy politics come into consideration (the Emmy cutoff is between Spring and Summer. 

But another factor is that Orsi said they want to release it in 3 consecutive years, i.e. every 12 months, and a consistent Summer release is the only one that doesn't overlap with House of the Dragon (well, not until Season 5), because HotD is bigger and takes a full year and a half turnaround between seasons. I think it looks like:

• 2024, Summer: House of the Dragon Season 2
  • 2025, Summer: Dunk & Egg Season 1
  • 2026, Spring: HotD Season 3
  • 2026, Summer: Dunk & Egg Season 2
  • 2027, Summer: Dunk & Egg Season 3
  • 2027, Fall: HotD Season 4
Edited by The Dragon Demands

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I think it's more that they didn't factor in the delays due to the writers' guild strike: i mean if the strike ended in September I didn't think they had the time to finish the remaining five scripts in time for March.

Great that they're returning to Northern Ireland after how HBO abandoned them (the old HBO, who ignored all their warnings about "make more than one pilot because if the first one fails we can't afford to wait around for the next one so we'll lose our contract)

In my own mental calculus I already thought Dunk & Egg couldn't possibly come by late 2024, this just confirms that. 

I always thought it would be out by Summer 2025...small chance of Spring 2025.  Due to the ripple effect of the strikes; all those backlogged shows will pile up in Spring 2025 - Euphoria Season 3 comes back that Spring and they probably don't want to double up with that and other shows. Also Emmy politics come into consideration (the Emmy cutoff is between Spring and Summer. 

But another factor is that Orsi said they want to release it in 3 consecutive years, i.e. every 12 months, and a consistent Summer release is the only one that doesn't overlap with House of the Dragon (well, not until Season 5), because HotD is bigger and takes a full year and a half turnaround between seasons. I think it looks like:

I suppose that could be true, but I think the fact that the casting call is still open is a big indication that they aren’t close to cinching the role(s) yet, especially since they started during the SAG strike (which is a bit sleazy since HBO is an American company, but alas). I’m no actor, but in pretty much every other field, employers close off applications once they’ve narrowed the field down to a few prime candidates. 

That said, I agree that there are probably other shows they want to get out of the gate first, namely Euphoria and The White Lotus (also The Gilded Age, which appears to be the big new 65+ show haha).

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

They didn't start casting during the strike, we only saw casting sheets AFTER it ended

They put out the casting call in October (you made a video about it). The strike didn’t end until November. 

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

On 1/6/2024 at 7:12 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

They put out the casting call in October (you made a video about it). The strike didn’t end until November. 

He means the WGA strike, which ended on 27 September

On 1/6/2024 at 12:17 AM, The Dragon Demands said:

This seems like a very reasonable prediction but yikes for what this would mean for the chances of Winds of Winter getting published in the 2020s.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:04 PM, Him of Many Faces said:

This seems like a very reasonable prediction but yikes for what this would mean for the chances of Winds of Winter getting published in the 2020s.

Agreed. Not only that but fatigue is starting to creep in with all these new shows and projects. At least for me, but maybe I'm in minority.

It's like with Marvel and SW movies and TV series. They are milking this cow to the death. Which is a pity because I love fantasy and these are great stories. But even good things can become just too much. 

I wouldn't mind an animation series on the Blackfyre rebellion or The Age of Heroes (I don't care about Young Corlys adventures), The Great Empire of Dawn, The Old Empire of Ghis etc. But other than that, I feel quite indifferent about any new show. Including HOD for that matter. 

I can't wait for the book though. Of those I'll never get tired of. Currently I'm re-reading the series and I'm by the end of ADWD. I feel sorry that's finishing already. :(

5 hours ago, Him of Many Faces said:

I completely understand even though we've only had one season of HotD so far. 

True. But it comes after 9 (intense) years of living and breathing GOT - with results that we know - without much pause in between either. And even though we've only had one new show so far, just hearing about more coming it becomes a bit too much. I wish there were some long pauses and one project at a time. But I know television doesn't work like that.  

4 hours ago, Adaneth said:

True. But it comes after 9 (intense) years of living and breathing GOT - with results that we know - without much pause in between either. And even though we've only had one new show so far, just hearing about more coming it becomes a bit too much. I wish there were some long pauses and one project at a time. But I know television doesn't work like that.  

I think we’d all be a lot more excited if some new written material came out. Winds, Dunk & Egg, Fire & Blood—I’ll take anything at this point.

27 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think we’d all be a lot more excited if some new written material came out. Winds, Dunk & Egg, Fire & Blood—I’ll take anything at this point.

I'm willing to watch 10 new shows in a row, if I can get Winds. lol

Dunk & Egg would be good too. F&B I care the least about because of the structure. But yeah, I'll take anything as well.

• 1 month later...

In the WBD earnings call today, David Zaslav said they aim for A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms to premiere in LATE 2025. Up to now I thought it would be Summer.

https://tvline.com/news/game-of-thrones-knight-of-the-seven-kingdoms-season-1-release-date-hbo-max-1235172818/

Edited by The Dragon Demands

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 12:31 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

By "we'd all" you mean us here on this board. Unfortunately, the vast majority of TV fans are never going to read the books, and they're where the numbers/fast money are.

I've just finished a re-read of ASOIAF/AWOIAF and will probably need to do so again when/if news of TWOW is ever announced, and for now and going through AKot7K.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a TV version of those novellas more than HoTD. I really like how Dunk the lunk drags this royal kid incognito through the Westeros version of the working classes, lower middle-classes, and general bog end of society rather than focusing on the elites as HoTD does.

On 3/17/2024 at 3:04 AM, House Cambodia said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to a TV version of those novellas more than HoTD. I really like how Dunk the lunk drags this royal kid incognito through the Westeros version of the working classes, lower middle-classes, and general bog end of society rather than focusing on the elites as HoTD does.

But so far the stories have been about lowly Dunk interacting with elites. 

23 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

But so far the stories have been about lowly Dunk interacting with elites. 

and armourers, mummers, hedge knights and general servants of the elites. Eustace Osgrey is an instance of what I called 'the lower middle classes'.