NBA - squeaky bum time

BigFatCoward

34 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I looked this up and it's a little tricky from what I read, but the rules have loosened. If I have it right you can bet on other leagues, but for some sports it's banned doing so whenever you're on team property.

I don't know what you looked up, but everything seems pretty straightforward here.  The NFL has that no placing bets on league facilities rule, but none of the other three do.  Interestingly, in the NFL all other league personnel OTHER than players - coaches, officials, trainers - are prohibited from all sports betting.

22 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Draymond really is a prized plum.

Since they were playing the Magic I was watching that in real time.  It didn't even make sense.  He was arguing a foul that happened about four plays earlier and just wouldn't stop being a dick. 

Gotta say, Steph is not much of a help alleviating an obvious problem.  He was standing right there as if ready try to break it up..but he wasn't actually doing anything.  Just standing there.  At this point when Draymond goes off he needs to be much more assertive instead of just shaking his head after the fact.  Especially cuz he's probably the only one who can.

2 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

There are several. Kobe is overrated when compared to the other all-time greats. 

Yeah. But that's only because he died. When he was alive nobody seriously had him top 5. 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah. But that's only because he died. When he was alive nobody seriously had him top 5. 

Who in gods name has Kobe top 5?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DMC said:

Who in gods name has Kobe top 5?

Current nba players, a survey found 7% of current players thought he was 'greatest' so a significant number must have him as top 5. 

If you Google greatest nba players, and look at his average rank before/after death, he rises about 4 or 5 players. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you Google greatest nba players, and look at his average rank before/after death, he rises about 4 or 5 players. 

Yeah this is probably true - his death caused a considerable inflation.  But I still don't see him on the top 5 of any lists doing a quick google. 

I can't speak to current players, but I suppose that does make sense based on when they grew up.  Kind of a combination of recency bias with the tragedy.

Even before his death a lot of people argued he was second best after Jordan. Now obviously the majority of them are younger Lakers fans because there's no argument he's even better than Magic and wasn't even the best Laker of that era. I've argued here that KD is a better player while lacking the number of rings. Kobe is like Jeter to me. Each played 20 seasons for the glamor team in each sport and won five championships. Jeter was never close to the best player in MLB. Maybe Kobe was for a year or two, but LeBron lapped him pretty quickly. The problem with his untimely death in these debates is that a lot of people don't like when you poke holes in the argument for why he should be ranked so high. 

26 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Kobe is like Jeter to me.

Fairly good comparison.  But to be fair to Yankee fans - and trust me, many of them annoy me too - I've never really encountered any that wouldn't admit Jeter is clearly the inferior player compared to Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, and DiMaggio.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Fairly good comparison.  But to be fair to Yankee fans - and trust me, many of them annoy me too - I've never really encountered any that wouldn't admit Jeter is clearly the inferior player compared to Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, and DiMaggio.

I've never heard that either, but weren't a lot of people pissed off that he wasn't a unanimous first ballot HoFer? He certainly belongs, but he played with two better players who aren't going to get in and at a time where maybe the best player ever played and he also won't get in (and all three were better before the juice). Jeter got a strange amount of love imo especially since he's a pretty boring guy. Kobe was at least incredibly interesting, even if it wasn't always in a positive way (and that's not even including the rape case). 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I've never heard that either, but weren't a lot of people pissed off that he wasn't a unanimous first ballot HoFer?

Probably.  I know I didn't give a shit though.

One thing I'll say about ARod (I'm assuming the other one you mentioned Jeter playing with who's not gonna get in is Clemens?  That's..a bit different as a pitcher).  While he was obviously a much better player, there is the whole steroid/suspended for a year/etc. thing.  So, one thing I don't mind Yankee fans saying is even though ARod is clearly the superior player, Jeter was the better Yankee.

As for Jeter's personality, him being the golden boy always annoyed me.  And yes, a huge part of that was intentionally being as boring as possible.  But, there certainly was some value to that, especially vis-a-vis the New York media.  Whereas Kobe often came off as an asshole and even kinda embraced that.  So, at least in terms of public persona/image, I can definitely appreciate Jeter's tack much more.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

One thing I'll say about ARod (I'm assuming the other one you mentioned Jeter playing with who's not gonna get in is Clemens?  That's..a bit different as a pitcher).  While he was obviously a much better player, there is the whole steroid/suspended for a year/etc. thing.  So, one thing I don't mind Yankee fans saying is even though ARod is clearly the superior player, Jeter was the better Yankee.

Yeah, Clemens. And I agree, Jeter was the greater Yankee because of all the early success, but after that hot start which was team driven he was just kind an above average player a lot of the time if you factor in defense. Playing in NY is what made him such a big star much the same for Kobe playing in LA. If either Kobe or Jeter played for a smaller market team with the same stats, say Kobe in Memphis and Jeter in Milwaukee we the same stats they wouldn't be viewd the same way.

As for Jeter's personality, him being the golden boy always annoyed me.  And yes, a huge part of that was intentionally being as boring as possible.  But, there certainly was some value to that, especially vis-a-vis the New York media.  Whereas Kobe often came off as an asshole and even kinda embraced that.  So, at least in terms of public persona/image, I can definitely appreciate Jeter's tack much more.

Yeah, especially considering some of the rumors, but hey, he did play it right. I just prefer athletes being more honest and vulnerable. The robots annoy me to no end. It might be smart in some senses though it makes them feel cold and distant which is not what I'm seeking as a fan. That's why Ant is so much fun. He may say some dumb shit, but 90% of the time he's hilarious and always authentic. 

14 hours ago, The Big Stink said:

Is there any player in the history of sports as overrated as Luka Doncic?

Ball dominant, no defense, poor leadership, doesn't make his teammates better, complains about fouls, tends towards obesity, turns the ball over, no dog in him.

Now seems an odd time to say so, they've won 9 of 10 and he's averaging 30.7, 10 and 9.8. 

Enjoyed watching the Wolves stomp the Nuggets in Denver. The game was never really close even with the refs giving Joker every BS call they could (he does commit a lot of offensive fouls that just don't get called). 

20 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah this is probably true - his death caused a considerable inflation.

This was the case with Drazen Petrovic, a Yugoslav and later Croatian national team player, who played a couple of seasons in the NBA. Without a doubt, he was a great player of his generation, if not THE great player of his generation. He's won a lot of trophies and medals with both club and country (countries?), but after he died in a car accident his status became legendary. To hear people talk about him, it's as if he would've won an NBA ring and finals MVP every single season after that if he hadn't had that car accident.

Edited by baxus