Friends: TV Show 1994 - 2004 (Sitcoms)

I think it's the problem of starting a thread about Friends under the impression that Friends can sustain a very long, multi-page thread, which it probably can't (maybe if it was 2002 and people were talking about the latest episode very week, it could). On the other hand, talking about awesome sitcoms in general can.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah.  Thing is, Monty Python ain't even a sitcom.

Monty Python's Flying Circus begs to differ. :P

(not really a sitcom, I know...)

Edited by kissdbyfire

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

let alone seen unless you've caught them on PBS late on a Friday or Saturday?

Australians are bewildered when I tell them that 2am on Saturday mornings on a local public broadcaster in Boston was the *only* way to watch anything British growing up, as otherwise, it was all Yank All The Time.

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

How in the heck did this thread, ostensibly about one of the most popular American sitcoms ever, devolve into a discussion about what constitutes a superior British sitcom...usually about ones most of haven't heard of, let alone seen unless you've caught them on PBS late on a Friday or Saturday?

That's high comedy... :P

A baby got me sick shortly after the thread started, so I wasn’t around to even make an attempt at keeping the thread on track. 

By the time the fever went away and I was able to read all the pages I had missed, I knew there was no route to recovery. 

And I’m going to throw out an instance that Ross was both generous and cheap. (Though not really cheap)

After Joey was fired from Days of Our Lives Joey’s stuff was all being repossessed. 

To make Joey feel better Ross buys him one of the items being taken away. 

The $1200 plastic bird? Hell no!

The $200 dog? Yep!  

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

After Joey was fired from Days of Our Lives Joey’s stuff was all being repossessed. 

To make Joey feel better Ross buys him one of the items being taken away. 

The $1200 plastic bird? Hell no!

The $200 dog? Yep!  

Yeah throughout the series seems pretty clear if it wasn't for Chandler and to a lesser extent Ross, Joey would either be homeless or moving back into his parents with his four thousand sisters.  I guess Monica too counts there irt Joey always taking food.

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

What We Do In the Shadows is quite possibly the best ever sitcom.

I’ve never laughed at this show. I just don’t see what’s good about it. I should like it, love everyone involved, but it falls flat for me. It’s very far from top quality comedy IMO.

Matt Berry who I’ve loved in everything since I saw him in Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace, just feels like he’s running on fumes with his character, it doesn’t feel like he’s trying, not like Toast of London or something 

Kayvan Novak, the Fonejacker guy, who was just mind blowing in Four Lions, just doesn’t really do anything new, like he’s just doing a funny accent and that’s it.

Natasia Demitrou who I know from her being brilliant in Stath lets Flats, again just feels like she’s doing an accent and that’s where the comedy comes from.

I dunno, maybe the vampire gimmick doesn’t work for me, I just don’t connect with the joke there, but also I’m just so aware of all of these actors work that all of it seems lazy and nowhere near what they’ve done before. That goes for Taika too.

Edited by Heartofice

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I’ve never laughed at this show. I just don’t see what’s good about it. I should like it, love everyone involved, but it falls flat for me. It’s very far from top quality comedy IMO.

Matt Berry who I’ve loved in everything since I saw him in Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace, just feels like he’s running on fumes with his character, it doesn’t feel like he’s trying, not like Toast of London or something 

Kayvan Novak, the Fonejacker guy, who was just mind blowing in Four Lions, just doesn’t really really do a thing new, like he’s just doing a funny accent and that’s it.

Natasia Demitrou who I know from her being brilliant in Stath lets Flats, again just feels like she’s doing an accent and that’s where the comedy comes from.

I dunno, maybe the vampire gimmick doesn’t work for me, I just don’t connect with the joke there, but also I’m just so aware of all of these actors work that all of it seems lazy and nowhere near what they’ve done before. That goes for Taika too.

You are dead wrong. did you like the film?  

one of my favourite quotes from anything is

'The movie 'Twilight'. Have you seen it? Okay, I'm the main in 'Twilight'

Also Nadja is the hottest vampire in the history of vampires.  Its god tier, along with Blackadder (2,3,4), League of Gentlemen (1,2), i'm Alan Partridge (1), Parks and rec (not season 1) and its always sunny, not so much the recent series.  

Edited by BigFatCoward

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Also Nadja is the hottest vampire in the history of vampires

Monica Belluci was a vampire in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Nadja will have to settle for the #2 position.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Monica Belluci was a vampire in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Nadja will have to settle for the #2 position.

But Monica Belluci is hot in everything, i don't even find 'non Nadja' Natasia that fit, its her vampiric persona that i find hot. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

48 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You are dead wrong. did you like the film?  

one of my favourite quotes from anything is

'The movie 'Twilight'. Have you seen it? Okay, I'm the main in 'Twilight'

Also Nadja is the hottest vampire in the history of vampires.  Its god tier, along with Blackadder (2,3,4), League of Gentlemen (1,2), i'm Alan Partridge (1), Parks and rec (not season 1) and its always sunny, not so much the recent series.  

I’ve tried watching the movie 3 times, and I switched it off. I just don’t get the joke, the vampire thing doesn’t work for me.

Plus, Thor Ragnarok is one of my favourite Marvel movies, I used to be obsessed by Flight of the Conchords so NZ humour should appeal to me. Eagle vs Shark is something I used to force people to watch. By rights Shadows should be right up my alley, but I just don’t find the central concept funny, it feels all rather limited. The only part I found interesting was the concept of an Energy Vampire. 

Edited by Heartofice

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Monica Belluci

Bellucci.

I know it's a shit show that everyone can make fun of, but if we're doing hottest vampires, Deborah Ann Woll as Jessica Hamby on True Blood beats the femme fatale from Matrix 2.

I do love What We Do In The Shadows but the latest season does feel like they've run out of road. I believe the next is the last?

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Oh, sorry, I'm a lowly dog grading midterms at four in the morning.  It's of course Salma Hayek.  

Now that I can post again, Idk how ya'll made the most obvious mistake ever. Hayek is the GOAT hot vampire, at least on the women's side. Men's side is a little bit more open. There's something really sexy about how Lestat comes in at the very end of Interview with the Vampire. 

Never really bothered with True Blood so can't speak to that.