3 Body Problem (Show Spoilers Only)

IFR

14 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I saw people speculating 

Hide contents

that the San-Ti claim to not understand deception and dishonesty is in fact deception itself and they understand perfectly fine, but its useful for humans to think they can't, this included the argument that the game itself doesn't really make sense for a people that don't understand the concept of dishonesty. Not sure I buy that argument on its own, but it does fit their behaviour as a whole. This included some theorizing that might be based on book spoilers or might just be based on an inference from the second name of the book (I haven't read the books so I'm assuming the latter because its better for me to think its not a spoiler even if it is), but I'll drop it in a separate spoiler box to play it safe

The...

Spoiler

...gameplay might have been designed by humans. In fact, I'm pretty sure the little girl is actually Ye Winjie's daughter as a child.  

The rest does get into book spoilers I think. 

Spoiler

The fleet and the sophons might not have been built with earth in mind. Just eventual escape. Earth was a bonus. 

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I saw people speculating 

Reveal hidden contents

that the San-Ti claim to not understand deception and dishonesty is in fact deception itself and they understand perfectly fine, but its useful for humans to think they can't, this included the argument that the game itself doesn't really make sense for a people that don't understand the concept of dishonesty. Not sure I buy that argument on its own, but it does fit their behaviour as a whole. This included some theorizing that might be based on book spoilers or might just be based on an inference from the second name of the book (I haven't read the books so I'm assuming the latter because its better for me to think its not a spoiler even if it is), but I'll drop it in a separate spoiler box to play it safe

It scans.

Spoiler

Long before the San-Ti realize Human Beings lie and effect being unnerved by said discovery, their attempt to befuddle science is more or less the cold open of the modern storyline. It's all manipulative bullshit.  

Edited by JGP

38 minutes ago, JGP said:

It scans.

Hide contents

Long before the San-Ti realize Human Beings lie and effect being unnerved by said discovery, their attempt to befuddle science is more or less the cold open of the modern storyline. It's all manipulative bullshit.  

Spoiler

Their inability to lie is a consequence of their mode of communication with each other. It's not exactly the same thing. And when they were asked how they were going to hold humanity back they spilled it. 

6 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:
  Hide contents

Their inability to lie is a consequence of their mode of communication with each other. It's not exactly the same thing. And when they were asked how they were going to hold humanity back they spilled it. 

Spoiler

I haven’t read the books, but that smells like equivocation.

The San-Ti can’t lie to each other, so what. Using the cellphones to disrupt the measurable particle impacts in the colliders is deception. 

Finally got to the end of the series. Love how Davos gets all the best lines.

Seriously, as a lover of the books and the Tencent series, I didn't expect the Netflix one to be so good. I'm sold. Full credit to D&D for getting a first series perfect, yet again.

11 hours ago, JGP said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I haven’t read the books, but that smells like equivocation.

The San-Ti can’t lie to each other, so what. Using the cellphones to disrupt the measurable particle impacts in the colliders is deception. 

Nuh uh. Communication is key. 

-

Anyone have a guess at how many seasons this series will run? I mean, depending on what they choose to expand on or add in terms of individual story lines, they could stretch this thing out a while. I don't think it's going to be a straight 1 season per book. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Nuh uh. Communication is key. 

-

Anyone have a guess at how many seasons this series will run? I mean, depending on what they choose to expand on or add in terms of individual story lines, they could stretch this thing out a while. I don't think it's going to be a straight 1 season per book. 

Relatively certain I read the showrunners are hoping for three seasons.

Considering the amount of time they spent on Will's ever so lingery lingering, it was a disappointment that

Spoiler

the entire subplot was all for shit. 

I do suspect that the aliens are going to pick up the brain in a bottle. Otherwise what was the point?

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Considering the amount of time they spent on Will's ever so lingery lingering, it was a disappointment that

Reveal hidden contents

the entire subplot was all for shit. 

I do suspect that the aliens are going to pick up the brain in a bottle. Otherwise what was the point?

Spoiler

The star

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Wut? Hit me up with them book spoilers.

Spoiler

Heck, it's BIG!!!! From imperfect memory, in a nutshell, the Chinese Sean outsmarts the aliens by coming up with a MAD-type bluff, using the coordinates of the gifted star. Basically, if the aliens threaten Earth, he will ensure both Earth and their home planet are annihilated, leaving them in the 'dark forest', facing extinction.

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Wut? Hit me up with them book spoilers.

The star is significant. Everything is significant. 

1 hour ago, House Cambodia said:
  Hide contents

Heck, it's BIG!!!! From imperfect memory, in a nutshell, the Chinese Sean outsmarts the aliens by coming up with a MAD-type bluff, using the coordinates of the gifted star. Basically, if the aliens threaten Earth, he will ensure both Earth and their home planet are annihilated, leaving them in the 'dark forest', facing extinction.

Yeah, that's not right; but that's fine. Tell him nothing

21 hours ago, JGP said:

Relatively certain I read the showrunners are hoping for three seasons.

The Chinese series was 30 episodes and effectively covered just the first book. 

The series itself covers like, a really really long time. You know how Dune's timeline is like, 40K years or so? That's asswipe moneys compared to this trilogy. 

On 3/26/2024 at 12:08 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

In fact, I'm pretty sure the little girl is actually Ye Winjie's daughter as a child.

The little girl, "Follower", is an avatar in a game. Her physical appearance is based on Ye Winjie's daughter when she was that age, but that's not the same as saying the kid in the game is her actual daughter.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The explanation made no sense at all.

I'll try and explain a bit better.

Spoiler

The Earth spends a ton of their capital trying to make a fleet of interstellar warships to stop the invasion and they are utterly obliterated with virtually no effort. Earth goes into a major panic, of course. The main hero - who has been entrusted with the theory of cosmological sociology and understands that in a universe where the only absolute you can know about another alien race is that they may want to kill you - decides to use some of the other tools they had deployed in case of alien invasion (basically wiping out the sun entirely) to do something else - broadcast a message. 

He uses the nuclear weapons around...I think Mercury?...to send out a pulsed transmission that, if seen, will precisely pinpoint a star system in an objective, clear way. He then threatens the Trisolarians with assured destruction - that if they invade the Earth he will send this message to the cosmos, resulting in the obliteration of both Earth and their world eventually. 

The reason this works is that any highly advanced civilization will potentially fear being seen, and if they see any other civilization the best course of action for them is simply to blow that star up before it can become a threat. This is the idea behind the Dark Forest - you're in a dark forest, you have a flashlight, and there are hunters all around in a similar boat. You can use your flashlight to illuminate a hunter but then ALL the hunters can see (and kill) you. His explosion message would cause the Earth to be seen clearly enough - but it would also cause Trisolar to be wiped out too. 

This is why the Trisolarians were afraid of him specifically - because this knowledge of the Dark Forest theory was the only thing that they feared. Any actual technology that the Earth could come up with would be far too primitive while the sophons controlled the science behind it. The only hope the Earth had was to effectively enlist other, more dangerous predators. 

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The explanation made no sense at all.

Spoiler

regarding the brain that was launched off course, your guess is right.  it's not the end of his story.  in the book, the aliens do pick him up and reconstitute his body.  the aliens let him talk with the people on earth, and he tries to deliver some info via some coded stories.  eventually, we force the aliens to leave by destroying our own solar system.  most of humanity perishes, but the girl the brain likes is one of the few that gets away.  she decides to head to the star that the brain gifted her, in the hopes that she'll be able to meet him there.  in the books, they aren't able to meet up due to the effects of time dilation.  i think she arrives to her star thousands of years after him, and he's long dead by the time she get's there.  i think it's possible that the show will tweak this to allow them to meet up at the end.  the two definitely have much more of a connection in the show than in the books, where they are almost just acquaintances.  

These spoiler boxes in the last day are all book spoilers not show spoilers right? Could you please precede spoiler boxes with "book spoilers" or "show spoilers" just so it's explicit? It's got me considering reading the books so I'd rather avoid concrete spoilers for now.

Edited by karaddin
Added please, it's just a request

4 hours ago, Mudguard said:
  Hide contents

regarding the brain that was launched off course, your guess is right.  it's not the end of his story.  in the book, the aliens do pick him up and reconstitute his body.  the aliens let him talk with the people on earth, and he tries to deliver some info via some coded stories.  eventually, we force the aliens to leave by destroying our own solar system.  most of humanity perishes, but the girl the brain likes is one of the few that gets away.  she decides to head to the star that the brain gifted her, in the hopes that she'll be able to meet him there.  in the books, they aren't able to meet up due to the effects of time dilation.  i think she arrives to her star thousands of years after him, and he's long dead by the time she get's there.  i think it's possible that the show will tweak this to allow them to meet up at the end.  the two definitely have much more of a connection in the show than in the books, where they are almost just acquaintances.  

Holy shit. :lol:

• IFR changed the title to 3 Body Problem (Show Spoilers Only)