Another Con in the Southeast

Looks like hotel info is up now. I know nothing about the area so I'll have to look into how far the hotel is from the site. I also don't know anything about the "main hotel" chain mentioned. I've heard of it, but that's about it.

Christiansburg is about 10 minutes from Blacksburg. It's close, but you definitely cannot walk to campus. You will need a car, and it's unlikely that you'll be able to just flag down a cab anywhere.

Incidentally, the con is being held in McBride Hall . Definitely the most horrifying location for a convention I have ever heard of. I can show you guys all the rooms in which I had painful language classes like Spanish and Greek. I'm scared.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Can we get a roll call? I'm still going for the day on Saturday. Laura may or may not be coming, depending upon child care options. I'm sorry to hear Lany's not going. Car repairs suck.

Ser Scot

LugaJetBoyGirl

Angie

FitzChaterly's Lover

Jon Targaryen

Eponine R

S. John

Padraig ??

Shewoman

I look forward to meeting y'all or seeing you again.

I believe my sister and I are still probable, at least for Saturday & maybe for Friday. I do need to do something about getting a room reserved, though.

Edit: Oh, & sorry to hear about the car trouble, Lany. :(

Not only will I be there, I also live there.

I'm excited about meeting GRRM but I'm horrified at the idea that people will think that I'm... you know... the kind of person who goes to cons. I imagine that it will be overrun by geeky college students, of which I am not one; also I am afraid of furries and anime people, I'm not your normal fantasy fan here. I'm also horrified that it's going to be in McBryde- it's so cementy and uncomfortable.

I would be glad to help with transportation for anyone who needs it, or you can easily call the hooptieride for a cheap taxi. I don't know how much of the thing is going to be dedicated to GRRM- I'm only going to be there for those parts, but maybe my boyfriend would be willing to host a barbeque sometime during the weekend.

It seems like an awfully small, offbeat little con for GRRM to be the main and almost only guest of honor. Not that I'm complaining, it's just... overwhelming.

Edit: I wonder if Nymeria Daenerys Cersei Smidgrodski from Charlottesville will be there (see GRRM's site under "From my readers" for pets and kids named after book characters). I think if there's any lesson we should have learned after the first book, it's to hold off naming kids after characters until the end of the series. "You were named after a character in one of my favorite books. She seemed like such a sweetheart in Book 2 when you were born, but in Book 6, she killed her entire family and was burnt alive".

08 February 2008: A quick hotel reminder A few folks have contacted us saying they're having difficulty booking a room at the Microtel. At last report, they had a number of rooms left, but you absolutely must ask for the 'Technicon Room Block' right off when you're booking their room, or they will check their unblocked rooms and tell you they're out. For more information, check the Hotels Page.

I can tell you that there are not many rooms left. Between Technicon and a few sporting events occurring that weekend, most of the hotels are filling up fast. If you have yet to get a room, you better do so quickly. If the Technicon room block fills up at the main hotel, you might still be able to find something in the immediate area or the larger city of Roanoke that is 20-30 minute drive on interstate 81.

I am actually quite excited about this one. Hopefully won't be as crowded as some of the other cons I've attended and should have a better chance at participating with GRRM in some of the workshops and events. I am also hoping a very famous artist will be there that is very important to the future work of GRRM.

Hope to see you there!

Roanoke is actually more like 45-50 minutes from downtown Blacksburg. Salem, Shawsville or Fairlawn would all be closer.

Thanks. I just went by the distance on the interstate between major exits. Blacksburg is ten minutes from the interestate; Roanoke, likewise. But there are some hotels near 81 on the immediate exits that will hopefully be available between Roanoke and Wytheville. Those would be more convenient to folks driving in from long distances, or if you are flying in and renting a vehicle. I admit I am not very familiar with Shawsville or Fairlawn. Hopefully most folks probably won't need to venture very far from 81. Anyway, g'luck finding a place to stay.

If I can make it I'll definately just shack up with my parents who live an hour away, but I think I might be switching apartments that weekend. I don't think my roomates would be happy if I abandoned them on moving day. I'd really like a chance to meet GRRM though, and this seems like a pretty good opportunity, so we'll see.

I'm going to take advantage of my air travel options and plan to be in the Washington Capital Region for 8 days or so around this con. I aim to visit the Blacksburg area for 1 or 2 nights, as i'll be wandering around. But i'll probably get lost and not make it. :)

Archived