Another Con in the Southeast

Shewoman,

I'm going to register when I get there. I don't think pre-registration is a requirement.

BTW here's an updated list of attendies:

Ser Scot

LugaJetBoyGirl

Angie

FitzChaterly's Lover

Jon Targaryen

Eponine R

S. John

Padraig ??

Shewoman

Tempra

Earendil (I don't know how to do an umlaut, sorry)

Jagged

Anybody else planning on coming please let me know. Not a bad group for a small con.

[ETA] That's 12 who else is coming?

I'm definitely coming for the entirety of Technicon. I'm a newb on the board and I don't know anyone here personally. Nonetheless, looking forward to meeting some of you! I have reservations and will be attending with some college friends who are inspiring young writers-to-be; exposed to Martin of course by yours truly. Hope to plan a dinner with you folks somewhere!

I'm definitely coming for the entirety of Technicon. I'm a newb on the board and I don't know anyone here personally. Nonetheless, looking forward to meeting some of you! I have reservations and will be attending with some college friends who are inspiring young writers-to-be; exposed to Martin of course by yours truly. Hope to plan a dinner with you folks somewhere!

You have reservations at a hotel or about meeting some of us? :P

I still need a roommate. if you are interested PM me. or if any one else is interested.

Well, I got all my ducks in order. I'll be flying into Greensboro arriving at 10am on the 28th. I guess I'll just explore the campus until I check into my hotel in Christiansburg. Any recs on what to see until I can check in or the con starts?

Hmmm, I might be attending. I guess I should see what the drive would be like. I live like 10 mins away from Dulles Int airport.

Just asked D and she says she's cool with it. :)

She also said she didn't know she was signing up for this but that she should have known. :) She's doomed to be a sci-fi/fantasy geek even though she knows nothing about it.

Is there any type of schedule yet? I looked at the website and it doesn't seem very well put together. I'm only interested in being at the GRRM parts.

Jon Targ and anyone else in on Friday, would you like to meet for lunch if nothing else is scheduled then?

Jon Targ and anyone else in on Friday, would you like to meet for lunch if nothing else is scheduled then?

Sure. Usually at the small cons they don't have anything really starting till around 3:00pm on Friday, at least from my limited experience. Lunch sounds good. I don't know the driving time from Greensboro to Blacksburg though. Whatever time I would typically arrive, I'm down to eat then.

I'm not sure if we'll be heading down sometime Friday or early Saturday morning. If we head out midday on Friday we should be there around 5-ish I'd imagine. Saturday morning would put us there around lunch on Saturday. If we wait until after work on Friday we'd likely get there sometime around 3pm on Sunday considering Friday rush hour on 66.

I'm not sure if we'll be heading down sometime Friday or early Saturday morning. If we head out midday on Friday we should be there around 5-ish I'd imagine. Saturday morning would put us there around lunch on Saturday. If we wait until after work on Friday we'd likely get there sometime around 3pm on Sunday considering Friday rush hour on 66.

Yeah, leaving on Friday after work isn't really an option for me as I would have to pick up my friend at the Metro and then drive back on 66 during rush hour...this just to get there around 11 or 12 at night.

Well, I got all my ducks in order. I'll be flying into Greensboro arriving at 10am on the 28th. I guess I'll just explore the campus until I check into my hotel in Christiansburg. Any recs on what to see until I can check in or the con starts?

Depends on what you want to check out. The National D-Day Memorial is pretty cool, that's in Bedford about an hour-ish east of Christiansburg. Could also check out the Peaks of Otter just a bit past that. I attended High School in that area. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs nearby, so if you're down for a drive that might be good. There's other stuff, but that's what immediately comes to mind.

As for me, I still don't know if I can make it. My roommates and I will be moving on the 29th unless our new landlord allows us to move our stuff in sooner. Either way I can make a last minute decision. Even though it's around a 4 hour drive from the DC area, my parents live nearby so no lodging issues.

To those that have already paid for their registration, how long before you could pay through e-mail or whatever it is they have set up? I think it's been about three days for me and I haven't got anything yet.

As long as you submitted online registration before the 14th, you should be contacted before the event by email. In the past, they have been good about removing "supporting memberships" when they were filled, though when I checked their site, they had not updated it yet. If you don't hear anything by Monday, I would definitely send them an email.

So, it looks like i am going to be able to make it for saturday. Does anyone know if GRRM will be signing books that day? And since i've never been to a con before, i have to ask if its ok to bring 2-3 books to get signed. Don't want to be breaking all kinds of etiquette and what not :)

Archived