3 Body Problem (Show Spoilers Only)

IFR

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It's a perfect example

It’s a perfect example,  which precisely backs up my point, given that at least 2 major reviewers pointed out that Hemsworth really doesn’t look like a scientist because he’s just too hot. So thanks for helping me out.. even inadvertently.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

What a load of sexist, incel-lite horseshit

I get what you're saying, but is it really sexist to suggest that most scientists aren't models, and vice versa?

On the other hand...

You're right to point out that a lot of male actors don't receive the same comments when they play character xyz, so I suppose I just answered my own question. It's kind of sexist.

1 minute ago, Relic said:

I get what you're saying, but is it really sexist to suggest that most scientists aren't models, and vice versa?

On the other hand...

You're right to point out that a lot of male actors don't receive the same comments when they play character xyz, so I suppose I just answered my own question. It's kind of sexist.

I don't get why people are saying she's sooo attractive, but that's a whole other can of worms.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s a perfect example,  which precisely backs up my point, given that at least 2 major reviewers pointed out that Hemsworth really doesn’t look like a scientist because he’s just too hot. So thanks for helping me out.. even inadvertently.

Wow. A whole *two* reviewers. 

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

I don't get why people are saying she's sooo attractive, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Clearly Netflix knows she’s attractive given they’ve put her on the front of all of their promo material 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Clearly Netflix knows she’s attractive given they’ve put her on the front of all of their promo material 

So , basically, she makes you want to wank but she's supposed to be smart which makes you not want to wank. Got it.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Really? They figured that out did they? A blind man living under a rock in a cave on the moon knows she's attractive. 

And "all the promo material". Including Liam Cunningham's character poster? I dunno...

it is quite strange, one has to admit, that so called "hot men" can play characters without having their looks distract anyone. Like, according to The Departed the entire Boston police force is filled with male models. Is it possible, maybe, that Hollywood has been selling us sex symbols this entire time? Whoa... 

Just now, Relic said:

it is quite strange, one has to admit, that so called "hot men" can play characters without having their looks distract anyone. Like, according to The Departed the entire Boston police force is filled with male models. Is it possible, maybe, that Hollywood has been selling us sex symbols this entire time? Whoa... 

I'm pretty sure there is a big difference in the appearance of Departed DiCaprio and Titanic DiCaprio. He at least had the sense to dress down a bit for the role and cut his hair.

I think it's a bit insulting this suggestion that it's more unlikely for scientists to be attractive. I also think it doesn't align with reality in my experience.

Of all the criticisms of this adaptation, this one seems bizarre to me.

She's not just a scientist though, she's the scientist that left pure theoretical research to pursue venture capital and start her own company, and someone doing that does have to worry about how they are presenting themselves because it directly impacts how much money they're able to talk people into giving them and how much control they have over it - and the character clearly managed to wrangle a lot of control. Instead of immediately declaring it a problem, the fact she's not investing all her time in just the science is actually part of her characterisation.

ETA: Whoops missed there was another page, this reply was written as at the end of page 7.

Edited by karaddin

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So is this show any good? I just watched the intro with the Cultural Revolution scene, and that is how far I got into the book, too. I still haven't forgiven D&D for how they treated GoT.

IMO yes - and I didn't expect that, given (a) I loved the trilogy, (b) I loved the 30-hour Tencent show and (c) D&D.

Regarding D&D, you should maybe consider the quality of Game of Thrones series ONE, when they stayed close to the source material. If the analogy holds, and we get 3-4 series of Three-Body Problem, we'll be in for a treat. Presumably they won't go beyond the canonical trilogy and make up stuff [and if you know how the books finish, that's hardly likely].

One key difference, for me, is that in ASOIAF GRRM gives us some of the most compelling characters in modern literature. All D&D had to do was stick to the books, which as I say, they did for the first few series. Cixin Liu, in contrast, is not great in developing his characters. What D&D have done is invent new characters (taking the setting out of China and planting them in England). Neither the characters in the first book nor this first series can hold a candle to those in Game of Thrones (book or show).

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So is this show any good? I just watched the intro with the Cultural Revolution scene, and that is how far I got into the book, too. I still haven't forgiven D&D for how they treated GoT.

Ehr muh Gehrd.

Yes. IMO, it's worth watching. I hope it gets renewed for a second season. 

Speaking of which, It opened as the number 1 show in Canada, then fell off for about a week because of 'Testament: Something Something Moses', and now that Christ is risen, 3BP is back to #1. Same for the USA I think.

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Ehr muh Gehrd.

Yes. IMO, it's worth watching. I hope it gets renewed for a second season. 

Speaking of which, It opened as the number 1 show in Canada, then fell off for about a week because of 'Testament: Something Something Moses', and now that Christ is risen, 3BP is back to #1. Same for the USA I think.

The original Three-Body Problem: Father, Son and Holy Ghost.