International Events : How I learnt to stop worrying and love the-

- bun. Creamy luscious ones. Only way to stop my multi sensory diarrhoea. 

Elon Musk calling out India's lack of a permanent seat in the UNSC conveniently ahead of Tesla entering the country's quantum leaping multibillion dollar EV market gets echoes from US lawmakers. The incumbent far-right in power here have promised to pursue the same in their parallely timed election manifesto. A series of coincidences indeed. Further ugly capitalism ripping wider the economic divide, one guy if not the other.

But a permanent seat with veto powers cements a global superpower status that gives them a unmatchable rhetoric for future returns to virtually unopposed absolute power. 

And it's not if any meaningful consensus is being reached now with the existing Farcical Five having no sway over conflicts and crises either by choice or inability coz veto. One more disagreeing member with own agenda not much of a difference (Sinister Six then). Till its democratic framework wanes like Russia. Not N.Korea levels though. Somewhere between Putin and Xi I place Modi. 

This forecast from years ago. 

Edited by TheLastWolf

Opinion  The unspoken story of why Israel didn’t clobber Iran
By David Ignatius
Columnist
|April 19, 2024 at 7:10 p.m. EDT

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/19/israel-iran-retaliate-diplomacy/

.... Here’s my take: Israel is behaving like the leader of a regional coalition against Iran. In its measured response, it appeared to be weighing the interests of its allies in this coalition — Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan — which all provided quiet help in last weekend’s shoot-down. It’s playing the long game, in other words.

This would amount to a paradigm shift for Israel. Rather than seeing itself as the embattled Jewish state fighting alone for its survival against a phalanx of Arab and Muslim enemies, Israel knows that it has allies. Top of the list, as always, is the United States. But America is joined by Arab states that oppose Iran and its proxies as much as the Israelis do.

That’s the new shape of the Middle East. But for now, at least, this ripening friendship between Israel and its former adversaries in the region must remain unspoken. ....

Also, um muted response in exchange for the US vetoing the UN resolution for Palestinian statehood?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/18/middleeast/us-united-nations-resolution-palestine-membership-intl/index.html

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Also, um muted response in exchange for the US vetoing the UN resolution for Palestinian statehood?

Did anyone expect the US not to veto it? 

23 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Did anyone expect the US not to veto it? 

Since the Biden administration and its spokespeople have been talking up the two state solution again, one might will have thought so.  But then Israel bombed Iran in Syria and Iran retaliated so, "That put an end to that!" crowed Bibi&ilks, who have always been opposed to that.

P.S. check your Private Messages! Sent you something from the LRB.

Edited by Zorral

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Since the Biden administration and its spokespeople have been talking up the two state solution again, one might will have thought so.  But then Israel bombed Iran in Syria and Iran retaliated so, "That put an end to that!" crowed Bibi&ilks, who have always been opposed to that.

I know, it’s utterly depressing. But not unlike saying “civilians must be protected” while sending munitions nonstop. 

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

P.S. check your Private Messages! Sent you something from the LRB.

Will do but I got no notifications! 

42 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I know, it’s utterly depressing. But not unlike saying “civilians must be protected” while sending munitions nonstop. 

Will do but I got no notifications! 

How, strange!  It's a new chat, titled "I Was Only Following Orders"

Edited by Zorral

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

How, strange!  It's a new chat, titled "I Was Only Following Orders"

Maybe it went to someone else w/ a similar username? I defo haven’t got it! 

It definitely went to kissedbyfire.  I just checked again.

Wanna send me a pm and see what happens?

I did erase all the messages of the previous chat.  Maybe that's the reason?  Are we to have only a single chat between two people at any time?  This is a new one, as said, "I Was Only Following Orders."

YAY! Thanks to you, we got that cleared up!  I cannot believe in all this time I had not noticed!

Edited by Zorral

US satellite photos now show that the radar control system for Isfahan's S-300/400 defence complex has been levelled. The Israeli attack did succeed in destroying the target as claimed.

Edited by Werthead

The War Games of Israel and Iran
While Netanyahu and the Islamic Republic exchange ballistic “messages,” the question of Palestine demands the moral and strategic courage of actual statesmen.
By David Remnick

Ihttps://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-war-games-of-israel-and-iran

.... There is no way to know whether another volley will be coming in the short term, but what is clear is that the decades-long shadow war between Israel and the Islamic Republic of Iran is no longer confined to the shadows. A line was crossed when Israel carried out a lethal air strike on Mohammad Reza Zahedi, a leading commander in Iran’s Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, and six of his associates, who were meeting in a consular building in Damascus. That strike, as precise as it was deadly, was followed by Iran’s massive launch of drones and ballistic missiles on Israeli territory—an attack that was thoroughly repelled by a coördinated effort involving Israel, the United States, Britain, Jordan, the U.A.E., and Saudi Arabia. ....

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The War Games of Israel and Iran
While Netanyahu and the Islamic Republic exchange ballistic “messages,” the question of Palestine demands the moral and strategic courage of actual statesmen.
By David Remnick

Ihttps://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-war-games-of-israel-and-iran

This not in the shadow anymore war games are definitely concerning. 

Others might be concerned about other things as well...

Israel’s Channel 12 revealed that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu fears that the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague will issue orders to arrest him and other officials due to violations in the war on Gaza.

The channel revealed that an urgent discussion took place on Tuesday at the Prime Minister’s Office that has remained confidential until now, in which worrying scenarios and serious concerns emerged that would allow the issuance of international arrest warrants from ICC in The Hague against senior Israeli officials, security leaders and politicians, including Netanyahu himself.

It reported that the highest political and legal elite in Israel were present at the discussion.

The Israeli channel noted that the reason for issuing international arrest warrants was the war in Gaza.

The channel confirmed that Netanyahu asked the British and German foreign ministers during their visit to Israel to intervene to prevent the issuance of arrest warrants by the ICC.

It explained that Tel Aviv has obtained information and messages indicating the possibility of such orders being issued on a large scale and that they may be issued at the end of next month.

Channel 12 reported that the discussions raised the issue of the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip and the statements made by several countries that Israel is violating international law, as well as treating the civilian population in the Gaza Strip in a manner that violates the Fourth Geneva Convention.

At the end of the discussion, a decision was made to take some last-minute urgent measures with the ICC and influential political parties to prevent the issuance of arrest warrants.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20240420-israel-media-netanyahu-fears-arrest-warrants-requests-assistance-from-uk-germany/

17 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Which is very interesting as well in light of the further comments from Remnick's NYer piece linked to above: "what at he values most—his own future, his intense desire to stay in office and out of court ..."

.... “It is true: the Israeli government has no interest in ending the war in Gaza anytime soon, much less in declaring the revival of the peace process,” Aluf Benn, the editor of Haaretz, told me. “But what’s also important to notice is that no one—not the Sunni Arab powers, not the West, not even Iran itself—was trying to extract anything from Israel on the question of Gaza and the Palestinians. The Arab states did not condition their participation in the regional air defenses on a withdrawal from Gaza or any other Palestinian demand. Neither did Iran. The same is true of Biden. It was totally de-linked from the Palestinian issue. None of them said, ‘We won’t defend you unless you withdraw from Gaza or release Palestinians from prisons.’ Based on what we know now, no one tried to extract anything from Israel.” ....

... For them, the deaths of thirty-three thousand Gazans is insufficient, thousands short of “complete victory.” Indeed, many in Ben-Gvir’s camp have talked openly about reëstablishing Jewish settlements in Gaza and evicting Palestinians entirely.

Sadly, if predictably, the Netanyahu government seems not to have considered a more strategic and morally courageous path, one built upon its impressive deflection of Iran’s massive drone attack with the following goals in mind: a ceasefire in Gaza; a settlement regarding the Lebanon border; the return of the Israeli hostages; additional agreements and alliances with the Sunni Arab states; and forward movement, despite everything, toward a secure and just arrangement with the Palestinians. 

That kind of political will or imagination is not only beyond Netanyahu. It does not take into account what he values most—his own future, his intense desire to stay in office and out of court ...

45 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

This not in the shadow anymore war games are definitely concerning. 

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20240420-israel-media-netanyahu-fears-arrest-warrants-requests-assistance-from-uk-germany/

I don't think I've ever heard anything so ridiculous. Not a chance Bibi gets his collar felt on British soil.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

US satellite photos now show that the radar control system for Isfahan's S-300/400 defence complex has been levelled. The Israeli attack did succeed in destroying the target as claimed.

Not convinced.  First, why should I believe a Twitter post from AbuAliEnglish?  Never heard of the guy, and as a general rule, I don't take anything from Twitter as factual.  There's way too much misinformation on Twitter.  He also cites a Saudi blogger for this photo, but doesn't provide a link to the original source.

The after photo is heavily photoshopped, with dramatically different level changes.  Show us an image with similar color and light dark levels.

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Had just read that this morning. Is anyone surprised? I know I'm not at all. 

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Nor will they ever. 

Indeed. 

23 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Not convinced.  First, why should I believe a Twitter post from AbuAliEnglish?  Never heard of the guy, and as a general rule, I don't take anything from Twitter as factual.  There's way too much misinformation on Twitter.  He also cites a Saudi blogger for this photo, but doesn't provide a link to the original source.

The after photo is heavily photoshopped, with dramatically different level changes.  Show us an image with similar color and light dark levels.

I agree that being sceptical is a healthy attitude on today's internet, but I consider AP to be a reputable source:

https://apnews.com/article/iran-israel-s300-radar-hit-isfahan-attack-ce6719d3df8ebf5af08b035427ee215c

Plus, if you want to verify for yourself, you can always purchase a Planet Labs subscription and go right to the source.