Another Con in the Southeast

I called the hotel from last year and the con is not booked there. The lady did not know which hotel they were using.

eta: I did e-mail them to ask about the hotel and registration information. I can't help but think there should be a different website, but I have googled it again and only found this one

Didn't realize this thread had been bumped too. Anyhow, FCL & I are still probable/maybe for this one.

I'll use my Summon Sister spell to see if I can get her to post in the thread. :P

Didn't realize this thread had been bumped too. Anyhow, FCL & I are still probable/maybe for this one.

I'll use my Summon Sister spell to see if I can get her to post in the thread. :P

I sensed that I was summoned.

I would love to attend this! I kinda go where Angie takes me for board stuff, so if she is in, I am (more likely than not........assuming I can get someone to watch those bad bad kids of mine) in. :D

And I am not even going to mention how last time I went to a board thing and got home and sent a couple of PM's to a couple of people who never responded to them and made me feel like a big stupid loser. :(

~fingers crossed that I will see a couple of Dornish Princes~ ;)

funny thing is the google blurb even mentions preregistering, but that is not on the website either. Hopefully they will e-mail me soon. I e-mailed from work so I have to wait until there to check.

That's very weird. If you don't get a response in the next couple of days Lany, you should consider emailing Parris. She might come across this thread in the next couple of days anyhow. But no hotel and the website was last updated in August? For a con that is on in around 2.5 months, thats very disorganised IMO. (Cons don't have programs until just before the event but they normally know where the event is on a long way before hand!)

I would imagine that she and GRRM would like to know if things remain as they are. Or maybe they'll have info about the organisation since GRRM is supposed to be GoH.

I emailed the Con and this is what I heard back:

"Yes, the con is still on as of this moment. Facilities has had a very rough year and we should be confirming final information on the location/hotel in the next week or two."

That was all, but I guess it's something.

Thanks. I'm still waiting to hear, but I guess it will be the same.

just a little bit scary though, all things considered.

yeah...that would likely be better. :dunno:

i've driven much further...i was hoping it'd be closer, nonetheless.

Roanoke is not far from Blacksburg... 15 min maybe? Roanoke flies to two locations: Atlanta and Charlotte. If Atlanta is close to you it may be worth it. I don't know if I'm going to go or not, but my parents live about an hour from there... might be able to make a visit out of it.

So, where would I fly into to get there? I'm coming from Sacramento so I figure I need a major airport. Is DC the closest?

Well, there's definately not going to be anything direct to Roanoke from Sacramento. If you're going to fly to Roanoke you have to go through either Atlanta (Delta) or Charlotte (US Air).

If you want to just fly direct somewhere and then drive to Blacksburg then your best bets are DC, Greensboro, or Charlotte.

Greensboro is probably the shortest distance, but I don't know if you can go there direct from Sacramento. Also keep in mind that DC, is probably a good 3 1/2 - 4 hr drive from Blacksburg, longer if it's BWI and not Dulles.

Technicon updated their website:

"17 January 2008: Still Alive! Yes, we're still alive, and we intend to have some more information for you loyal and curious attendees in less than a week. We know you have burning questions, and we're working on getting you answers. First off, the convention will be held on the Virginia Tech campus, which is a bit different than what we've been doing for the last few years. We're working on talking to hotels and setting up room blocks, more information will be posted here when we get it. Stay tuned! "

Good News...hopefully. There is a board set up for the con and someone was complaining that they had tried to make reservations at several hotels in the area and they were all booked up. I haven't verified the claims though. I was waiting to see what plans the con committee made.

I did drop a line to Parris and let her know what was going on.

Looks like hotel info is up now. I know nothing about the area so I'll have to look into how far the hotel is from the site. I also don't know anything about the "main hotel" chain mentioned. I've heard of it, but that's about it.

That's pretty cheap. I'm thinking of getting a suite if I go that we can hang out in, though the suite sounds pretty small if it's just one queen bed and a sofa.

Anyone see where we can purchase a membership? I clicked through the site pretty fast but couldn't find one.

That's pretty cheap. I'm thinking of getting a suite if I go that we can hang out in, though the suite sounds pretty small if it's just one queen bed and a sofa.

Anyone see where we can purchase a membership? I clicked through the site pretty fast but couldn't find one.

wow, those really are cheap rooms.

I have to see what my plans are. I am still not sure that I won't be going to Boston, but with those room prices I might be able to do both.

Archived