Another Con in the Southeast

So, it looks like i am going to be able to make it for saturday. Does anyone know if GRRM will be signing books that day? And since i've never been to a con before, i have to ask if its ok to bring 2-3 books to get signed. Don't want to be breaking all kinds of etiquette and what not :)

Hi Tempra, I think GRRM's policy is to sign no more than 3 books per person. So 3 should be okay. I'll be bringing three as well.

Okay, so I finally got around to reserving my room. The 'Con hotel' is sold out, so I have to pay a million dollars more to stay at the ramada inn, just down the street from the con. My room has two double beds, so if anyone wants to share a room, PM me. The room is 65 bucks a night, so I'd love to split the cost with anyone. I'll be coming in on Thursday morning (I'm giving a public lecture at Virginia tech on Thursday afternoon if anyone is bored) and I am leaving on Sunday.

Yay Blacksburg!! Hokie hokie high, tech tech VPI!!!!! Etc etc.

If you preregistered online by March 14th, you should be receiving an email today (03/21/08) or Monday about payment. I was notified earlier today by email and was able to submit my payment online. Be sure to print off your confirmation to show the registration desk in case there is a mess up. You don't want to miss the special events and luncheon with GRRM!

Sooooo, is there going to be a party or dinner on Saturday night? I say yes. If we can go out with George that would be great but if not then we should still do something. I don't have a room at the con Hotel but we could use mine for the Party if you want. It's about half a mile from the Con hotel. I plan on bringing some beer and maybe some stuff to make Red Headed Sluts. I'll be getting into town at around 10 or 11am on Saturday.

Anyone else Game?

Sooooo, is there going to be a party or dinner on Saturday night? I say yes. If we can go out with George that would be great but if not then we should still do something. I don't have a room at the con Hotel but we could use mine for the Party if you want. It's about half a mile from the Con hotel. I plan on bringing some beer and maybe some stuff to make Red Headed Sluts. I'll be getting into town at around 10 or 11am on Saturday.

Anyone else Game?

I'm down with dinner. For the party, I usually check out the con parties if there are any. I'm cool with retiring to someone's off-site suite for an after-party.

I wasn't sure for the past couple of weeks but I do still plan to still get to this con. I booked a room in the con hotel (the Microtel right?) a couple months back for Friday and Saturday night, although I can't remember what kind of room it was. I can ring them again and see if people are short a bed. Or feel free to use it for any party.

Anyhow, how do people expect to hook up on Friday night?

My sister now says she's not going to be able to go - not surprising for anyone who knows her BWB attendance record. :P

As a result, I'm downgrading myself to a "possible" while I see if I can convince my husband to let me drag him along.

My sister now says she's not going to be able to go - not surprising for anyone who knows her BWB attendance record. :P

As a result, I'm downgrading myself to a "possible" while I see if I can convince my husband to let me drag him along.

Just for the record, I am aware that nobody is sitting on pins and needles waiting to see my posts, but I like to comment when my sister mentions me. :)

I really *really* wanted to go to this, especially after the last one was so fun and everyone was so cool, but I have 2 little ones and there is just no way this time. I hope everyone has the best time *ever*, or at least what will pass for a decent time without me there. :P

I'm still on for Saturday. Does anyone know what time the Con starts events on Saturday? I haven't been able to find a schedule on line.

This has annoyed me to no end. But it's finally up!! Looks like there should be some good GRRM events too, although in general the programming isn't that great.

There is an Hour with GRRM on Friday at 7pm. Gag, it's in McBryde 100. I have terrible memories of that place. One of them is really shocking too, so make sure you ask me to tell the story when we are together.

But anyways, maybe those of us in town should all meet up somewhere at 5:30 or 6pm? That way we can be nerds and sit together during the special Hour o'Grrm. If anyone is interested let me know and we can pick a place to meet.

There is an Hour with GRRM on Friday at 7pm. Gag, it's in McBryde 100.

But anyways, maybe those of us in town should all meet up somewhere at 5:30 or 6pm? That way we can be nerds and sit together during the special Hour o'Grrm. If anyone is interested let me know and we can pick a place to meet.

This sounds like a game plan. I'll message you my number. I'll have a few friends with me. We should all let Martin know his banner-less supporters are present. :cheers:

http://www.technicon.org/tcon25/schedule.php

Events with Martin:

An Hour with George RR Martin

19:00-20:00, Main Programming (100)

How To Get Started Writing Fiction

20:00-21:00, Panels B (202)

A panel with George RR Martin and Tiffany Trent.

Anti-Protagonists With George RR Martin

10:30-11:30, Main Programming (100)

A discussion about Anti-Heroes, Anti-Villains and everything in between, from an expert.

Character Abuse

16:00-17:00, Main Programming (100)

A discussion of abusing one's characters with George RR Martin and Ursula Vernon.

A Reading From 'A Dance With Dragons'

11:00-12:00, Main Programming (100)

A reading from George RR Martin's upcoming fifth book in the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.

This sounds like a game plan. I'll message you my number. I'll have a few friends with me. We should all let Martin know his banner-less supporters are present. :cheers:

That idea sounds like a good idea. :) Could I get that number too? Just so I know what i'm doing!

I'd like your number too, mine is on the previous page. I think I'm having lunch with Jon Targ when he gets in on Friday and anyone else is welcome to come.

I suggest meeting at the Cellar at 5:30ish on Friday and getting some dinner and beer- it's in walking distance of McBryde- unless someone has another preference.

If anyone would like to run a 10 miler or a 5K between Saturdays events, let me know :)

I think I'm getting a camera just for the event, in case I see a real furry. I've never seen one in real life, although I imagine them to be sort of like the tomato that sometimes stands outside Fazolis. Not too sure about some of the other events- belly dancing? BDSM? If... um, some of the stereotypically nerdy folk I've seen around Tech are participating, I'd rather not see that. I should also probably ban my boyfriend from meeting any of you. He wants to know if he can dress up as Gandalf. I also might have told him about a certain incident that happened a long time ago on the board that's connected to a certain "catchphrase" that he's decided he likes using. This is all quite nervewracking for me!

I suggest meeting at the Cellar at 5:30ish on Friday and getting some dinner and beer- it's in walking distance of McBryde- unless someone has another preference.

I'm down for lunch.

And I think the Cellar is the perfect idea. Let's do that then. We should probably meet in the downstairs part.

Directions here.

Yay!

Okay, I'm coming on Friday night. I'm going to be staying with my MiL in Floyd so I'll just be there for the first Martin event then I've got to head for the barn. I'm going to be there all day on Saturday and I'm going to miss the reading on Sunday because I've got to get my daughter to a birthday party at 3:30 PM that afternoon here in Columbia. :mad:

I have an odd request. If GRRM is cool with it could I get someone's cel phone number and have them hold it up during the reading so that I can hear the reading while driving home? I'm on Verizon so if there is another boarder with a Verizon cel phone plan it shouldn't count against your minutes.

I'll try to make the meeting at "The Cellar." No promises though I'm working Friday and it's a 4 1/2 hour drive.

ETA I've IMed Parris to see if GRRM will be available for dinner on Saturday night.

Oh, one more question. Does anyone know if the registration table (I'll be registering when I arrive) will be set up at the Microtel in Christansburg or in McBryde Hall in Blacksburg?

Okay, I just had by question answered by the organizer. Registration will be in McBryde Hall on the VT campus. I plan to see you all at 5:30 PM at "the Cellar"

I'd like your number too, mine is on the previous page. I think I'm having lunch with Jon Targ when he gets in on Friday and anyone else is welcome to come.

Number is sent. Also the Cellar works for me. I will be there around 5pm. :thumbsup:

Archived