Friends: TV Show 1994 - 2004 (Sitcoms)

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Nope, she pretended to be possessed in the lead up to Susan's wedding.

Yeah, see above:

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Oh, yeah, there was also the other one where she pretended she was possessed by some older dead lady.  And her husband propositioned her.  Yeah, that was pretty funny too.

One thing I'll say about Carol - they recasted her really well.  The original Carol in the pilot was not nearly as good as the Carol for the rest of the series.  And the latter frankly should have been included more.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, DMC said:

One thing I'll say about Carol - they recasted her really well.  The original Carol in the pilot was not nearly as good as the Carol for the rest of the series.  And the latter frankly should have been included more.

Well damn. I just learned something new.

I should pay more attention on the first episode apparently.

Edit: On to episode 3.

Phoebe is still worse than Ross. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

10 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Well damn. I just learned something new.

I should pay more attention on the first episode apparently.

The first one appears in the second episode, not the pilot.  My bad.

It seems popular on Reddit these days to dunk on Friends and say it was terrible, but man that thing was a juggernaut in its day. It was huge. Like most people my age I’ve seen them all about 50 times and could probably write out the sheet music for the theme from memory (in fact the actual song sounds weirdly slowed down and un-processed now). 

It was weird how this caught fire in the UK but stuff like Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond never made a dent, they rarely got a better slot than Saturday mornings before most people were out of bed.

I remember my sister had some of the VHS’s that had four episodes each so I’ve seen the Eddie episodes a ton, but they’re good episodes. 

“Eddie likes to keep it over there”.

NBC's Thursday night Must See TV was at it's best when it was The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, and Night Court.

Sorry for the threadjack but I never understood why Friends became so popular.

41 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

It seems popular on Reddit these days to dunk on Friends and say it was terrible, but man that thing was a juggernaut in its day. It was huge. Like most people my age I’ve seen them all about 50 times and could probably write out the sheet music for the theme from memory (in fact the actual song sounds weirdly slowed down and un-processed now). 

It was weird how this caught fire in the UK but stuff like Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond never made a dent, they rarely got a better slot than Saturday mornings before most people were out of bed.

I remember my sister had some of the VHS’s that had four episodes each so I’ve seen the Eddie episodes a ton, but they’re good episodes. 

“Eddie likes to keep it over there”.

Seinfeld in the UK was relegated to like 11pm on BBC2, which wasn’t the major channel, they had no idea what to do with it. Friends was given a popular slot on a Friday evening which really helped it.

At that age I had a real issue with Friends and it annoyed me how popular it was. At the time there were so many amazing UK comedies like Alan Partridge and The Office, which were ground breaking and unique, but was Friends that everyone talked about at school. 

One of the reasons I ignored Seinfeld for so long is because it seemed to epitomise that US comedy style, all really broad, obvious comedy that just wants to manipulate its audience. Wasn’t till much later I understood how good it was.

With Friends, I seem to remember almost every single episode, can quote a lot of it , and I sort of appreciate what it was doing, but I rarely found it funny. 

Edited by Heartofice

7 hours ago, DMC said:

The internet's been over this, but Ross sucks hard.  Not only is he an apparently absentee father, but also horrifically and admittedly bad at his job, of course just generally boring, and most importantly for the show - a pretty shitty friend.

They're all pretty shitty friends, and pretty shitty people tbqh. But that's a sitcom problem. You need conflict to drive plot. If they were all really good friends, there would be no storylines.

Still, I wouldn't want to hang with any of them.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

I recognized her, second Carol, from The Famous Teddy Z and Herman's Head.

Two shows I'd much rather there be a discussion about than Friends...

42 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Chandler Bing was something of an avatar of familiarity for me and my brother in high school. His awkwardness, emotional uncertainty, insecurities - man, it all spoke to us something fierce. Can still do a pretty decent impression of him if asked.

It’s difficult to overstate how influential Matthew Perry was as a comic actor, Chandler’s sarcasm bled into everything in the 90s and beyond.

Please don't kill me, but Friends was a painfully unfunny and simply bad show when it first aired, and it neither aged well nor holds up to scrutiny. I have always held this view and am gratified to see a significant proportion of people finally beginning to express it.

(Still infinitely better than The Big Bang Theory, though.)

9 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

2) But more immediately, 1-6, list the best of the friends!

That said, this is fun!

1) Phoebe

2) Joey

3/4) Monica

3/4) Chandler

5) Rachel

6) Judas Iscariot

7) Ross

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Pretty ashamed to admit I do have a rather encyclopedic knowledge of Friends despite it being the whitest show ever. 

It's hilarious that it's somewhat of a ripoff of a black show, Living Single. 

And Judge Judy will always slap in my book.

33 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

Please don't kill me, but Friends was a painfully unfunny and simply bad show when it first aired, and it neither aged well nor holds up to scrutiny. I have always held this view and am gratified to see a significant proportion of people finally beginning to express it.

This is my take as well. I never found it funny or interesting. The show is frankly boring. HIMYM isn't great either, but at least with that one you can really laugh sometimes. 

Who is worse, Ted or Ross?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Who is worse, Ted or Ross?

Ted, because while much (though far from all) of Ross' malice can be attributed to his sheer ignorance, incompetence, and dysfunction as a human being, Ted generally knows that what he's doing is wrong and he simply does not care.

Having said that, he's much funnier (and intentionally so), even if it isn't saying much -- as you alluded to. 

The main cast were pretty vanilla but it had some great ensemble pieces. 

Eddy the crazy fuck room mate was definitely the best, marginally followed by The Gellers. 

And for the 10 or so years that it was on Coutney Cox was my dream woman. I couldn't believe it when she married that weasel faced Arquette fuck.

Edited by BigFatCoward

4 hours ago, mormont said:

They're all pretty shitty friends, and pretty shitty people tbqh. But that's a sitcom problem. You need conflict to drive plot. If they were all really good friends, there would be no storylines.

Yeah definitely have to control for sitcom issues -- and especially nineties laugh-track sitcom contrivances.  That's why I think Ross stands out as so horrible though.  Chandler and Joey are depicted as having such a bond they make the two living together a story arc throughout the series (with Eddy as mentioned and later when Chandler moves in with Monica).  The three women also live with each other throughout the show.

With Ross, he predominately lives alone.  The only times he doesn't are when Rachel is pregnant - which doesn't work out; and a couple eps when he lives with Chandler and Joey - that are centered around the fact the latter two can't stand living with him.  Honestly based on the depiction I wouldn't have been surprised if it turned out Ross was actually a serial killer in comparison.

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Chandler Bing was something of an avatar of familiarity for me and my brother in high school. His awkwardness, emotional uncertainty, insecurities - man, it all spoke to us something fierce.

Yep, identified with Perry too.  Not just in this, but Fools Rush In and The Whole Nine Yards.  He hit the spot as a nineties everyman.

51 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The main cast were pretty vanilla but it had some great ensemble pieces. 

Pitt's turn as the guy from the I Hate Rachel Club was pretty fun.  Their holiday episodes - Thanksgiving or Christmas - are generally the most rewatchables.

3 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

HIMYM isn't great either, but at least with that one you can really laugh sometimes. 

HIMYM is a poor man's Friends at best.  Which means decidedly unwatchable.