The Hat Thread

Spockydog

The third of my new hats turned up today. It's a beautiful straw Fedora* with a band that perfectly compliments a pair of powder blue Ted Baker linen trousers that I bought for Barcelona.

Here it is, modelled by a deeply contented Spocky, happily stoned, chilling in his trip cave just before bedtime.

Again, I love the way you can just flip the front rim down for a totally different look.

I am very pleased with these three hats. It is the first time I've tried this brand, and they're the some of the nicest hats I've ever owned. And they don't cost the earth.

I've been invited to an exclusive pool party thingy during Spannabis, where I will be rocking this hat, along with a loose, long-sleeved white linen shirt, and a beautifully soft pair of tan penny loafers. No socks.

*I love the top the model is wearing. But if I tried to wear that, with my pasty skin tone, I'd just look freshly dug up. Or something.

Damn, we need a general fashion advice thread.

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

The third of my new hats turned up today. It's a beautiful straw Fedora* with a band that perfectly compliments a pair of powder blue Ted Baker linen trousers that I bought for Barcelona.

Here it is, modelled by a deeply contented Spocky, happily stoned, chilling in his trip cave just before bedtime.

Again, I love the way you can just flip the front rim down for a totally different look.

I've been invited to an exclusive pool party thingy during Spannabis, where I will be rocking this hat, along with a loose, long-sleeved white linen shirt, and a beautifully soft pair of tan penny loafers. No socks.

/snip

Damn, we need a general fashion advice thread.

I'd recommend a pair of linen trousers or swim trunks along with that ensemble, or you'll shock the children.  

I just want to know if my 1% stake includes a Muldoon hat on the house? Extra awesome if it comes with his shotgun, even though he doesn't use it in the book.

I guess I can settle for a Twins hat signed by all the championship players, but that will cost you. 

19 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

You don't stand in front of a stove getting hot oil spitting on your junk. Learned that lesson early.

Hanging your hat on it as ppe would seem prudent. 

Don't think THAT hasn't been done already.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

So one of my new hats is advertised as 'foldable.'

It's a straw fedora / pork pie, and I can't for the life of me work out how it can be folded without wrecking the hat.

Anyone got any ideas?

everything is foldable if you are strong enough. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/26/watch-englands-strongest-man-rolls-up-iron-frying-pan-hands/

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

That was a steel pan not cast iron. Cast iron doesn't fold or twist when subjected to stress. It cracks. 

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

That was a steel pan not cast iron. Cast iron doesn't fold or twist when subjected to stress. It cracks. 

They are claiming the pan is cast iron?  The pictures show a pan that is not cast iron at all.  Good grief, so weird. 

;)

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

it says iron, not cast iron in the title. 

The article notes that the pan is cast iron.  "England’s strongest man has showcased his incredible strength by rolling up a cast iron frying pan with his bare hands....Before taking on the challenge, presenter Adam Ball examined the pan, banging it on a desk to ensure it was made of real cast iron."   :dunno:

I've been invited to a bunch of parties and events at Spannabis in Barcelona. Including this one:

Come experience an elevated networking event curated to support the Women of our industry. Meet and mingle with Women from around the globe.

Join us for an elevated evening of empowerment and connection at Choko, where international women in the cannabis industry gather to ignite collaboration and celebrate our shared journey. From trailblazing entrepreneurs to passionate activists, come network with like-minded women who are shaping the future of cannabis on a global scale. Indulge in stimulating conversations, forge meaningful connections, and elevate your influence in an atmosphere pulsating with possibility. Don't miss this exclusive opportunity to be part of a thriving community driving change and innovation in the cannabis world.

What you can expect:

Elevated networking with Women (all genders welcome) from around the Globe!

Included in ticket price:

*Membership to Private Club Barcelona

* Tapas

*Kava toast

*Build your own bouquet bar

While this event is curated to support the Women of our industry all genders welcomed!

The organizer is really helpful, and I've just emailed her to advise that I'm travelling to BCN alone, and I don't necessarily feel comfortable being the creepy solo bloke arriving alone at her female-focused event. Hopefully, she'll introduce me to some guys in advance.

Regardless, I will of course conduct myself with impeccable professionalism at all times. But I will certainly be deploying each of my assets in order to catch the initial attention of any partners or investors.

Gonna need hats. Lots of hats.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I've been invited to a bunch of parties and events at Spannabis in Barcelona.

While cannabis is not my thing, this sounds amazing and hopefully it is as supportive of women in the industry as it sounds.  At any rate, I hope you have a chance to attend this and meet some fascinating women.    :pimp:

Edited by LongRider

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Nice shades ya got there you Sharpe Dressed Man!

Why, thank you. I bought my current RayBans in 2008. Maybe 2007. Figured it was time to treat myself.

I'm just getting my stuff organized for Barcelona. Going to need two outfits per day, from Thursday to Monday. Business casual for the days at the trade show, then party time in the evening. 

Luckily, I have a wardrobe full of really nice clothes with the tags still on. In the wake of my company's valuation, I went a bit mad for a few days. lol. After having no money for nice stuff for far too feckin' long, I basically replaced every single item in my wardrobe.

The only thing I kept was a lovely leather jacket that I bought about a year ago. Everything else? Gone. Most of it went to the charity shop, including a really nice suit from Reiss, my electric blue Versace wedding suit, and a lovely, rock-star-skinny Paul Smith corduroy jacket that, no matter what I tell myself, I ain't never getting into again. 

Yeeted everything. It felt amazing.

Edited by Spockydog

Posted (edited)

I got myself another porkpie. I think having such a big beard helps with the framing.

I love all the ones I've got so far (even though I've only worn one outside the house), but I'm taking them all to Spain, and also wanted one that wasn't basically made of straw, for the evenings and stuff:

So I got this one:

Gamble & Gunn Stingy Brim Heisenberg Style Porkpie Hat

Not sure about the feather. On the one hand it adds a nice flash of colour, but on the other, it's a bloody feather, plucked from a birb's arse.

This is the first hat I've bought from these guys, but I'll definitely be back. Maybe even to buy a packet of feathers!

Edited by Spockydog