Another Con in the Southeast

He did indeed read the Jon chapter, which included a death, but we were wondering if we should spoil it in advance, since a lot of people are going to be able to read it for themselves in the magazine in just a few weeks. Perhaps a spoiler discussion should wait until after that is released?

Just an FYI my daughter and I are home safely. It was wonderful meeting y'all and seeing those I had met before again. I'm thumb typeing this but I am willing to post a spoiler blackened summary of the Jon chapter GRRM read tomorrow when I'm back in front of a real keyboard.

Personally, I think it's fine to spoil it with appropriate protections. It's not really a lot of people who are going to be able to read it, after all; relatively speaking, it will be quite few. :)

Also, in any case, the Jon chapter must not be the magazine chapter, since George noted that that one was titled

SPOILER: ADwD spoiler
"Reek"

Now I actually would like to know who died. It can't have been an important secondary character or he'd never read it - but I want to know!

Actually, I thought it was a pretty significant secondary character. The death was also immensely satisfying! I was actually surprised that he revealed it at a reading.

Just so we're clear, is this a revised version of the Jon chapter that has been previously read in which

SPOILER: ADWD
Mance is executed?

Or is this another chapter (and secondary character) entirely?

ETA: My vote is for those who went discussing it now. Most people are only going to know the chapter through the spoilers on this board anyway; and people have traditionally discussed spoilers as soon as they were known.

And damnit, I assumed that this was a Jon chapter already described in the Spoiler section so I went to see which parts overlapped. And I was wrong. I read the first line of the Jon 2 spoiler thread! And now it's ruined for me! Arrrrghhhh! My stupidness!

But. It seems that he read Jon 1. So the other two chapters in the spoiler sections are actually Jon 2 and 3.

And damnit, I assumed that this was a Jon chapter already described in the Spoiler section so I went to see which parts overlapped. And I was wrong. I read the first line of the Jon 2 spoiler thread! And now it's ruined for me! Arrrrghhhh! My stupidness!

But. It seems that he read Jon 1. So the other two chapters in the spoiler sections are actually Jon 2 and 3.

Ah, okay. So the Technicon chapter is _before_ the one on GRRM's website?

Just so we're clear, is this a revised version of the Jon chapter that has been previously read in which

SPOILER: ADWD
Mance is executed?

Or is this another chapter (and secondary character) entirely?

ETA: My vote is for those who went discussing it now. Most people are only going to know the chapter through the spoilers on this board anyway; and people have traditionally discussed spoilers as soon as they were known.

Nope. See my previous post. So if you really want to know, I'll go post in the Dance section now.

Dunno how I missed this thread for all this time. Hopefully those of you that went enjoyed Blacksburg and VT. If any of you are still there and looking for a nice side trip, and possibly a GRRM-themed hike, try Dragon's Tooth. I emailed GRRM a few weeks back and suggested he visit it if he needed some inspiration, but got no reply...probably buried in his inbox somewhere.

I'm guessing the SpectraPulse magazine wasn't actually available at Technicon.

Various people have put up little reports of the con, just general stuff, but there are pictures: here, here, and here.

Oh, and Ursula Vernon shared an anecdote from a panel she had with George, here.

Okay, I now have a real keyboard and the ability to type more than ten words per minute. It appears that Eponine and LJBG have already posted their summary of the Jon Chapter GRRM read on Sunday. I've only got a couple of small notes to add (I'll do that in LJBG's thread in the ADWD subforum.)

Additionally I would like to share one comment GRRM made about the release date of ADWD. It is still incomplete, however, he added the caviate that if he completes the book by June the current release dates on Amazon are accurate. He seemed much more up beat about the book than when he appeared at Trinoc Con back in August. I'm now cautiously optimistic that we will see ADWD by September/October.

Once again I would like to say how much I enjoyed meeting everyone. It was a wonderful weekend. I hope to see those who took photographs post links very soon.

[ETA] GRRM also said he believes he's a page away from completeing the third Dunk and Egg story. It is still to be published with the anthology Warriors.

AB,

I remember it as pages. But, I've been wrong before. Everyone should congratulate Eponine she ran ten miles in 81 minutes on Saturday. I sure as heck couldn't have pulled that off. I makes me tired to type about it.

Yea, she went to a panel, ran 10 miles, came back for more Con, and then hung out until past midnight. Props to Eponine and her BwB dedication! And her super speed!

AB,

I remember it as pages. But, I've been wrong before. Everyone should congratulate Eponine she ran ten miles in 81 minutes on Saturday. I sure as heck couldn't have pulled that off. I makes me tired to type about it.

I am not sure now, I may have heard what he didn't say. My perspective, not that he said this, was that he needed the time to edit the story to the final form. Two pages means that he could be done now... assuming he made it home safely and felt like working today.

Congrats Eponine. I had no idea that you had that busy a Saturday.

Archived