35mm Film Cameras

Nikon FM and Nikkor lenses

I was rummaging through and found my wife's old Nikon.  She already had it when we got married and therefore I've no clue when it was made.  It uses 35mm film. 

I want to get it cleaned and checked for her. Like a surprise gift. 

1. Where can I get the camera checked out?  Are there repair shops for these?
  2. How easy is it to get 35mm film?  How easy or hard is it to find shops to develop the film?

Many thanks for your assistance. 

46 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

My niece was doing some photography in school and she had to get some 35mm film developed. There is literally one place in this city that still does it, and that's only for color film. If it was black and white, they would have had to send it out

B+W developing is very easy to do at home. Chemicals are still available and so is the basic equipment needed. I am surprised the school did not have the means to develop film. Finding film is not that hard online. Lots of photo stores still sell it. 

21 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

110 cameras need to come back. Remember those?

110 is the bane of any decent resolution due to the film size. Sure the cassettes were easier to install but not great for enlargement. 

4 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Nikon FM and Nikkor lenses

I was rummaging through and found my wife's old Nikon.  She already had it when we got married and therefore I've no clue when it was made.  It uses 35mm film. 

I want to get it cleaned and checked for her. Like a surprise gift. 

1. Where can I get the camera checked out?  Are there repair shops for these?
  2. How easy is it to get 35mm film?  How easy or hard is it to find shops to develop the film?

Many thanks for your assistance. 

I use to be really into photography and have some friends and family that do it professionally. What country do you live in? If it's the US, what state? Getting it cleaned shouldn't be a big deal. Not sure what getting the film is like overseas. 

You can also just buy a cleaning kit for her as a gift. Just looked it up and they're cheap. I'm sure there's a DIY video on YouTube you can follow. IIRC those old Nikons weren't that hard to maintain (just a bitch to change the lenses sometimes). 

If you really want to blow her mind, after you get it set up take her to a proper dark room and develop it together. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

8 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I use to be really into photography and have some friends and family that do it professionally. What country do you live in? If it's the US, what state? Getting it cleaned shouldn't be a big deal. Not sure what getting the film is like overseas. 

You can also just buy a cleaning kit for her as a gift. Just looked it up and they're cheap. I'm sure there's a DIY video on YouTube you can follow. IIRC those old Nikons weren't that hard to maintain (just a bitch to change the lenses sometimes). 

If you really want to blow her mind, after you get it set up take her to a proper dark room and develop it together. 

If all that goes well, get her a reasonable medium format camera and really blow her mind with that big negative.

On 1/14/2024 at 12:47 AM, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Chicago, Il.  I just learned some chain pharmacies still develop films.  I went yesterday to Walgreens and even saw 35mm film for sale.  I'm feeling confident in this project.  Thanks

9 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Chicago, Il.  I just learned some chain pharmacies still develop films.  I went yesterday to Walgreens and even saw 35mm film for sale.  I'm feeling confident in this project.  Thanks

I was going to say it's easy to get in the US. Since you're in a big market there are likely a lot of places you can take it to be professionally cleaned, but I'd still recommend getting your own cleaning kit. They're around $20-$35. And I'm pretty sure you can find a place nearby to develop the pics together. It will be a good bit of fun. 

My primary care doc has black/white photos he's taken all over his offices.  They're gorgeous!  He could sell them, honestly.  I've told him that, but he said black and white pix aren't popular.  I said, Tell that to Ansel Adams!  

As good as the camera apps are on our phones, nothing beats a good 35 mm camera in the right hands.  

9 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

My primary care doc has black/white photos he's taken all over his offices.  They're gorgeous!  He could sell them, honestly.  I've told him that, but he said black and white pix aren't popular.  I said, Tell that to Ansel Adams!  

As good as the camera apps are on our phones, nothing beats a good 35 mm camera in the right hands.  

Hahaha. Nothing beats a 6x6 camera in the right hands. I still remember meeting German tourist in Cuba with a very expensive 35 mm camera, and I had my 40 year old, then, Yashicamat TLR. We sized each other up and he then said "nice camera".

Honestly I think it matters more when shooting short films. Just click on my profile page. I took that with a cheap ass small camera I borrowed from my then GF cause my phone wouldn't work where I was going so I left it at home. She actually gave it to me after we broke up cause I had so many travel pics on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 10:44 PM, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I was going to say it's easy to get in the US. Since you're in a big market there are likely a lot of places you can take it to be professionally cleaned, but I'd still recommend getting your own cleaning kit. They're around $20-$35. And I'm pretty sure you can find a place nearby to develop the pics together. It will be a good bit of fun. 

I guess I could look for the manual online.  The camera is a Nikon FM2n and research tells me it's the equipment used for the famous Afghan photo of the girl with the green eyes. 

On 1/27/2024 at 9:59 PM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

I guess I could look for the manual online.  The camera is a Nikon FM2n and research tells me it's the equipment used for the famous Afghan photo of the girl with the green eyes. 

Nice camera but the skill of the photographer behind it is the reason for the photo. Whether a Nikon or a Pentax, or a Canon was used the photo would be as arresting. I use a Yashicamat TLR that I bought used for $100 in the 80s, and according to the serial # it was built in 1957. I would put that up against any 35 mm camera for photo quality just because the negative is almost 4 times bigger. Slide film in that camera is amazing. Too bad Kodak never made Kodachrome in that format. Anyway, enjoy the camera as lenses and accessories are still available.

On 1/29/2024 at 10:57 AM, maarsen said:

Nice camera but the skill of the photographer behind it is the reason for the photo. Whether a Nikon or a Pentax, or a Canon was used the photo would be as arresting. I use a Yashicamat TLR that I bought used for $100 in the 80s, and according to the serial # it was built in 1957. I would put that up against any 35 mm camera for photo quality just because the negative is almost 4 times bigger. Slide film in that camera is amazing. Too bad Kodak never made Kodachrome in that format. Anyway, enjoy the camera as lenses and accessories are still available.

Skill trumps equipment.  I agree with you. 

1 hour ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Skill trumps equipment.  I agree with you. 

I see too many people buying way more camera than they need pushed by advertising implying that that is what is needed to do photography well. I have been going the other way using simpler and simpler cameras. Any way, good luck with your photography.  

I still enjoy older cameras, but newer phones have become so advanced. I just wish I hadn't lost a cool collection in a quick move. I had one sweet one that could do amazing panoramic shots. I climbed up onto the top of the clubhouse at my grandparents' place in Palm Springs and got a complete 360 shot of the entire valley/mountain side. I lost the pictures though. :crying:

Also, another fun gift would be an underwater camera. They're pretty reliable, you just have to take a lot of shots. 

And a few years ago as a wedding gift for being a groomsmen my buddy gave me a modern digital polaroid camera. It's pretty cool. You can just print out the pic or send them to a social media account. Only downside is the film for it is expensive. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 11:43 AM, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I still enjoy older cameras, but newer phones have become so advanced. I just wish I hadn't lost a cool collection in a quick move. I had one sweet one that could do amazing panoramic shots. I climbed up onto the top of the clubhouse at my grandparents' place in Palm Springs and got a complete 360 shot of the entire valley/mountain side. I lost the pictures though. :crying:

Also, another fun gift would be an underwater camera. They're pretty reliable, you just have to take a lot of shots. 

And a few years ago as a wedding gift for being a groomsmen my buddy gave me a modern digital polaroid camera. It's pretty cool. You can just print out the pic or send them to a social media account. Only downside is the film for it is expensive. 

I have been browsing the web for information on vintage photography equipment.  I might look into getting a Nikonos for fun.  I don't scuba, snorkel, or dive.  But it would be fun at the beach and the pool.  

I learned a lot recently.  I feel sad for Kodak.  I hope they can find a product line to improve their fortunes.  

2 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

I have been browsing the web for information on vintage photography equipment.  I might look into getting a Nikonos for fun.  I don't scuba, snorkel, or dive.  But it would be fun at the beach and the pool.  

I learned a lot recently.  I feel sad for Kodak.  I hope they can find a product line to improve their fortunes.  

You can also just get special cases for that. It's pretty fun if you don't mind making mistakes. 

I pulled out the camera I mentioned and it still works after a bit of charging. The thing is actually pretty cool. Unusual, but a very nice gift.

If only he had given me a Rolex instead lol.