Where to next?

LacyinTX

Well, it's pretty clear that George modeled a lot of Qarthan cuisine on the cuisine of ancient Rome. Thing is, the honey-roasted mice that the Romans were so fond of weren't actually mice, they were a specific subspecies of dormice (glis glis), 'farm'-raised -- and a dormouse is closer to a squirrel than a mouse in many respects.

Glis glis is hard to come by in North America, but I could substitute either squirrel or rabbit for them in the recipe.

Well really. Of all of the fashions from Qarth he could pick up, I'd far rather have him in a beaded silk shirt than anything else. Just imagine what he could show off if he wore warlock robes. :leaving:

No, no, no--I do NOT want to imagine that! :stunned:

Hearing about his 2x4 was MORE than enough, thankyouverymuch!

On to a much nicer topic: the clothes! :)

I think I may finally have an excuse to wear the new silk dress I got for Christmas! Granted, it doesn't exactly scream "Quarth," or toga for that matter, but it should work nicely. Woo-hoo!

Well, it's pretty clear that George modeled a lot of Qarthan cuisine on the cuisine of ancient Rome. Thing is, the honey-roasted mice that the Romans were so fond of weren't actually mice, they were a specific subspecies of dormice (glis glis), 'farm'-raised -- and a dormouse is closer to a squirrel than a mouse in many respects.

Glis glis is hard to come by in North America, but I could substitute either squirrel or rabbit for them in the recipe.

I have a book on Ancient Roman cuisine ("Roman Cookery: Ancient Recipes for Modern Kitchens").

It has a recipe for "Hare in Sweet Sauce" (Lepores), but they use a white dessert wine ("the sweetest you can find") instead of honey. Also contains black pepper, cumin, ginger, costmary (mint can be substituted), bay leaves and salt. And olive oil. Basically you marinate the rabbit in the wine and spiced overnight, then sear it in olive oil, put it back in the marinade in a casserole dish and roast at 350 F for 1 1/2 hours.

The book has lots of other recipes too, including many for snacks that people would eat in cauponae (wine bars) while drinking (like tapas, I think).

Soup's pretty easy. Either go the western squash soup route or, my preference, the chinese curried persimmon puree route. Throw in some pureed shrimp and some coconut milk and I think we have a winner.

Query: Based on the amount of drinking done, don't you guys actually ever consider what's coming back up when you're deciding what to put in...? :P

FWIW,

GRRM appears to be up for an evening at a local barbeque joint somewhere close to Raleigh/Durham during Trinoc-con (August 3-5.) If no one objects I'm going to check into where we (those who choose to join us) should go to eat. Hope lots of people come to NC in August.

Upon thinking about this there is another possibility and a slight snag. Most Barbeque places in North and South Carolina are "family" establishments that don't serve beer or other alcoholic beverages. However, they do take out, frequently in very large quantities. I would be willing to transport such take out to the con and party location if there is enough interest, that way we can imbibe freely while consuming our chopped pork sandwiches (I can even bring a variety of different "sauces" for those sandwichs so the true variety of barbeque can be appreciated.)

:)

[ETA] For the daring (and me) I could bring a tray of pork "hash" and rice. It's wonderful, just don't ask what's in it.

I have a book on Ancient Roman cuisine ("Roman Cookery: Ancient Recipes for Modern Kitchens").

The book has lots of other recipes too, including many for snacks that people would eat in cauponae (wine bars) while drinking (like tapas, I think).

I think I might have this too...I have lots of such books and am pretty sure this is one of them

*makes note to check the cookbooks*

Stego,

We've got a teeny, tiny, baby at home (he'll still be pretty small for Saratoga.) I can justify a quick trip to Raleigh for the weekend. I can't justify a long trip to New York, although I would like to come. I've never been to upstate New York. I hear it's beautiful.

Besides, the barbeque would be really cold by the time I got it to New York.

;)

Upon thinking about this there is another possibility and a slight snag. Most Barbeque places in North and South Carolina are "family" establishments that don't serve beer or other alcoholic beverages.

:lol:

Dude, we do drink sweet tea, Coke and water every now and again, too. :P I think even the battle-hardened drinkers could handle a quick booze-free detour for some fresh-outta-the-pit pulled pork. :drool:

We've got a teeny, tiny, baby at home (he'll still be pretty small for Saratoga.)

Pah! You're never too young for a Con! We just won't give him any beer.

Archived