Football, Footie, Ball, FOOTBALL!

The Inquisitor

Looks like Los Gunners might be in for yet another season with nice play and no wins. They did their best last night but I felt that as the match went on, Liverpool got the upper hand.

Reading your posts I sometimes wonder if we're watching the same matches or if you're communicating from a parallel universe where things are ever so slightly different. In your world does green mean stop and red mean go?

Liverpool barely got out of their own half from about 35 minutes to 90. After they scored they went forward looking for a second for about 10 minutes, when that didn't come off they played 10 men behind the ball. Yet you say that Liverpool got the upper hand as the match went on.

Liverpool were lucky, and thats it. No tactical masterplan, just defend, defend and hope for the best. Its why I hate them. Its anti-football :tantrum:

Bayern 1 - Getafe 1

Getafe are not that bad ya know :P Plus lately Bayern had all embarassing results against Nuremberg and anderlecht. Football hey?

BlackWizard, are you a Rangers fan? Probably only excuse to see that ;) I learned my lesson with Sporting-Bolton and did not bother, though next round ok, maybe, if it does affect other plans.

Calibandar concerning Rijkaard and weakness maybe it is just his position and not inherently him. Theories I heard were that since Ten Cate left for Holland that his authority is adrift, that they had a good cop ( easy guy, good friend, famous player) bad cop ( authority, training, discipline, timetables) routine and with the bad cop gone, it´s like a kindergarten gone wild. Sort of ;) If true or not I don´t know. But I can look at some events and he does seem to try to please too much the players and press, and it is not working. Recent examples : getting stick from the press for Messi not playing from the start versus Atlético ( Barcelona looses. This after having played him 6 games in the short month of February) then starting Messi against Celtic at home when going through was almost guaranteed - Messi gets injured early due to muscle strain but the cherry on the cake so to speak is Puyol going to the press and blaming the press for "making Rijkaard play Messi". Maybe it is not true, but when the captain thinks the manager is picking players to escape press attention, I don´t think it is a good sign of manager authority. Rijkaard has been lying to the press about Ronaldinho being "injured" and unable to train or play so medical department has come out and put statements out they knew nothing of such injuries. You can make of that what you will. Funnily enough, football really is crazy, none of this will matter if they get lucky in 4 more CL matches ;) That will save everything.

PS - Jon, so Zico and Laudrup, what do you say? I was thinking more on it, went youtubing, which is of course not a good guide ( but is fun and what a person can find) and :bow: to both but Zico really edges it for me. I got a crazy insight though, Laudrup´s play made me think fo Wayne Rooney a lot, am I completely imagining this? The same sort of vision and passing and keeping it simple - I guess Laudrup edges it for me a bit ( having a much longer career to pick highlights from), and Laudrup had an advantage as well, gosh that man could use his size as a bulldozer like Ronaldo and a few more ( Zidane as well, actually! )

PS - Jon, so Zico and Laudrup, what do you say? I was thinking more on it, went youtubing, which is of course not a good guide ( but is fun and what a person can find) and :bow: to both but Zico really edges it for me. I got a crazy insight though, Laudrup´s play made me think fo Wayne Rooney a lot, am I completely imagining this? The same sort of vision and passing and keeping it simple - I guess Laudrup edges it for me a bit ( having a much longer career to pick highlights from), and Laudrup had an advantage as well, gosh that man could use his size as a bulldozer like Ronaldo and a few more ( Zidane as well, actually! )

I never saw much of Zico, and after looking at some of those clips I'd say "similar yet different" sums it up for me, in this case. Zico obviously scored a lot more goals (and half of them from free kicks, it almost seems!), but in retrospect Laudrup's style really looks a lot like Zidane's and as Zizou was divine (according to the revelations of His prophet on these very forums), I'll go with Laudrup on this.

A pity neither of them ever won anything with their national teams. And to think all Laudrup would have had to do was cancel his vacation in '92...

I never saw much of Zico, and after looking at some of those clips I'd say "similar yet different" sums it up for me, in this case. Zico obviously scored a lot more goals (and half of them from free kicks, it almost seems!), but in retrospect Laudrup's style really looks a lot like Zidane's and as Zizou was divine (according to the revelations of His prophet on these very forums), I'll go with Laudrup on this.

The free kicks were amazing, no? I think those are a variation on what is called "folha seca", meaning dry leaf, drifting into place like a autumn leaf falling into ground... I will take Zico, thank you very much, different tastes account for varied markets, he was just smoother. A different type of music. BTW Zidane has his prophets but each time has its own, I know somebody who proclaims it was Platini and a few for whom Eusébio ( Eusébio says it was di Stefano). Not forgetting the Church of Maradona - I will say this for Maradona´s claim, there are some players, games, goals I remember watching as a child. With youtube you can go check, and somehow often it is a disappointment, yes, it was great but it all looks smaller, slower than you remembered ( even Ronaldo, even van Basten, in a way). But Maradona, he is even better than I remembered.

A pity neither of them ever won anything with their national teams. And to think all Laudrup would have had to do was cancel his vacation in '92...

you never know how it would have changed team spirit so maybe it would not happened.

Puskas and Cruyff and di Stefano and Eusébio never did either. Maradona was this close to not apart from a very ilegal goal in a quarterfinal(? it was the quarters?). And Ronaldo never won the CL. For sufficiently high levels of genius you remember them just the same, more than those who won.

Laudrup and Rooney, not biting that bait? I know it is probably heretical, but IMO Rooney is not a striker ( more heresy, I think Ferguson knows it very well and has not been using him as such lately. 3 most recent english managers seem to have not realized that yet. ) and his type of game, looks like Laudrup to me much more than the canonical comparisons.

But Maradona, he is even better than I remembered.

That is very true.

you never know how it would have changed team spirit so maybe it would not happened.

I was not being terribly serious. Also Denmark '92 didn't have a lot of room for attacking players, IIRC.

For sufficiently high levels of genius you remember them just the same, more than those who won.

Of course, but I often have the impression that Laudrup (and Zico!) get overlooked a lot (at least here in Germany) simply for this reason. As someone who became a bit of a Denmark fan as a kid (mostly because that was our destination for several summer vacations, but what can you do?) I find this vexing.

I felt a poor result coming for Man U this weekend and I was right. I'm glad they took away a point at least.

It was a spectacular match between Middlesborough and Man U. A draw was a deserved result. I was talking to a friend about this the other day and we agreed that it's always the same way with teams like Arsenal and Man U, compared to a team like Chelsea. At least for the last few years. Arsenal and Man U have the sort of attractive sides that dominate matches 90% of the time, but they also need to do that in order to win one. If they have a day when they are not in best form and don't overwhelm their opponent, they take a draw or a loss.

Compare this to Chelsea who will often take a victory or at least a draw even in matches where they are equal to the opponent or in fact the underlying side. A week or three ago Chelsea played the Boro as well. They were completely under siege, Boro his the bar twice and the post once, but Chelsea won the match with 1 goal difference. Man U in a similar situation yesterday, they come away with the draw. This happens so often it's a pattern.

Some news of the league in Holland, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, striker of the Dutch national side is again in massive form and scored his 32nd goal this season yesterday ( not counting the non-league goals). The man is a phenomenon and will leave Ajax at the end of the season for an as yet undisclosed major foreign club ( looks to be either Barca or a major English side). Huntelaar=Uber Inzaghi.

Huntelaar=Uber Inzaghi.

Let's wait and see how he does at a bigger club playing in a big league.;) But I have to admit his scoring record looks very impressive. Not that many players score 30+ a season in the league.

On a completely different note, Oliver Kahn entertained football fans all over the country when he blamed Bayern's poor result against Getafe on the presence of Jürgen Klinsmann in the stadium during the game. Lothar Matthäus quickly jumped on the opportunity to hit out against Klinsmann (who may just be old Loddar's least favourite person on the planet right now) and declared Klinsmann had broken some unwritten "code of honor" between football managers. Nevermind that Klinsmann was in Munich to talk to Hitzfeld and had asked the latter if would mind him coming to the game, the idea that the mere presence of Klinsmann in the stadium led to the result is so wonderfully ridiculous.

If that is his effect on Bayern's game I am so looking forward to next season!

In all fainess, Kahn has since realised how pathetic an excuse that was and retracted the statement.

They have to win. The only time a runner up gets into the UEFA cup is if winner already has a UEFA Cup/Champion's League spot. I think.

Thanks, although I don't think Portsmouth will have too much problems getting qualified through the league, particularly since if they lose the final, there will be an extra spot in the league.

ETA: Or maybe not. In addition to Spurs, the 5th place in the league gives a spot. In addition either the 6th spot or the winner of the FA Cup if that is Portsmouth get a spot. So Portsmouth have to be in 5th or 6th to guarantee a spot in Europe.

Jon

The man is a phenomenon already. His bad luck is that he has been with an Ajax side that hasn't performed well in years, and has therefor still been unable to shine in the European competitions ( Ajax losing to Zagreb and all :rolleyes: ).

He's done very well for the national side as well, and might well keep van Nistelrooy ( as internationally recognized as they come) on the bench.

But I agree with the basic sentiment that he needs to prove himself on major league level. I should add that he scored 34 goals in the 2005/2006 season as well, was topscorer again last year and now towers over everyone yet again. Obviously Ajax cannot and should not keep him any longer. The last player we had in Holland who so dominated the league in terms of sheer goal scoring was Ronaldo.

Reading your posts I sometimes wonder if we're watching the same matches or if you're communicating from a parallel universe where things are ever so slightly different. In your world does green mean stop and red mean go?
On the one hand I wanted to applaud the perception in this comment... and then I read on and felt that my applause was undeserved.

Liverpool barely got out of their own half from about 35 minutes to 90. After they scored they went forward looking for a second for about 10 minutes, when that didn't come off they played 10 men behind the ball. Yet you say that Liverpool got the upper hand as the match went on.

Liverpool were lucky, and thats it. No tactical masterplan, just defend, defend and hope for the best. Its why I hate them. Its anti-football :tantrum:

As someone who watched both the CL first leg and the PL match on Saturday I say there were both reasonably well balanced games and that a point each was a pretty fair result for both teams.

People have some weird reasons for hating other teams though (see Liverpool fans hating Chelsea - wtf? no valid reason for that one as I see it). call me old-fashioned but I hate Arsenal because that's the way I was brought up. :) When Liverpool win on Tuesday you can drag out the 'lucky' card again and see who bites.

Paddy: (delayed response, been away) We'll agree that harassing of refs is always a bad thing and agree to disagree on who the worst offenders are, I guess. :)

If this is the definition of guts now, anyone who has ever played rugby must be some kind of superhero.
:rofl:

Yeah, that idiot Martin Samuel (guy with the superbad haircut who writes for the Times) spent half of the entire match review going on and on about how awesome that header was and even used it as a means of abusing John Terry (poor bastard has been injured most of the season anyway) to the point where I was utterly nauseated. They'll be crediting people for putting their shirts on the right way round next. :rolleyes: Um, how much do they pay these players again?

So does Portsmouth automatically get the FA Cup spot in the UEFA Cup, or do they have to win the final to get it?

Wait, maybe I misunderstood so let me get this straight: Cardiff will not be given a UEFA Cup spot, even if they win the Cup, simply because they are Welsh? That doesn't make any kind of sense to me, they are in the Championship, they are obviously allowed to participate in the FA Cup, but they will be denied european qualification on grounds of nationality? Isn't that kinda like the French FA refusing the same to AS Monaco? And what would happen if they got promoted and proceeded to win the league?

ETA: Oh, and I had no idea Chelsea were a successful team when I started supporting them. Two years ago, the only English teams I could've named were Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, and Sheffield Wednesday.

:lol: You just made Chris Waddle's day.

Mustn't you feel like a twit after the PL game. Arsenal - Liverpool reserves 1-1.

PS. Voronin may look like an assassin, but he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Makes Kuyt look like a deadly sniper.

Wait, maybe I misunderstood so let me get this straight: Cardiff will not be given a UEFA Cup spot, even if they win the Cup, simply because they are Welsh? That doesn't make any kind of sense to me, they are in the Championship, they are obviously allowed to participate in the FA Cup, but they will be denied european qualification on grounds of nationality? Isn't that kinda like the French FA refusing the same to AS Monaco? And what would happen if they got promoted and proceeded to win the league?

Apparently Cardiff also partook in the Welsh Cup. I believe the last time they participated in the Cup Winner Cup was in 1993, since then UEFA regulation prevented them to participate for Wales since they were part of the English FA league system.

Since 1995, only Welsh teams playing in Wales were allowed entry to the Welsh Cup.

It appear that it's the FA that is denying Cardiff entry to UEFA Cup on the basis that it's a Welsh, and not English team. UEFA is not too happy about this, and has wowed to give Cardiff a wildcard spot if they were to win the FA Cup.

ETA: As it turns out, the "English" Welsh teams last partook in the Cup Winner Cup following Wrexham's win over Cardiff in the 1995 final. Since then they have been barred from the competition.

So it's a somewhat recent change. So this is the first time since 1995 that this has been an issue. I guess the logical solution is for the FA to consider the Welsh sides in the league system as 'English' teams since 1995.

Archived