NBA - squeaky bum time

BigFatCoward

14 hours ago, The Big Stink said:

The Lakers got cheated. Should have won that series. The Nuggets did NOT deserve to win and will get curb stomped by the Timberwolves. 

You must be trolling. 

6 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

His contract is up. Let's see how much he gets next.

I'm pretty sure he'll still get millions. ;) 

1 hour ago, baxus said:

I'm pretty sure he'll still get millions. ;) 

Well, yes. Unless nobody signs him, even if he gets a minimum, he'll still make a plural amount of million given his tenure. But he's on a max contract now, which is probably close to twenty times that. There's a lot of room for adjustment.

The Harris contract was just what happens when a pretty good player finds incredible leverage.  Everyone knew that giving Harris a max contract was a bad move, but letting him walk was also a bad move for Philly, so they chose to paid him.  It pretty clearly wasn't the right call, but it wasn't a crazy decision.   

23 minutes ago, The Big Stink said:

Lakers had 2 of the games won.

They had two games won, right up until they didn't.  It looked to me like the team with better depth and younger stars could execute better in the final minutes.  Who would have thought?

So the Bucks are out in the first round again.  They keep getting hit with the injury bug at the worst time.  They were healthy for thier 2021 run, but since then they've had to deal with injuries to Middleton (2022), Giannis (2023), and Giannis+Lillard+Middleton (2024).  Don't know if this team is good enough to beat Denver or Boston, but if they can't stay healthy we'll never find out. 

1 hour ago, The Big Stink said:

Lakers had 2 of the games won.

Well, considering that Nuggets won the series 4-1, I'd say you would need to check your sources. :lol:

1 hour ago, The Big Stink said:

Anthony Edwards will average at least 30

Rudy Gobert will contain Jokic.

They might, or they might not. If we knew who'd win ahead of time, sports would be a lot less interesting.

16 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Harris contract was just what happens when a pretty good player finds incredible leverage.  Everyone knew that giving Harris a max contract was a bad move, but letting him walk was also a bad move for Philly, so they chose to paid him.  It pretty clearly wasn't the right call, but it wasn't a crazy decision.   

They had two games won, right up until they didn't.  It looked to me like the team with better depth and younger stars could execute better in the final minutes.  Who would have thought?

Its not that. I'm sure he was pretty good at that point, and it wasn't an unreasonable contract at that point for the reasons you mentioned, but the issue is his decline. I don't know if this game was representative of his season, but he was awful. He was avoiding the ball, slow to rebounds, and wasn't defending particularly well. He just existed. That's it. The cardio comment was really apt.

_

That one game the Lakers won, they played much harder. AD really battled for those rebounds. Pity they couldn't do that earlier or keep that up.

Nuggets depth isn't looking great at the moment though, it was enough against the Lakers, but Malone cut it to practically a 6 man rotation with MPJ and Gordon logging 46 minutes that last game. Maybe its just a match up issue, but they'll need a better showing against the Wolves. They do still have home court which should help. 

16 minutes ago, baxus said:

They might, or they might not. If we knew who'd win ahead of time, sports would be a lot less interesting.

Nuggets-Wolves is the second round series I'm most excited about (regardless of who advances in the remaining matchups).  Are the Wolves real contenders?  They certainly looked it against Phoenix, but the Nuggets are a much sterner test.  The Nuggets have a way of stretching even strong defenses to a breaking point, we'll just have to see if the Wolves can keep up. Should be fun. 

4 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Its not that. I'm sure he was pretty good at that point, and it wasn't an unreasonable contract at that point for the reasons you mentioned, but the issue is his decline. I don't know if this game was representative of his season, but he was awful. He was avoiding the ball, slow to rebounds, and wasn't defending particularly well. He just existed. That's it. The cardio comment was really apt.

His numbers this year weren't terrible, he's just never been a flashy player.  He's an above average 3 point shooter and (for most of his career at least) an above average and versatile defender.  The kind of guy who can fill up minutes and let your star players do their thing without making your team worse.  It is quite possible he's no longer able to keep up defensively (he is almost 32). I haven't watched much of Philly's games this year to say.  He gets a lot of hate/scapegoating just because of his contract.   

Nuggets depth isn't looking great at the moment though, it was enough against the Lakers, but Malone cut it to practically a 6 man rotation with MPJ and Gordon logging 46 minutes that last game. Maybe its just a match up issue, but they'll need a better showing against the Wolves. They do still have home court which should help. 

The Nuggets looked a LOT more beatable against LAL than they did last year.  The big question is whether the competition is going to get better or if the Lakers are basically on par with anyone else in the West.  Their depth, while still better than the Lakers, was indeed a problem.  I don't imagine they'll be able to survive such a short rotation against Minnesota. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

His numbers this year weren't terrible, he's just never been a flashy player.  He's an above average 3 point shooter and (for most of his career at least) an above average and versatile defender.  The kind of guy who can fill up minutes and let your star players do their thing without making your team worse.  It is quite possible he's no longer able to keep up defensively (he is almost 32). I haven't watched much of Philly's games this year to say.  He gets a lot of hate/scapegoating just because of his contract.   

Maybe it was just an off game then. Or he's wilting under pressure like Simmons did. He was shockingly bad.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Nuggets looked a LOT more beatable against LAL than they did last year.  The big question is whether the competition is going to get better or if the Lakers are basically on par with anyone else in the West.  Their depth, while still better than the Lakers, was indeed a problem.  I don't imagine they'll be able to survive such a short rotation against Minnesota. 

Nuggets did also shorten their rotation against the Lakers last year, but that was more LeBron playing Braun out of it. Not sure what the issue was this year. Maybe Malone really wanted to secure the win. 

Hope its a good series against the Wolves. 

6 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Maybe it was just an off game then. Or he's wilting under pressure like Simmons did. He was shockingly bad.

I just asked my friends who are Sixers fans and they said that he's still an average NBA player, but he's never been even a top 40 NBA player, which is why his contract was ridiculous from the start.  He probably just had a bad game. 

Ham predictably was fired. Clear he was very weak tactically and did a bad job of minutes allocation for that team. His bad coaching forced them into a bad first round matchup. I think the Lakers were capable of beating any other western team but Denver first round not a good matchup.

Yeah the issue with Harris is that he just got old in the last year or two of his contract, which, ya know, if often how contracts play out.  His contract was always an overpay, tbc, but there are plenty of other examples that are at least just as egregious.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah the issue with Harris is that he just got old in the last year or two of his contract, which, ya know, if often how contracts play out.  His contract was always an overpay, tbc, but there are plenty of other examples that are at least just as egregious.

Yeah, Davis Bertans is due $33 million over the next two years, and he is bad at basically every basketball skill except shooting (and he's not an elite shooter).  He is barely even a rotation player for $17 mil a year. 

This was an amazing series between the Knicks and the Sixers. So much drama, so many big shots, so many ref controversies...B)

Kudos to the Knicks for not losing intentionally in the last regular season game to avoid the Sixers even after they reached OT, the other games were over and they could have done it without risking anything.

Embiid is a great player and he deserves praise for playing huge minutes and having massive positive impact while clearly nowhere near 100% but he needs to work on his stamina, every year he just has no legs in the last quarter of most playoff games.

12 hours ago, David Selig said:

he needs to work on his stamina, 

That, and learning how to not be a massive bitch. 

Posted (edited)

Nice comeback there from blowing that early lead. I think that the Wolves just have the defense to hamper the nuggets back line where the lakers couldn’t.

Also if Edwards is going to shoot 60% that will help quite a bit.

Edited by Arakasi