Football, Footie, Ball, FOOTBALL!

The Inquisitor

:lol: You just made Chris Waddle's day.

PS. Voronin may look like an assassin, but he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Makes Kuyt look like a deadly sniper.

We say 'can't hit an elephant's arse with a banjo'. Generally. :) But I'm not going to string someone up for missing one sitter anyway (second one wasn't even a half chance really).

You know, the Waddle and Hoddle hair-dos are about the only thing from the 80's that have yet to make a comeback. Watch this space...

It appear that it's the FA that is denying Cardiff entry to UEFA Cup on the basis that it's a Welsh, and not English team. UEFA is not too happy about this, and has wowed to give Cardiff a wildcard spot if they were to win the FA Cup.

Hopefully all this will be for nought as I'm hoping Cardiff don't win.

N

On the one hand I wanted to applaud the perception in this comment... and then I read on and felt that my applause was undeserved.

As someone who watched both the CL first leg and the PL match on Saturday I say there were both reasonably well balanced games and that a point each was a pretty fair result for both teams.

When Liverpool win on Tuesday you can drag out the 'lucky' card again and see who bites.

Why was it undeserved? I'm right. Liverpool barely moved for two thirds of the match. They were lucky to escape with a draw. If Liverpool win 5-0 on Tuesday it won't change the fact that they were lucky in the Emirates last Wednesday.

Mustn't you feel like a twit after the PL game. Arsenal - Liverpool reserves 1-1.

Why should I feel like a twit? I made no mention of the PL game nor did I make any predictions about Arsenal beating Liverpool in the PL or at Anfield in the CL. The PL game has no bearing on the previous CL game as there were huge changes in personnel and Arsenal played a different system for most of the match.

BTW Arsenal's starting lineup contained Hoyte, Traore, Gilberto, Bendtner and Walcott so a strong case could be made for both teams sending out reserves.

Ah, if only you'd told me at the start that you were right! If I'd known that I'd never have bothered entering into any kind of discussion. So I guess you win - no need to ever read anything you post in future, because you're right. Phew. Glad we got that sorted out.

Wait, maybe I misunderstood so let me get this straight: Cardiff will not be given a UEFA Cup spot, even if they win the Cup, simply because they are Welsh? That doesn't make any kind of sense to me, they are in the Championship, they are obviously allowed to participate in the FA Cup, but they will be denied european qualification on grounds of nationality? Isn't that kinda like the French FA refusing the same to AS Monaco? And what would happen if they got promoted and proceeded to win the league?

Basically, the English FA will not give Cardiff a European place, as they are not an English team.The Welsh FA will likewise not give them a place, as the FA Cup is not a Welsh competition.

Ah, if only you'd told me at the start that you were right! If I'd known that I'd never have bothered entering into any kind of discussion. So I guess you win - no need to ever read anything you post in future, because you're right. Phew. Glad we got that sorted out.

Heh. Funny.

Arsenal Vs Liverpool CL QF first leg match stats,

courtesy Sky Sports.

Shots On Target

Arsenal: 6

Liverpool: 3

Shots Off Target

Arsenal: 7

Liverpool: 1

Blocked Shots

Arsenal: 2

Liverpool:0

Corners

Possession

Arsenal: 65.3

Liverpool: 34.7

Territorial Advantage

Arsenal: 53.1

Liverpool: 46.9

And yet you saw it as a 'balanced game'.

Its anti-football and Liverpool were lucky to get away with it.

Maybe you would like to address my points next time. Or you could just ignore them again and write up another hilarious post, whatever works for you.

Heh. Funny.

Arsenal Vs Liverpool CL QF first leg match stats,

courtesy Sky Sports.

Shots On Target

Shots Off Target

Arsenal: 7

Liverpool: 1

Blocked Shots

Arsenal: 2

Liverpool:0

Corners

Possession

Arsenal: 65.3

Liverpool: 34.7

Territorial Advantage

Arsenal: 53.1

Liverpool: 46.9

And yet you saw it as a 'balanced game'.

Its anti-football and Liverpool were lucky to get away with it.

Maybe you would like to address my points next time. Or you could just ignore them again and write up another hilarious post, whatever works for you.

So you're basically saying that Liverpool gave a professional and typical European away performance.

I'll agree that at times they were frustrating to watch (Kuyt running the ball into the corner with nearly 10 minutes to go) but except for a couple of occasions where they rode their luck, Liverpool were professional and showed why they have been so successful in Europe over the last few years.

Why must all Arsenal fans be so bitter and unwilling to give any credit to anyone other than themselves?

Does it radiate down from their cock of a manager or do they have to pass some kind of entry exam where they deny seeing anything their players do wrong and cry foul at every loss/goal conceded?

I'm not saying each and every Arsenal suffers from this disease but it IMHO does seem to be the trend. :thumbsup:

It's a trend, alright. That's why it was hilarious to watch Wenger getting all riled up on Saturday. Ah, toasty. *warms hands on fire of Wenger's irritation*

You know, when I was in my teens I had a very black and white policy of NEVER discussing football with arsenal fans. I've since learned to be more reasonable, but perhaps I have been too hasty. :unsure:

And if you could not quote any more arsenal fans, Sean, that would be grand. :) Bugger all point ignoring people if someone quotes them, is there! Thanks.

On a completely different note, Oliver Kahn entertained football fans all over the country when he blamed Bayern's poor result against Getafe on the presence of Jürgen Klinsmann in the stadium during the game. Lothar Matthäus quickly jumped on the opportunity to hit out against Klinsmann (who may just be old Loddar's least favourite person on the planet right now) and declared Klinsmann had broken some unwritten "code of honor" between football managers. Nevermind that Klinsmann was in Munich to talk to Hitzfeld and had asked the latter if would mind him coming to the game, the idea that the mere presence of Klinsmann in the stadium led to the result is so wonderfully ridiculous.

If that is his effect on Bayern's game I am so looking forward to next season!

In all fainess, Kahn has since realised how pathetic an excuse that was and retracted the statement.

I love this stuff, and normally I would never hear of it. Thanks so much Jon! BTW maybe it was not bad luck (Kahn really is something) on the fact that they pretty much underestimated opposition. Getafe really are not that bad.

About Huntelaar, I don´t really know how good he really is - I have seen bits of him playing, specially in 06 under-21 euro, but not enough to be sure to have an educated opinion. Inzaghi is a good comparison. But problem is, his type of game, not sure how it translates to different types of defending or even of playing, and not sure he can *create* opportunities all on his own - ok, not that strikers are required to do that but Ronaldo could and Thierry Henry can. But as I said, I have not seen enough, maybe he has lots more than what I have seen, or maybe what he has is powerful enough on its own. BTW Real Madrid wants him? Does Marco van Basten accept the fact he might be gone in the summer? eheh, Real Madrid probably has more dutch now than Barcelona, if only Barcelona could convince Cruyff to move ;)

Why must all Arsenal fans be so bitter and unwilling to give any credit to anyone other than themselves?

You know, when I was in my teens I had a very black and white policy of NEVER discussing football with arsenal fans. I've since learned to be more reasonable, but perhaps I have been too hasty. :unsure:

I think I should point out that I'm not an Arsenal fan. So this bias you both seem to be implying doesn't exist. I would prefer either them or Man U to win the PL but only because they play better football than Chelsea. As for the CL, so long as Chelsea or Liverpool don't win it I'll be happy.

I have to "watch" these CL games from work, usually BBC's commentary. I did enjoy this;

2112: GOAL Liverpool 2-1 Arsenal (agg 3-2)

See? Fernando Torres controls Peter Crouch's flick, turns and fires into the top corner. A brilliant, brilliant goal from the Spaniard.

2109: Arsenal are on top now just about... which probably means Liverpool will score in a minute.

----

Looks like Chelsea just put Fenerbahce away too.

Arsenal have been robbed over 2 legs because of incompetent refereeing. First not giving a penalty against Kuyt last week and now this penalty. Toure didn't touch him diving bastard!! I don't even support Arsenal but im soooo angry!!!

Shock as Liverpool are aided by a referee. That's only ... 4 times in the last 4 CL matches! It's a real shame though, because Walcott's run deserved to lead to a winning goal.

Oh well. I'll be cheering on Barcelona or Man Utd from here on. It's not often I cheer on United, but there's no way in hell I'll support Liverpool or Chelsea.

Archived