Friends: TV Show 1994 - 2004 (Sitcoms)

4 hours ago, DMC said:

If you don't get Ross is cheap, you haven't been watching the series.  Hell, after he breaks up with Mona he breaks into her apartment and when she asks if she can keep his shirt he says no.

So out of a million episodes, the one example you can think of is not an example of him being cheap at all? 

Edited by BigFatCoward

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Or, it could be that the showrunners played into antisemitic tropes - even though they themselves are Jewish - because they assumed that would have the most mass appeal among the American public.  I'm sorry to interrupt your safe space, but this exact aspect has been part and parcel of Hollywood for over a century now.

So not only was there no outcry from the general public and audiences, there wasn’t even seen a problem by the Jewish writers of the show. It’s almost as if this is a controversy that lives entirely in your own head.

Monica was easily the most generous character on the show, and broke up with an actual billionaire, how's that playing up to stereotype?

Google only finds me one example of ross being depicted as cheap in the show, when he 'steals' loads of freebies from a hotel, its quite the leap to get from that to being depicted as miserly as a sterotype, we all steal hotel shit right?

Edited by BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Google only finds me one example of ross being depicted as cheap in the show, when he 'steals' loads of freebies from a hotel, its quite the leap to get from that to being depicted as miserly as a sterotype, we all steal hotel shit right?

Yea I found the same one. The only other thing I can think of is where he doesn’t want to chip in for the gift for the departing janitor of his new apartment block.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah that episode was about Monica/Chandler/Ross making more money than Rachel/Phoebe/Joey.  If you don't get Ross is cheap, you haven't been watching the series.  Hell, after he breaks up with Mona he breaks into her apartment and when she asks if she can keep his shirt he says no.

I honestly did not mean to start political shit.  Frankly, I assumed it'd be obvious to all across the political spectrum.  Unfortunately, we still have people that can't recognize antisemitism when it's put right in front of their faces.  Or deny as such for political purposes.

So, whatever man.  It's a sad person that can't at least acknowledge the stereotypes depicted in Friends.  It's not an indictment on the show -- and people (including myself) can and did identify it at the time.  The only part of this that's "woke" is you whining about it.

I don’t really want to go off on such a weird tangent, but I’m not sure why you’ve gone so over the top on the defensive here…? Was I denying for political purposes? Did I accuse anyone or anything of wokeness? Did I whine about it? I think you invented a post somewhere after my actual one.

As it stands I think the multiple examples that have been posted of Ross spending money (a symptom of the FAR more prevalent and FAR better documented issue that they all have crazy amounts of money for people who live in comfortable Manhattan apartments) against your “he kept a shirt that one time” speaks for itself. 

11 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea I found the same one. The only other thing I can think of is where he doesn’t want to chip in for the gift for the departing janitor of his new apartment block.

I had a quick google, there also appears to be a number of occasions where Ross is actually very generous with his money. So I don't even know if this critique holds up at all.

edit.. sorry which I think you just mentioned.

Edited by Heartofice

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

So out of a million episodes, the one example you can think of is not an example of him being cheap at all? 

If by "a million episodes" you mean 236, sure.  And if by "one example" you mean the one I brought up in that post and ignoring the fact I had already brought up the hotels and the lottery when I raised the issue.  There's no point in conversing if you can't read so good.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

So not only was there no outcry from the general public and audiences, there wasn’t even seen a problem by the Jewish writers of the show. It’s almost as if this is a controversy that lives entirely in your own head.

...Huh?  Never claimed there was any outcry -- indeed the fact there never was going to be is kinda the point.  But good job changing the subject so as to not engage!  That is your specialty!

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Monica was easily the most generous character on the show, and broke up with an actual billionaire, how's that playing up to stereotype?

Never said Monica was depicted as cheap.  Again, reading is FUNdamental!

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I don’t really want to go off on such a weird tangent, but I’m not sure why you’ve gone so over the top on the defensive here…? Was I denying for political purposes? Did I accuse anyone or anything of wokeness? Did I whine about it? I think you invented a post somewhere after my actual one.

Fair point, I was ascribing your post to the above two based on history and, well, obvious anticipation.  For that, I apologize.  I'm sorry.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

...Huh?  Never claimed there was any outcry -- indeed the fact there never was going to be is kinda the point.  But good job changing the subject so as to not engage!  That is your specialty!

My point is that you are claiming there is an issue with antisemitic writing on the show.. except it's really just you who seems to think this is the case. There was no outcry over it before, the jewish writers didn't seem to think it was an issue. It's just you.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Never said Monica was depicted as cheap.  Again, reading is FUNdamental!

So the writers wrote a Jewish character and didn't make her cheap.. was it another set of non-antisemitic writers who wrote her I wonder?

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

My point is that you are claiming there is an issue with antisemitic writing on the show.. except it's really just you who seems to think this is the case. There was no outcry over it before, the jewish writers didn't seem to think it was an issue. It's just you.

Again, this is a crutch you're trying to stand on that simply doesn't exist.  I was the one that brought up the showrunners themselves are Jewish to demonstrate the point.  You using that as somehow refuting my point is rather expected irt your tendency towards lazy argumentation, but effectively is meaningless.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So the writers wrote a Jewish character and didn't make her cheap.. was it another set of non-antisemitic writers who wrote her I wonder?

Again, read what I said on Monica's depiction.  It's rather pointless to continue to engage with demonstrably bad faith posters.

What’s the lottery accusation exactly? I’ve seen those later ones less than the others, but aren’t all 6 friends caught up in the fervour of a big lottery win? Does Ross act especially cheaply there compared to the other 5?

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

If by "a million episodes" you mean 236, sure.  And if by "one example" you mean the one I brought up in that post and ignoring the fact I had already brought up the hotels and the lottery when I raised the issue.  There's no point in conversing if you can't read so good.

So in about 100 hours of the show' over 10 years, 3 things that 'may' be perceived as cheap is this huge anti semitic agenda? Have you heard yourself? 

Conversely there were more incidents that showed him as generous. 

3 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Does Ross act especially cheaply there compared to the other 5?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

So in about 100 hours of the show' over 10 years, 3 things that 'may' be perceived as cheap is this huge anti semitic agenda? Have you heard yourself? 

I could name more, sure, but what's the point?  You'll just write it off as "well, ok, 5 things, or 10 things in 100 hours."  There's no reason to continue this conversation beyond dick measuring.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

I could name more, sure, but what's the point?  You'll just write it off as "well, ok, 5 things, or 10 things in 100 hours."  There's no reason to continue this conversation beyond dick measuring.

if you could name more, why did you lead with the shirt issue, which clearly wasn't an example of him being problematically cheap? 

i seem to remember he used to get a cheap haircut maybe and they took the piss out of him.  In all of Rachels break up rants (it seemed like there were a lot) not once did she ever mention him being tight when she was throwing shade at him.

off the top of my head when he was generous -

paying for tickets for the Hootie and the Blowfish concert (if slightly misjudged)

buying joey porcelain dog

chipping in for Phoebe's bike

didn't he buy a fuck ton of girl scout cookies

gave monica money when she lost her job

and that took 2 minutes. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

if you could name more, why did you lead with the shirt issue, which clearly wasn't an example of him being problematically cheap? 

I didn't lead with it.  This is a continuing fault of your inability to read previous posts.  But, yes, that is an example of him being cheap.  You acting like it isn't confounds me.  It's as if because it's a shirt you're trying to make some Lockeian argument on property for some reason.

Anyway, the larger point is all the characters are caricatures that feed into stereotypes.  Joey as the dumb Italian.  Phoebe as the airhead hippy.  Rachel as the JAP -- although, again, it's never made clear if she Jewish.  Chandler as the emasculated funny guy reliably referred to as gay for laughs.

It's a very common criticism of the show.  Does that negate it's quality or impact?  Of course not.  Does it mean the people making it were bigots?  Of course not.  But pointing out these rather obvious aspects should not be some type of political debate.  It's a reflection of where society is at in the nineties.  Sociology is literally being attacked in the state I live in, and this is why.  People can't handle simple empirical inferences without getting all in a huff.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

I didn't lead with it.  This is a continuing fault of your inability to read previous posts.  But, yes, that is an example of him being cheap.  You acting like it isn't confounds me.  It's as if because it's a shirt you're trying to make some Lockeian argument on property for some reason.

Wanting own stuff for own use is anti Semitic, got it. 

IIRC he never once mentioned any value of the shirt, it was entirely because it was his favourite (or was that a top that Rachel had?  they do all tend to run into one).  That doesn't justify the burglary of his ex, but its got nothing to do with being miserly. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

IIRC he never once mentioned any value of the shirt

HA!  Seriously?  The fact he didn't make a valuation on the shirt is your primary counterargument?  K.  You're right, he didn't mention how much he paid for a shirt on a fucking TV show.  You got me!

And, yeah, it was apparently one of his favorite shirts.  That doesn't change the fact him going to the extent he did to get it back is an indication of being cheap.

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's a very common criticism of the show.  Does that negate it's quality or impact?  Of course not.  Does it mean the people making it were bigots?  Of course not.  But pointing out these rather obvious aspects should not be some type of political debate.  It's a reflection of where society is at in the nineties.  Sociology is literally being attacked in the state I live in, and this is why.  People can't handle simple empirical inferences without getting all in a huff.

It's a common criticism of the show NOW. That is a reflection of where society is now that this ever really comes up as an issue. If sociology in your state is trying to paint Ross as an antisemitic trope then maybe thats no bad thing.