US Politics: Sitting in Judgement

10 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

He's not doing shit.  He's doing the absolute minimum.  

To the bolded, lo fucking l.  Don't scold me about shutting up like it's damaging the electoral prospects of the guy with the milquetoast opposition to genocide.  Great way to get people out to vote if that's what you're so concerned about.

Yeah, I'm the fucking reason people are upset about Gaza, not the fucking President. 

I used the example of "asking them to stop nicely" because I thought it might be an absurd example of the limits of the President's ability to do anything about this.  That "over the top comment" is literally all that Biden has done to check this conflict.  

Biden could be threatening to withhold aid or weapons, he could have actually voted for a UN resolution urging an immediate ceasefire.  He could not have run his mouth about decapitated babies.

But yeah, sure, I better stop saying Biden could be doing more or Trump's gonna win.

And when Trump does win because liberals don't vote for him? Gonna feel really smart then? Cause I think he will beat Biden if this kind of talk persists, which makes things worse here and for the people in Gaza.

Be fucking strategic. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

17 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Biden could be threatening to withhold aid or weapons, he could have actually voted for a UN resolution urging an immediate ceasefire.

At this point I’d gladly settle for an abstention. 

Edited by kissdbyfire

5 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

And when Trump does win because liberals don't vote for him? Gonna feel really smart then? Cause I think he will beat Biden if this kind of talk persists, which makes things worse here and for the people in Gaza.

Be fucking strategic. 

Did I tell anyone not to vote for Biden?  Nope!

"Don't criticize the president, or the fascist guy might win!" Is an absolutely idiotic and insane argument to make.  Be fucking strategic.  

53 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

he will beat Biden if this kind of talk persists,

If this sort of talk doesn't persist though, and nudge Biden into more aggressive stance against bibietc. 'he' will beat him.  Be strategic.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

At this point I’d gladly settle for an abstention. 

That can't happen when one side says they have the obligation to fight forever until they win. In this instances, we're moving to both sides feeling that way. 

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Did I tell anyone not to vote for Biden?  Nope!

"Don't criticize the president, or the fascist guy might win!" Is an absolutely idiotic and insane argument to make.  Be fucking strategic.  

But you gave doubt as to why they shouldn't. It's not really that far apart.

32 minutes ago, Zorral said:

If this sort of talk doesn't persist though, and nudge Biden into more aggressive stance against bibietc. 'he' will beat him.  Be strategic.

Who on this forum has talked more about nudging than me? There's a difference between a light push and shoving someone into on coming traffic. 

Just use Tlaib as an example. Biden is going to win the primary. Her encouraging people not to support him only has one outcome, hurting him in the general. It's just dumb. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

But you gave doubt as to why they shouldn't. It's not really that far apart.

Gross.  You wanna police what we can talk about and expect people to believe you know what you're talking about?  This is not how free societies work.  The people that tell you to do that are not the people whose side you want to be on.  I'm voting for Biden, don't fucking tell me not to criticize him.  

If the common person can't change anything, how the fuck am I going to change anything by criticizing the president? 

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

35 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Gross.  You wanna police what we can talk about and expect people to believe you know what you're talking about?  This is not how free societies work.  The people that tell you to do that are not the people whose side you want to be on.  I'm voting for Biden, don't fucking tell me not to criticize him.  

If the common person can't change anything, how the fuck am I going to change anything by criticizing the president? 

Be critical all you want when speaking with intelligent people. Doing so when you're around morons and you might not like the results. 

1 minute ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Thanks for sharing your opinion of the intelligence of the people who read this thread.

I assume most people talk about politics here the way they do with the people they interact with in the real world. Not exactly the craziest assumption. It just helps that this is a space where people are generally more learned and thoughtful.

And then there's @Jaxom 1974. Poor, sweet Jaxom. 

This started when I called out a clear factual inaccuracy. That's hardly cult like. So let's do this again.

6 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Biden could publicly say this behavior is not ok and has gone too far. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

He. Literally. Has. This is just another example of nothing he does being good enough. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/02/08/biden-israel-gaza-speech-netanyahu/ 

This is the narcissism of small differences. Love you @kissdbyfire, but that is what you we're doing. Liberals get trapped in this loop where nothing is ever good enough. At least liberals want to do something positive though whereas conservatives just tend to fall down their well of hate. Be productive, not combative. You'll find it achieves more. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

This started when I called out a clear factual inaccuracy. That's hardly cult like. So let's do this again.

This is the narcissism of small differences. Love you @kissdbyfire, but that is what you we're doing. Liberals get trapped in this loop where nothing is ever good enough. At least liberals want to do something positive though whereas conservatives just tend to fall down their well of hate. Be productive, not combative. You'll find it achieves more. 

As I already mentioned, the entire "ask them to stop nicely" was pointing out that he has done the absolute bare minimum.  Read my obviously irreverent response to Scot asking me "how?".   Biden said  "the response is over the top" and did fuck all about it.  Don't piss on my neck and tell me it's raining.  

If you want to keep pretending that's all Biden can do, and die in that hill, and want to keep condescending and patronizing and deflecting, I think I'm done here.  

And by the way, the people who tell you you can't criticize the president publicly are never the good guys.  

Edit:

How can you square telling people to be "productive" not "combative" when they are asking for more to be done to stop a genocide, and you're making excuses about why that isn't possible?

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

3 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

As I already mentioned, the entire "ask them to stop nicely" was pointing out that he has done the absolute bare minimum.  Read my obviously irreverent response to Scot asking me "how?".   Biden said  "the response is over the top" and did fuck all about it.  Don't piss on my neck and tell me it's raining.  

What's he suppose to do? Fly in on a broom stick and fix everything?

If you want to keep pretending that's all Biden can do, and die in that hill, and want to keep condescending and patronizing and deflecting, I think I'm done here.  

I've told you several times, a lot of these conversations happen behind closed doors. Expecting it to be in public is insane. That will just lead to more chaos. 

And by the way, the people who tell you you can't criticize the president publicly are never the good guys.  

They are if you're advocating for some dumb shit. This is why I ditched R in the dating thread. Her position was that she knew as much if not more than people with PhDs despite not taking poli sci 101.  

[mod] Folks, I understand that positions on the Gaza issue are a major concern for the US election. But we’re having a moratorium on threads about Gaza for now, which I for one appreciate since I’m going into my nth straight day of refereeing discussions about it at work. I don’t want it to take over this thread. 

So let’s hit pause on that please. It is temporary, and I assure you, it’s not likely to go away as an issue meantime. [/mod]