Meet-up in Galway, 25-27 April 2008

zakalwe7

Edit 2 - Now decided on Galway, 25-27th-April

Edited to change title since Galway is looking like the most popular

Ok. Questions.

1. Copenhagen Con is next month. Then next year is Denver WorldCon which a couple of us are planning on going to. Should we look at getting something organised in between? Would you be up for it?

2. If so, when? Late this year? Early next year? Late spring?

3. Where should we have it? List the options - we can decide after. (Personal thoughts - from the last couple of years, due to the densities of Boarders - the UK and Eire have worked best. I am not adverse to going elsewhere but it would need commitment and I'm as guilty as anyone of failing to make these)

4. Any other comments

Next year is also Semana Negra in Gijon, Asturias, Spain. Linda and I are almost certainly going there, anyways, as (currently) we don't think Denver is of any particular interest. Sounds like a terrific time -- some ten days of partying (and genre fiction celebration).

Yes, its only a pity that Gijon and Denver are occuring so close to one another timewise, so for most people it'll be a choice between the 2. So yes, something between Copenhagen and Gijon/Denver makes sense. :)

Otherwise I don't mind on the where/when.

Well, Denver is next August, so I'd suggest maybe April or May. As for where, obviously somewhere in the UK would be easier for me, but if it's easy to get there I'm not too bothered about going abroad.

Well, Denver is next August, so I'd suggest maybe April or May. As for where, obviously somewhere in the UK would be easier for me, but if it's easy to get there I'm not too bothered about going abroad.

Have been thinking about this over the last few weeks and I think we should definitely have a get together before Denver. I'm shagged as far as leave is concerned for the rest of this year, so for me it would have to be early next year. How about Feb or march.

As for location, I'm really not too fussed, as long as it's fairly cheap to get to.

I did kinda champion York last time, so that might be an idea but I was also thinking along the lines of Galway in the west of Ireland.

It's a student town so there are a few decent hostels, plenty of great pubs and its also very big on music over there. I have always thought it a great location for a bwb meet, also Ser Mel T and Wert are there, so they could show us about a bit (not trying to force organising upon you, just a bit of local knowledge), plus I could visit me mammy!! :)

Flights are cheap via ryanair into knock but there is the problem of getting to Galway from the airport but I'm sure they run buses.

Anyway, just an idea.

Yeah, Ireland or UK seem to be the best places to go simply because of how many of us there are about in these locations. As for where in these localities, I'm not fussed. (Can't be arsed to champion Brum - too much like hard work ;) )

I think April more than May, simply so that there's a longer run up to Denvention in which to get my finances sorted.

N

I'm very much in favour of a meeting since I probably can't make either of the 'official' options :)

UK/Eire is very fine with me. Personally I am in favour of everywhere that is does not involve flying to London Stansted, but that's probably just me :)

Galway sounds fine to me. I'm also okay with other UK alternatives - it's that far away now that there is time for planning travel etc. Of course, whether I can make certain dates will ultimately depend on what I have going on at uni at the time.

While Galway is a very nice small city, the problem will be getting there for non Irish/UK people. Galway itself has an airport but it only takes smallish planes. Although they do at least fly to a lot of UK cities. There is a list of destinations on that site.

Then as mentioned, one can fly to Knock (and Knock only serves UK destinations also but you'd probably get cheaper prices) but it looks like getting to Galway would be difficult by bus. No direct service. :thumbsdown:

Probably the easiest way to get to Galway would be to fly to Shannon Airport and then take a 2 hour bus ride to the city. Shannon would have more services than the other 2 airports and some continental European services also. Dublin Airport is a 4 hour bus ride away.

So not easy it seems...

If we're going for somewhere it's cheap to get to, may I suggest Bergen? OK, it might only be cheap for me, but...

Galloway sounds interresting, but how easy is it to get there? What's the closest airport?

Galloway is a very nice town despite its support for Saddam Hussein ;)

We're still finding our feet in Galway and I haven't properly checked out the city yet. But yes, it's looking good for a BwB meet. There are two hotels very close to us. The Marriott is €120 for two adults sharing two double beds. Not sure about the Days but we can check that out. There are more hostels in the city centre. There are nightclubs and restaurants aplenty and we should be able to put some people up as well if people are up for it.

For transport, Knock is a 1-1.5 hour car ride away, more by bus. Shannon is slightly closer. However, public transport in Ireland is a bit dubious, or indeed non-existent, outside the major cities. The most efficient method may be to fly to Dublin and then take a train to Galway, which is about 3 hours away. I'll check up on train times, as I think there may only be 3-4 trains a day. Those willing to hardcore the drive may also be interested in the ferry, which depending on the time of year is very competitive with flight charges. However, the shutting down of the express ferry (which took 1 hour to do the crossing) in favour of the 4-hour slow ferry will probably dissuade people from that option. The Irish Sea can be extremely rough at times :ack:

Otherwise, Cardiff is a great city for a meet-up as well and I'd probably vote for that over York (great as that is as well).

Looks like Luton would be the best bet for those of us going from London-Galway. I don't want to be arsing around with multiple flights if I can help it. Not that we can do anything until the dates are settled.

Archived