3 Body Problem (Show Spoilers Only)

IFR

4 hours ago, Rippounet said:

The scene with his family helps explain why, by establishing that his family are dickheads, and that he doesn't give a fuck about them - nor, in all likelihood, about humanity as a whole.

Rippounet's response is excellent, fully on-the-ball.

My immediate response to the question is a simpler version of it. Will's family reminded me of Ye Wenje's family in a sense so reduced as to be almost absurd. Ye Wenje's entire motivation is an effect of witnessing her mother and younger sister (not shown in the TV show) denouncing her father, showing her experience of humanity to be selfish, self-preserving and not deserving to exist.

Will's family is a pathetic parallel - never cared about him and just care for themselves. Take out the context of political extremism and high tension, and human nature is revealed to be just as disappointing. The contrast is that Will decides to do what he can to save - not humanity, but the girl he loves.

12 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Rippounet's response is excellent, fully on-the-ball.

My immediate response to the question is a simpler version of it. Will's family reminded me of Ye Wenje's family in a sense so reduced as to be almost absurd. Ye Wenje's entire motivation is an effect of witnessing her mother and younger sister (not shown in the TV show) denouncing her father, showing her experience of humanity to be selfish, self-preserving and not deserving to exist.

Will's family is a pathetic parallel - never cared about him and just care for themselves. Take out the context of political extremism and high tension, and human nature is revealed to be just as disappointing. The contrast is that Will decides to do what he can to save - not humanity, but the girl he loves.

I felt like Dr. Ye's despair for humanity was communicated very effectively as it was. She didn't need a sister; her mother denouncing her father was heartbreaking and effective, as were the petty actions of officials around her etc. 

So if it was really just more character depth for Will that is actually fine with me. But I guess I felt like I knew and understood him without the scene. He was a deep and complex thinking soul. Maybe it helps to have simply known people like him in real life, which maybe not everyone does.

I suppose I just question whether we will ever see the sister again and why.

Edited by Hippocras

3 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

FWIW this YouTube just dropped, asking why Saul has been chosen to be a Wallfacer:

Why Saul is an Important Wallfacer | 3 Body Problem EXPLAINED

There's something that's close to a spoiler in there... I mean... Whenever you discuss clues as to what comes next, you run the risk of saying too much...

But it may be a genuine question: if you point out that something that probably went unnoticed is actually a clue, are you guilty of saying too much? Is it spoiling to point people in the right direction?

Having been surprised by some plot twists in the books, I'd rather preserve those surprises for show viewers if possible. But maybe that makes me a no-spoiler fundamentalist or something... :P

Edited by Rippounet

1 minute ago, Rippounet said:

There's something that's close to a spoiler in there... I mean... Whenever you discuss clues as to what comes next, you run the risk of saying too much...

But it may be a genuine question: if you point out that something that probably went unnoticed is actually a clue, are you guilty of saying too much? Is it spoiling to point people in the right direction?

Having been surprised by some plot twists in the books, I'd rather preserve those surprises for show viewers if possible. But maybe that makes me a no-spoiler fundamentalist or something... :P

I have two responses to that; 1. hinting that "something we missed is a clue" is too vague to be a spoiler, and 2. D&D changed so much from the first book, there's little reason to expect them to reproduce the "spoiler" from the second book in a recognisable form, so 'nah'.

Just now, House Cambodia said:

I have two responses to that; 1. hinting that "something we missed is a clue" is too vague to be a spoiler,

The video goes further than that though.
I know my partner, being a show-viewer only, completely missed the importance of something whose importance the video explains... I told her because she doesn't give a fuck about spoilers but she's a bit weird on that front (she doesn't mind being told the end of a story before reading/watching it), and I personally prefer to try to figure things out on my own.

Not trying to be a pain, but since this is a nerds' forum, I'd be curious to know what kind of policy would the moderation establish here, given that there was such a policy for ASOAIF...

5 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I know my partner, being a show-viewer only, completely missed the importance of something whose importance the video explains... I told her because she doesn't give a fuck about spoilers but she's a bit weird on that front (she doesn't mind being told the end of a story before reading/watching it), and I personally prefer to try to figure things out on my own.

Not trying to be a pain, but since this is a nerds' forum, I'd be curious to know what kind of policy would the moderation establish here, given that there was such a policy for ASOAIF...

Oh, okay. I posted the video because a poster above was asking those exact questions. I'll be more careful and not post YouTube videos here.

19 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I would personally prefer to not have book spoilers here. I will read the books. But as the show came first for me, I will stay with that version for discovering this version of the themes then diver deeper with the books later.

Edited by Hippocras

On 4/4/2024 at 3:36 PM, Zorral said:

Gotta say, none of the comments here or elsewere have provided the least nudge toward wanting to bother with this!

I found it disturbing, bringing to mind mostly forgotten childhood nightmares. Which means I can't wait for more.

I haven't read the books, as I hate reading sci-fi (love watching it though, was a Trekie by age 12 and only TOS was available)  I'm just a visual reader, so I have a hard time with most sci-fi.

I really enjoyed the show, as an individual thing. (no books, no science, just the drama) especially the historical Chinese parts.

I worked out a peaceful solution in my mind, but it lacks the drama of good story telling ;)  (but a good story makes you want to try and solve the problem too, so there us that)

19 minutes ago, Ser Lany said:

the historical Chinese parts.

I'll stick with the Judge Dee Mysteries -- also on NF!  :cheers:  I'm enjoying these very much.  Lately, the evening routine has become dinner, and announcing to Partner, "OK, I'm leaving for the Tang Dynasty for an hour or two."

Additionally, currently all three of the Once Upon A Time in China films are on ... is it HBO or AP?  I can't remember.  I'm still in the Tang. :D  (Which, coincidentally, is regarded as a Golden Age -- which is the same century here in the West as Justinian's Flea, which was anything but golden.)

Edited by Zorral

Did the book author invent the 3-star system where the San Ti originate?

They mentioned it's about 4 light years away. That is basically Alpha Centauri, which does contain 3 stars, but Proxima Centauri is a red dwarf and it's in a much greater orbit than the other 2 stars, so I'm not sure if it would have the instability presented in the show for the San Ti planet.

18 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Did the book author invent the 3-star system where the San Ti originate?

They mentioned it's about 4 light years away. That is basically Alpha Centauri, which does contain 3 stars, but Proxima Centauri is a red dwarf and it's in a much greater orbit than the other 2 stars, so I'm not sure if it would have the instability presented in the show for the San Ti planet.

Yes. In the book, the aliens are called 'Trisolarans', i.e. 'three-suns'. Cixin Liu does specifically say they hail from the Alpha Centauri solar system.

Right and I believe in the Netflix version the ETO refer to the Centauran system in passing.  When I was reading the book with some friends, we debated which system it was and had bypassed Alpha Centauri because it doesn't seem to have the orbital mechanics necessary for the plot.  A and B are gravitationally bound spinning around a central point and proxima is the equivalent of a very very far off satellite of that combined system.  Proxima is known to have stable planets and there's nothing to indicate the tidal forces needed to have planets swapping stellar bodies (A and B are ~35 AU apart).  To be fair, the book was published before much of this was worked out, and even so, its an acceptable creative license for the plot.

Edited by horangi

The viewership numbers are still looking good if not stellar. This show will lose the no.1 spot for English shows this week, as Baby Reindeer is surging, but it should still be in the top 10 for another week or two at least.

So can they just get on with renewing it? I wish Netflix would just have some intellectual commitment to an idea and follow it through sometimes. This is the kind of show where enthusiasm needs to build because it does not fit easily into a box so can take time for some to discover. That doesn't mean it will not succeed. I predict a second season, if they have some courage and actually invest in it, will have MUCH stronger numbers than the first as people over time try it out. and get excited about seeing more.

They are currently flogging the back-to-back production of The Witcher's final two seasons.

3 Body was last month -- and they did a promo / roll out worthy of a Hollywood tent pole.  Next!

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It's still top ten in Canada. It was top three as of last week. Not bad for something that's been out for a month.

It's no Squid Game but still a pretty decent performance. 

yeah, I just look at the world numbers, not individual countries. In the world for English shows it was 2nd in the release week (Thurs to Sun only) then spent 3 weeks in 1st place. Which is good, but relative. It is really just that their hard number of cumulative views is maybe not as high as they hoped, so not in the same league as Wednesday or Stranger Things.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to jump into the show soon but figured I'd post my audiobook thoughts here to reference back to as I watch the show. I just finished the Three Body Problem audiobook this morning and this is spoiler free but I'll hide it anyway.

Spoiler

The first half of the book is an intriguing mystery with something of a spy thriller feel. I very much enjoyed that. The second half is a jargon-heavy word salad thought experiment that felt, at least to me, both boring and often ungrounded despite the science. It felt rushed and impersonal and borderline nonsensical at times.

While some may enjoy the second half more than I did (and that's totally fine because people should enjoy what they enjoy) it was so dissimilar from the first half of the book that felt poorly done. By the end of the book, I just wanted them to stop explaining stuff and just end the thing.

I read the book so that I could watch the show and I'm moderately intrigued to see how the show handles things and if they follow the same order as the book ... stuff like that ... but I'm actually less excited about the show, knowing what the book presents overall.

Legit disappointed.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing