The Hat Thread

Spockydog

Over the coming months, I will be travelling to much sunnier climes, and as my ethnicity falls somewhere between Hairy Ginger Irish and North Sea Peely Wally, I will need something to keep the sun af ma hairless heid.

I got hats. Plenty of hats. But the most daring I've ever been is a Celtic baseball cap on a night out in South Glasgow, and a bright blue, cartoon-sized baker boy's cap.

Seeing as I'm currently in the process of transforming my image from impoverished beaten-down care worker, to sexy middled aged CEO, I decided to up my hat game. I just ordered these:

Two-tone Porkpie Hat

Beige Summer Fedora

Black Porkpie Hat

I've never tried a porkpie. All the style guides say it's a bold option, and not easy to pull off.

Hopefully, I'll do a better job than Walter White.

So, fellow hat wearers of Westeros, what do you like? What do you wear? And, most importantly, how do you wear it?

Edited by Spockydog

I rather like this look:  Dasmarca-tony-moss-green Felt Porkpie-two Tone Porkpie Hat-stingy Brim Porkpie-short Brim Porkpie Hat-olive Colour Porkpie Hat for Men - Etsy

But it definitely requires the matching outfit.  

Damn, this dressing men thing needs a real talent - one that I'm not confident enough in my own skills to attempt.  There used to be a guy who frequented these boards who was quite the natty dresser.  Haven't seen him around in a while.  I think he got married or something.  Anybody else remember?  

ETA:  The fedora is always a fine choice too.  Dark Blue Fedora Polar Fleece Hat, Man Winter Hat, Stiff Fedora Hat, Hatsquare Fedora for Men, Short Brim Hat, Vintage Hat, Christmas Gift - Etsy   

Definitely for cold weather, though, I would think.

Edited by Tears of Lys

11 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I have been wearing hats for over 30 years, to keep my complexion looking good. I wear at least a 4 inch brim with a UPF of 50 (it’s kind of like SPF, but for clothing). 

Coolibar and Sunday Afternoons are my go-to websites. 

Yep. Hats are useful protection against that age old frenemy, our sun  

I wear fishing hats. 
When I’m fishing. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

Wooo! Two of my new hats turned up this afternoon. Talk about quick service. 

Spocky's New Hats

I love being able to pull the front of the rim down on these porkpies. It gives you quite a few options in terms of how to wear the things.

2 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

You, sir, are a Smart Dressed Man (with a well groomed beard).

Why, thank you. I've had those Ray Bans since 2007. The beard is a much newer thing, but I really like it. It's nice and bushy. I'm like a skinnier, tidier, Tormund Giantsbane.

Edited by Spockydog

Very nice!  It helps to have a pix as we can come up with all sorts of unsolicited advice for dressing, etc.

Aren't beards an awful lot of work to maintain, though?  Yours is quite nice, but looks like it takes a lotta time to keep it looking that good.

:idea:

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Very nice!  It helps to have a pix as we can come up with all sorts of unsolicited advice for dressing, etc.

Aren't beards an awful lot of work to maintain, though?  Yours is quite nice, but looks like it takes a lotta time to keep it looking that good.

:idea:

It's pretty easy to maintain.

Once a week, I give it a trim with one of these, before taking a cutthroat to my neck for a proper soapy shave.

My cheeks have three gradients, and my chin generally runs free with an occassional shaping. I sometimes cut it really short, but my niece grumbles when I do that. She has recently been gifting me a nice apple-scented shampoo/softener for it.

I don't know about the other chaps, but I for one would be grateful of some unsolicited fashion advice, especially for my forthcoming trip to BCN. The best advice I've ever had has always been from the women in my life. My ex wife had a really good eye, and for six years, she had me feeling like one of the sexiest men alive.

This guy is quite good, though. I like the cut of his gib, and even though most of the stuff he shows is high end designer stuff, once you see the look you like, it's not too hard to find cheaper alternatives.

Edited by Spockydog

I was watching an oldish movie from the '60s and it had a street scene

(actually, it was "Bullitt.")  and everyone wore hats!  They were in downtown San Francisco, so that probably made a difference.  But I couldn't help but notice how nice everyone looked.  

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

I was watching an oldish movie from the '60s and it had a street scene

(actually, it was "Bullitt.")  and everyone wore hats!  They were in downtown San Francisco, so that probably made a difference.  But I couldn't help but notice how nice everyone looked.  

There was a time when it was practically scandalous for people to be seen without a hat.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

There was a time when it was practically scandalous for people to be seen without a hat.

Indeed, although gentlemen should remove theirs when in church.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I’m glad that is over with. 

I have a severely receding hairline and ya’ll have to deal with it!

Edited by A True Kaniggit

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I’m glad that is over with. 

I have a severely receding hairline and ya’ll have to deal with it!

All the men in my patriarchal and matriarchal lines are bald, so I knew from an early age that my hair was doomed. Though, there's another familial trait shared by our men, which perhaps made it easier for me to make peace with the fact that I was going to be a slap-head, years before my hair started falling out. Gotta take the rough with the smooth. :leer: 

Anyways, I was about thirty-five* when my widow's peak became untenable, and out came the clippers. Started off at Razor 4, I'm now down to a Razor 1 cut once a week.

Back then, when I finally worked up the courage and took the plunge, I couldn't believe how good it made me look. And I cursed myself for not doing it earlier; maybe my wife wouldn't have gone and made the beast with two backs with that photographer tosser. Grrr. :bawl: 

:lol:

Anyway, I've been thinking about going full Pep Guardiola for a while now. My brother got me one of those Pitbull thingies for Christmas. But I'm a bit scared to take it right down to the skin. Never been completely bald before.

I think I might wait 'til the summer.

* That's pretty good for us MacClarkeys. My wee cousin was full Prince William by the time he was eighteen.

Edited by Spockydog