Music New- "Listen to me Good Baby!"

DireWolfSpirit

1 minute ago, IlyaP said:

People frowning on people discovering new music via covers and being protective of the original isn't gatekeeping? What would you call it then? (Aside from...snobbery, maybe?)

When a very popular white male country singer covers a song released two years before he was born written by a black, gay, female -- and then the song becomes enormously popular with a fanbase that is especially hostile in the American polity today towards blacks, and gays, and females, let alone all three put together?

I don't know exactly what I'd call it.  "Uncomfortable."  "Doesn't sit right."  "Rubs me the wrong way."  All of which are exactly how I've described it.  And none of that is about gatekeeping.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

When a very popular white male country singer covers a song released two years before he was born written by a black, gay, female -- and then the song becomes enormously popular with a fanbase that is especially hostile in the American polity today towards blacks, and gays, and females, let alone all three put together?

I don't know exactly what I'd call it.  "Uncomfortable."  "Doesn't sit right."  "Rubs me the wrong way."  All of which are exactly how I've described it.  And none of that is about gatekeeping.

My best friend, whose background is in anthropology and sociology, said the best term to use to describe this is "appropriation". 

(Side note: I knew of none of the above context; I left the US back in 2003, and knew none of the above - though I was familiar with Chapman's song, which I recall having heard as a kid.)

1 minute ago, IlyaP said:

My best friend, whose background is in anthropology and sociology, said the best term to use to describe this is "appropriation". 

Right, appropriation is the general term.  I've avoided it because that tends to cast aspersions on Luke Combs - who I don't know nor have any problem with, and apparently neither does Tracy Chapman if she's sharing the stage with him.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right, appropriation is the general term.  I've avoided it because that tends to cast aspersions on Luke Combs - who I don't know nor have any problem with, and apparently neither does Tracy Chapman if she's sharing the stage with him.

In this case, I think we could safely say it would apply with regards to the redneck right wing neckbeards whose politics are actively hostile towards, as you said, "blacks, and gays, and females". 

Like you, I know zippity doodah about Combs, but I can't imagine Tracy would have played alongside him if she thought he was of that particular ideological bent. 

Just now, IlyaP said:

In this case, I think we could safely say it would apply with regards to the redneck right wing neckbeards whose politics are actively hostile towards, as you said, "blacks, and gays, and females". 

Yep that's my point.  :cheers:

It's especially galling because I suspect a lot of them have "identified" with the song to reaffirm their MAGA convictions and voting against Biden who is somehow the one to blame for oppressing their downtrodden livelihoods.

Speaking of covers, has anyone here heard The Belarus's cover of The Beatles Here, There, and Everywhere? I think it may even be better than the original.

Posted (edited)

Yeah on covers and gatekeeping etc.

A fair amount of older prog rock fans protested MJB covering Stairway to Heaven with commentary like they were purists and she sounds awful and so forth.

Funny thing was Robert Plant loved it and at that time Mary was the only artist Zeppelin had ever officially endorsed recording the iconic tune.

Personally I find Ms Blige's rendition stirring, electric and def worthy.

Also the same for Miley Cyrus, she can sing anything she wants and totally own that shit imo.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Nah, that's not a good cover. Perhaps Plant was just being a gentleman. For a change.

And this has got nothing to do with gatekeeping, btw. Her vocals are perfectly fine, but the backline have absolutely butchered the arrangement, and the musicianship on display is but a tiny fraction of that of Led Zep. Doesn't help that this is one of my favourite tracks of all time, and probably the greatest rock song ever committed to vinyl. 

WRT to the arrangement butchering, sure, they had to cut the length, but the verses have zero space to breath, and everything seems like they're just rushing to get to the Bonham-explosion. But of course, there will only ever be one John Bonham.

Edited by Spockydog

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Nah, that's not a good cover. Perhaps Plant was just being a gentleman. For a change.

And this has got nothing to do with gatekeeping, btw. Her vocals are perfectly fine, but the backline have absolutely butchered the arrangement, and the musicianship on display is but a tiny fraction of that of Led Zep. Doesn't help that this is one of my favourite tracks of all time, and probably the greatest rock song ever committed to vinyl. 

WRT to the arrangement butchering, sure, they had to cut the length, but the verses have zero space to breath, and everything seems like they're just rushing to get to the Bonham-explosion. But of course, there will only ever be one John Bonham.

Nonsense, Plant loves Mary's vocals on it and has said as much in interviews in a authentic manner.

9 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Nonsense, Plant loves Mary's vocals on it and has said as much in interviews in a authentic manner.

I said the vocals were fine. Can't say the same for the arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

back on the topic of covers, I've fallen into a "Kellyoke" hole listening to Kelly Clarkson cover songs on her talk show.

Honestly, she's got such a great voice and such a good range. I never watched American Idol so didn't experience that part of her journey, but I recall her early stuff which was fine. But her latest album (which i think is actually the first she's done completely independent of her Idol contract) is fantastic and these covers....I'm going to have to go back and listen to her other stuf