Mistborn

Relic

i've finished the final empire, and am reading the well of ascension.

at the moment, i'm at the part when

marsh and sazed are at that inquisitors convent or whatever it's called in english. i liked that brief insight in inquisitors' life. hope there are more to come :)

it's a trilogy written by brandon sanderson.

i'm maybe a quarter of the way in the second book and i quite like it.

some don't like the author's style of writing but i enjoy it.

the magic system is very interesting and refreshing.

in the end, you will probably have to try the first book and see for yourself if you like it or not ;)

• 1 month later...

i'm approaching the end of the third book.

one thing that doesn't make sense to me is

how vin suddenly could use her powers on inquisitors' spikes after we've repeatedly been told that it is impossible to do it

have i missed anything or is it an inconsistency in the story?

She probably just upped her game ;)

I kind of wish Mistborn had been just the first novel, because I really liked the feel of it but was pretty unmoved by the second and third book.

I liked the way the third book ended. I thought it was an original ending that really caught me by surprise.

i'm approaching the end of the third book.

one thing that doesn't make sense to me is

how vin suddenly could use her powers on inquisitors' spikes after we've repeatedly been told that it is impossible to do it

have i missed anything or is it an inconsistency in the story?

Can't remember what it's called but she found a new metal that magnifies whatever she's burning at the time. She's able to do everything much more powerfully now, but only for a short period of time.

Can't remember what it's called but she found a new metal that magnifies whatever she's burning at the time. She's able to do everything much more powerfully now, but only for a short period of time.

duraluminium or something like that. i don't know if that should be translated somehow differently.

still, even with that, she shouldn't be able to do it, since the whole point with inquisitors' spikes (and similar stuff) is that it's piercing the body and as such is immune to mistlings' and mistborns' powers.

oh, well... i guess there's a chance it's explained in the last 80-100 pages of the book.

I liked the way the third book ended. I thought it was an original ending that really caught me by surprise.

If you think about it, it was much of it was set up in the first and second book. It is one of the few (aSoIaF being another) that I was completely fooled by. Not only did I go in the wrong directions, I completely missed the real hints about the ending.

It's been ages since I read the books, but doesn't it have something to do with her (possibly from the last 80-100 pages)

earring?

ETA: it was bothering me so I looked it up here

so she can draw power from the mists themselves, but her earring inhibits that power because of the metal piercing her flesh.

@Black Wolf Smith:

yeah, all the hints were right there, we just chose to ignore/misinterpret them

@RedEyedGhost:

yeah, i've finished the book and have found out about it.

when i think of it, she did use her power on lord ruler's bracelets that pierced his flesh, so the earring must be the reason. metal piercing one's flesh would cause them to not be able to use their powers on metal piercing someone else's flesh

My only complaint on Mistborn is the world feels small.

Otherwise the character development is good, the plot is great and the twists that come towards the end of each book are excellent. Sanderson really keeps you on your toes until you finish the book.

• 5 months later...

The next book, currently titled Shadows of Self, is tentatively set for release in the fall of 2014, with the third novel in the Wax & Wayne series following one year later.

The man is a machine. Words of Radiance early in the year and another Wax/Wayne later in the year?!!? :stunned:

I liked Alloy of Law well enough and thought it had some nice play of steampunk era technology with the Allomancy of the world. It was pretty obviously setting up for a sequel though.

The man is a machine. Words of Radiance early in the year and another Wax/Wayne later in the year?!!? :stunned:

I liked Alloy of Law well enough and thought it had some nice play of steampunk era technology with the Allomancy of the world. It was pretty obviously setting up for a sequel though.

I've enjoyed what I've read of Sanderson (Mistborn included) but for some reason I have no desire to read either of those two. I think it is better left as it is.

Archived