College Basketball 2

Rhom

It sure seems that way. West seemed pretty weak to start with and it's getting weaker by the minute. Which is particularly good for UCLA since we have people on the mend.

KU how pretty much the same path to the E8 as you guys now. I would much rather be playing aTm than UNLV though (seeing as we've beat them twice already).

With all these upsets I am getting freaking nervous about tomorrow...

Gottlieb: Bill Self = Moses, because the Red Sea just parted to he E8. :lol:

ETA: There have been some f'n horrible calls this season but have there been any worse than this???

The ref was looking right at Paulus!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

So we're at the end of the first weekend... how is our pool doing?

1 TheHoundRules ugadawg1864 27 27 of 32 183

1 Rock Chalk jmlindner_2001 27 27 of 32 181

3 S. John John 25 25 of 32 181

4 Ser Stephen's Oldtown Ogres stephenmpeyton 24 24 of 32 180

4 RedEyedGhost red5_77 24 24 of 32 180

4 Arbor Gold schmitty200000001 24 24 of 32 180

7 Bronze Stones Bronn Stone 23 23 of 32 179

7 LL's Bracket pansywansylinsy 23 23 of 32 179

7 AndrewWiggin Ender 23 23 of 32 177

7 rhom michael.owsley 23 23 of 32 177

Much props to THR for the first weekend.

I didn't hear the final numbers last night, but with 8 games to play; ESPN said that over 3.5 million brackets had been filled out in their tourney challenge and 24 were still perfect.

I have a question about a term I keep seeing in tournament discussions this year, to wit:

What the hell does "chalk" mean in the context of tournament brackets?

Maybe I need to just turn in my fan card, but I swear I've never heard this word used before in this context and now suddenly everybody and their brother uses it in articles or TV spots or whatever. It has my early vote for overused sports phrase of the year, in fact.

You know... I've been hearing that a lot this year too, and I don't remember hearing it before.

I would assume (based on the context that I've heard it in) that it refers to taking a higher seed straight across. But I really don't know.

I'm glad somebody asked what 'chalk' meant becuase I didn't know either. Damn sports analysts, with thier fancy new words.

In football over the last few years an interception returned for a touchdown has become a "pick 6", and the one that really drives me nuts.... making plays "in space." What, are we fucking astronauts now? Completely meaningless phrase and the espn guys use it all the time now, 'specially 'ol Herbstreit.

Chalk is one of those stupid buzzwords people make up to sound smart and cutting edge.

I think todays game will be very good, Duke and WVU should be a great game. I want some more last second victories today again.

I'm glad somebody asked what 'chalk' meant becuase I didn't know either. Damn sports analysts, with thier fancy new words.

In football over the last few years an interception returned for a touchdown has become a "pick 6", and the one that really drives me nuts.... making plays "in space." What, are we fucking astronauts now? Completely meaningless phrase and the espn guys use it all the time now, 'specially 'ol Herbstreit.

In Space? Haven't picked up on that one yet. Is that when a WR is wide open (or when a RB breaks free of everyone)?

Didn't learn chalk until a few days ago. Agree w/ Gold Storm about sounding smart and cutting edge. I actually think it makes the announcers look stupid. Goes along with everything else with major media coverage. All flash and trying to be smart by being different or controversial. Focused analysis gets drowned out by so much other stuff. I thank the internet for widening my options.

"In space' is definitely a soccer term, but yeah, I've heard it used more recently WRT football. odd.

This Duke/WVU game is great, West V is just outplaying Duke. And Duke really isn't that good. They just aren't.

Also, thanks for not including me in that tourney rundown, considering I'm horribly in last place in the bunch :P . I picked all four 5/12 games wrong. But 14 of my sweet 16 are still there, and my entire Elite 8 is still alive, so I have a shot.

I think the rule is no fires in Morgantown until the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tNcvSsqZlU. :pirate:

Anyway, I'm pretty happy. WVU was dominant in the second half with a good chance to win the next round as well.

WG,

In the context of football you'll often hear them referring to a players ability to make tackles "in space." I'm assuming that this means open field tackles once the ball carrier has cleared the line of scrimmage. If you listen for it next season you'll hear it a lot.

Can't tell if it's just the fact Duke seems really soft as a team and everyone who plays 'em ends up looking better than they are, but West Virginia looked pretty damn good. The announcers kept harping on Mazzula, but it was Alexander who I thought was a force. Think they got a great shot to meet UCLA in the elite 8.

In the context of football you'll often hear them referring to a players ability to make tackles "in space." I'm assuming that this means open field tackles once the ball carrier has cleared the line of scrimmage. If you listen for it next season you'll hear it a lot.

They use the phrase a lot in the NFL. What it means is having to make one-on-one tackles out in the open without any help. Basically, how good is a guy if the ball-carrier has a lot of room to operate with. Usually it's referred to in context of running backs receiving the ball on dump-offs or swing passes.

Can't tell if it's just the fact Duke seems really soft as a team and everyone who plays 'em ends up looking better than they are, but West Virginia looked pretty damn good. The announcers kept harping on Mazzula, but it was Alexander who I thought was a force. Think they got a great shot to meet UCLA in the elite 8.

Yes and yes. The Duke mental toughness that they have been known for hasn't been even seen since the middle of the season, and apparently neither has their jumpshot. WVU did look good all on their own though - no question bout that. Alexander is the type of player that can make a team run a tourney - I don't think it will happen with the strength that is out there, but that's what makes this fun.

Atleast UConn lost...

Although I do actively pull against Duke, I hope that they learn that while outside games and three-point shots win regular season games, it loses in the tourney (though it did get Illinois to the Finals in 2005).

In Dukeanese, "In The Paint" points are counted if they are scored inside the arc.

So pulling for Purdue to pull this out. Can't even remember who I picked, just would like to see them win it.

Figures that I'd do better in this bracket than the other two that I put money on. I now feel ashamed of myself for not picking WVU to beat Duke in one of them. Georgetown just put such a hurtin' on us in the BE tournament that my faith was shaken.

Notre Dame is killing me right now. Admittedly, I gave them the benefit of the doubt this game as I hadn't watched WSU at all this season. Maybe we'll see some luck o' the Irish in the second half. I won't shed any tears if they lose though. I hate Notre Dame.

I'm not following what you said. Would you mind rephrasing that?

Sorry...was watching the Purdue game as I was typing. Would have liked to see them win the game with the way they were playing.

Archived