What's in your signed Martin collection?

me399

So, what if anything do you have signed by the great Mr. Martin.

Stories to go along with the signature would be great.

Alas, I have never met him personally but I did buy from him while he was selling on Ebay. I came across one of his auctions (1st print of "Fever Dream" and "Portraits of Children") and in the listing the seller stated that for no extra charge the book could be signed and inscribed. This had me curios so I wrote the seller and asked how he was going to get them signed, I asked if he knew the author or something. I got an email back with a smiley attached stating that "I am the author". I went right to Ebay and checked the user I.D. of the seller (should have done that from the start) it was GRRM. My jaw hit the floor. It took about 1 nano second for me to purchase the books. I had them signed and inscribed. I kept all the emails and have them with the books.

My signed collection:

Rretrospective: Signed and #251

Portraits of His Children: First edition Signed and inscribed; "To James, With all good wishes. George R.R. Martin"

Fever Dream: First edition signed and inscribed; "To James, keep your steam up. George R.R. Martin" (I like this one the most)

Well, thats all I got but they are the highlight of my collection. What if any do you guys have.

I did have the chance a year or so ago to get the first 2 super rare signed and lettered A.S.o.I.a.F. books with the rights to the rest but I did not have the 1,100.00 to spare at the time. I kick myself in the arse all the time over that brilliant move. Oh well.

Honestly? I have everything but his latest signed. (Latest meaning the new wildcards and the novel made from Shadow Twin.)

And those will be signed in a couple of weeks.

I have some interesting inscriptions, as well. Maybe I'll go through them at some point and photograph a few choice ones.

All Signed:

A Game of Thrones 1st Edition

Fevre Dream 1st Edition

Hunter's Run (SubPress Limited) on the way

Windhaven 1st Edition

A Clash of Kings (MM #'d)

A Storm of Swords (SubPress #'d)

A Feast for Crows (SubPress ABC'd) some day

Sandkings 1st Edition

Songs the Dead Men Sing (DH)

Portaits of His Children (DH)

Quartet

Legends 1st Edition

Legends II 1st Edition

That's all I can think of without actually looking. No stories worth mentioning.

A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows. In the last two he signed some pretty funny stuff.

His inscription in A Storm of Swords:

"I usually do not divulge this kind of information but in the next book he dies"

His inscription in A Feast for Crows:

"I could be working on the next book but I am signing yours instead"

Just my ASOIAF set from the new books released in the US. I got them more for sentimental reasons than any collecting kick.

I collect comics, I don't consider my Martin books collectibles. Those suckers are mine.

The Hedge Knight: "Keep your sword sharp."

Fevre Dream: "Keep your steam up."

A Feast for Crows: "Enjoy the feast!"

Not sure why I didn't get much else signed at the time. I also had AGoT, ACoK and ASoS and Dying of the Light and the ASoIaF boardgame (seriously, someone brought their copy to the signing and GRRM signed the box!). I'll have to remember to bring everything to the next signing and go through the line a few times ;)

(seriously, someone brought their copy to the signing and GRRM signed the box!). I'll have to remember to bring everything to the next signing and go through the line a few times ;)

You'd have to be some kind of dork to do that....

(Annually)

I have some interesting inscriptions, as well. Maybe I'll go through them at some point and photograph a few choice ones.

My best inscription is in A Feast For Crows

"To Ser Bronn Stone, Herald of the Feast. Thanks For Explaining the Books to Stego"

Of course, Stego knows this fact well. Just sharing with those who don't.

I have the Dabel Bros. hardcover trade edition of The Hedge Knight signed ("Keep your sword sharp"). Incidentally, I also got it signed by Ben Avery at the same convention.

I also have the paperbakcs for ASoIaF all signed by GRRM. It was actually rather funny. He was at a con and on the last day he asked the booksellers who had his stuff if they wanted him to sign anything. They naturally said yes. He then went down the line and signed all of their stock while I followed behind him and bought each one of them.

Signed

1st Edition UK AGOT, i looked on ebay(not that I would ever sell it for anything), and the price is sitting around 650. mine is in pretty good condition.

Feast For crows

Legends

All signed to me and my brother, saying "May your winters be short"

Definately one of our most prized possesions

Books, everything ASoIaF related with the exception of a few ARCs.

LE art, most of what is available to purchase in the ASoIaF series, including the Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword. Missing only a few prints.

Original art, I have quite a few. Although I haven't been in a position to acquire anything this last year.

Blackfyre

AFFC, with the standard inscription ("Enjoy the Feast")

a paperback AGOT, inscribed "To Hodor"

Armageddon Rag regular, inscribed "Rock to wake the dead"

Armageddon Rag limited

Windhaven, signed to somebody else but dated in the 80's, which is kind of cool and it was dirt cheap on ebay in great shape.

First 3 I got signed when AFFC came out, which is right before I went from book collector (in keeping a copy of everything I liked) to moderately obsessed collector (in that things should be in first impression). That signing in B&N NYC probably actually pushed me over the edge, as I tried to see if I could get hardcover copies of books 1-3 (I'd bought 2&3 for my brother as gifts, and borrowed them to read, and he was several states away at the time, and we'd borrowed 1 from a friend). I failed, which is why I ended up with the paperback. It was like 3 dollars and I figured, well, I can get 5 signed so I might as well get at least 4 (my first copy of AR, 2 AFFC (1 for me, one for brother) and thought it would be amusing to have a book inscribed to Hodor.

That signing was when I started to realize how big GRRM had gotten, fan wise. I'd gotten a wristband for the signing earlier, and it turned out that saved me hours in line, because people filled the seated section, the area behind it, and went several deep to the back of the store, down the stairs, and presumably into the basement.

Next time, I'd need a small box. I caught up my ASOIAF backlist, at least the US ones, and have gotten a few more of the randoms.

• 1 month later...

Book club edition of A Game of Thrones

First edition of A Storm of Swords

First edition A Feast for Crows

Reprint of Tuf Voyaging

Reprint of Dying of the light

GRRM: a RRetrospective (unnumbered, unlettered)

First Edition The Ice Dragon (That's really my daughter's book but I obtained the signature)

Wild Cards III

First editions of ASoS and AFfC

GRRM: RRetrospective

Legends (UK)

Rather meager collection, I admit. Never did get our two copies of AGoT 1st U.S. edition out for George to sign. :)

Rather meager collection, I admit.

No doubt but you will someday have the single coolest-of-all-time signed copy of the World Book. You (pl) should start thinking now of how you want George to inscribe it.

Archived