NBA - squeaky bum time

BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Only in America. Juninho won premier league player of the season when Middlesborough got relegated. 

Which is dumb. Your team at least should be somewhat competitive to earn the award. 

34 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Which is dumb. Your team at least should be somewhat competitive to earn the award. 

It's about best player. Doesn't matter if the other 10 suck. 

Tbf he did get them to 2 finals that year (which they also lost) worst season ever. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Brunson seems like a floor raiser. That's not a bad thing, but it leads me to believe that he needs a better player to pair up with him if the goal is a chip. The good thing is I think a lot of dudes would really like to play with him. 

Eh. If Knicks had Randle, they could give Boston a run. Without him, they can still compete with Boston as evidenced last night when they were up by 30 against their starters in Boston. Brunson needs a team around him, like every star player, but there aren't more than 5 players in the NBA playing better than him right now (and I'd even argue it's less).

Edited by Mexal

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

It's about best player. Doesn't matter if the other 10 suck. 

Tbf he did get them to 2 finals that year (which they also lost) worst season ever. 

It's not, it's most valuable. If it was just best player Jordan and LeBron would probably have 20 combined. You could argue that Luka might be the best player, but he shouldn't win the MVP this year because his team isn't going to have homecourt once. This is why I believe Gobert will beat out Wemby for DPOY. The latter's stats are better, but his team sucks, meanwhile Gobert is the best defender on the best defensive team. That matters. 

31 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Eh. If Knicks had Randle, they could give Boston a run. Without him, they can still compete with Boston as evidenced last night when they were up by 30 against their starters in Boston. Brunson needs a team around him, like every star player, but there aren't more than 5 players in the NBA playing better than him right now (and I'd even argue it's less).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they get better without Randle? 

I don't think the Knicks are a contender this year, but they could take out any team in a seven game series. I just can't see them doing it four times, but they're not too far off. They should be really aggressive this offseason. There's a few FAs that look like nice fits and they absolutely should try to make a monster trade for a star on a bad team that needs to blow it up.

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they get better without Randle? 

I don't think the Knicks are a contender this year, but they could take out any team in a seven game series. I just can't see them doing it four times, but they're not too far off. They should be really aggressive this offseason. There's a few FAs that look like nice fits and they absolutely should try to make a monster trade for a star on a bad team that needs to blow it up.

Nah. They got better when they traded for OG. When OG, Randle and Brunson were playing, they were 17-2 or something like that. Then Randle went down, then OG and then pretty much everyone so at one point, it was Brunson and a bunch of back ups. In 2024, Brunson's +/- is the best in the league, even better than Jokic. His impact is MVP and All-Pro level.

I do agree that they're not really a contender and also agree they can beat anyone but likely not 4 times. So we're aligned there. With Randle, think they could have beaten anyone but with this team, think it'll be tough. One more scorer would be helpful.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Nah. They got better when they traded for OG. When OG, Randle and Brunson were playing, they were 17-2 or something like that. Then Randle went down, then OG and then pretty much everyone so at one point, it was Brunson and a bunch of back ups. In 2024, Brunson's +/- is the best in the league, even better than Jokic. His impact is MVP and All-Pro level.

I do agree that they're not really a contender and also agree they can beat anyone but likely not 4 times. So we're aligned there. With Randle, think they could have beaten anyone but with this team, think it'll be tough. One more scorer would be helpful.

I recall them having a hot run, but I'm not sure who they played. And IIRC the credit was mostly given to Brunson and OG. Randle has always felt unreliable. He's not bad, but he's got to be like a really high end fourth option on a good contract. Or in other words an affordable luxury. If he had a similar deal to Arron Gordon I'd like him more (both have four year deals, but Gordon is $30M less and frankly I'd rather have him). That said, the Brunson deal does give so much flexibility. 

If you want to be optimistic I'd look at Boston being a bit of a paper tiger right now and the Bucks are not as strong as they once were. It's not crazy to believe the Knicks could win the East, but I don't think they have a chance against Denver (who should win the West). It's just not a very good match up.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

We're going after Bridges

Agreed, he's one of the few names that makes a lot of sense. Every team could use a good two way wing, but I think they should also try and get a versatile big. I'm just not sure who they should target though. All the bigs I'd want don't seem like they're candidates to be traded. Bam would be a great fit, but he's only going to be available if Miami tears it all down. AD could be on the market if LeBron retires. Outside of that I'm not seeing a lot. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Agreed, he's one of the few names that makes a lot of sense. 

He was on that Wildcats team that won the title along with Brunson, Hart, and DiVincenzo, he's quite literally the perfect fit. 

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

I dunno, Lebron and Melo was pretty cool.

I'd argue LeBron and Wade. The latter is possibly the third best ever at his position and lead a team to the title really quickly, plus LeBron needed him to get his first title. If the Heat won the title that first year Wade would have been the MVP. He just started breaking down soon after as LeBron peaked. 

35 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I'd argue LeBron and Wade.

Melo had a better rookie season than Wade, which is what I was going off of.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Melo had a better rookie season than Wade, which is what I was going off of.

Opens Google tabs.

Yeah, Melo was better as a rookie, but I think it's fair to say Wade passed him in year two and I'm not sure if Melo really ever caught him again when Wade was healthy. The scoring output was pretty similar, but Wade impacted the game in a number of ways Melo didn't, especially on defense. I think Melo was born just a bit too soon because he would be a monster stretch four in today's game. Bosh might have been even better at it. Crazy those four went in the top five and then Darko is there as the bust. That's got to be one of the three best draft classes ever. There's some other interesting names on the list. I didn't know Korver was a late second round pick.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Opens Google tabs.

Huh?  Again, just looking at the rookie seasons.  Especially considering the injury concerns with both the current skinny giants could go wayside very quickly.

Point is Melo had the better rookie season than Wade, and that was what everyone was talking about that year.  Obviously, Wade had the far better career.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Huh?  Again, just looking at the rookie seasons.  Especially considering the injury concerns with both the current skinny giants could go wayside very quickly.

Point is Melo had the better rookie season than Wade, and that was what everyone was talking about that year.  Obviously, Wade had the far better career.

No disagreements. 

Melo is a curious figure because I do think he had top 25 all-time talent. He just never got anywhere close to it. I wonder what would have happened if the Pistons drafted him and/or he didn't force his way to the Knicks a year too soon. Oh well.

Regular season is over. The Western Conference looks like a nightmare to qualify for the playoffs. Warriors are 10th at 46 wins, Rockets are 11th at 41 wins, and next season the Grizzlies should be looking to contend for a spot as well. Might be twelve teams looking to compete for eight spots, assuming teams don't implode.

Also, 31 wins for the Jazz isn't impressive, but they had an even record at the trade deadline at 26-26, which was already more wins than the bottom six teams now. Maybe they'll finally bottom out next year.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Regular season is over. The Western Conference looks like a nightmare to qualify for the playoffs. Warriors are 10th at 46 wins, Rockets are 11th at 41 wins, and next season the Grizzlies should be looking to contend for a spot as well. Might be twelve teams looking to compete for eight spots, assuming teams don't implode.

I hate conference's, they reward mediocrity. Admittedly the celtics are the leagues best team, but how many from the west come before the next best currently, 5? 

Edited by BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hate conference's, they reward mediocrity. Admittedly the celtics are the leagues best team, but how many from the west come before the next best currently, 5? 

Mavs (5th) and Knicks (2nd) are tied at 50 wins.

To be fair, Sixers might have been above if Embiid didn't get injured. Bucks too, I guess, but seems like they never got their act together anyway. And the bottom play in spots aren't so bad either, Heat (8th) is at 46 wins. The Bulls and Hawks kind of limped into it, but they still have >40% win percentage.

Problem with eliminating conferences (and divisions) is that there will be less games. It's not happening. Maybe if they separate the in season tournament games from the league standings? Not likely for the foreseeable future though.

Edited by Proudfeet

The west isn’t nearly as dominant as it has been in the recent past.  And yeah, conferences remain useful when it comes to scheduling and travel.