What Are You Reading - May '08

kcf

[quote name='Deornoth' post='1365884' date='May 22 2008, 10.33']I've put it to one side, I [i]might[/i] give it another go soon...

Just finished 'Sly Mongoose' (Tobias Buckell) and it's great! Loads of cool space opera goodness which is just what I'm after, although he has a nasty habit of building the tension up and then drawing a conclusion in one small sentence that you really have to look for... That aside though, I really enjoyed this and a full review is over [url="http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com"]Here[/url].
Next up is either Brian Ruckley's 'Blood Heir' or Kay Kenyon's 'A World Too Near'.[/quote]

I received my copy today from Buckell himself and 60 pages in, it's really good, for much the same reasons as you state here.

Also read the first 2/3 of Gene Wolfe's upcoming [i]An Evil Guest[/i] and right now, I'm mildly disappointed. This isn't one of Wolfe's better novels, although it's far from bad. It just reads as a mashup of Lovecraft and
'30s era noir pulp, without much in the way of hidden layers that is Wolfe's hallmark.

Finished [i]The Shadow[/i] Isle by Katharine kerr. It's the 14th novel in her Deverry Cycle. Sweet Mother Dark, and it is not finished. I thought it was the last one, but it wasn't. Oh no...

351 pages were nothing really happens. A lot of people travel from one place to another, talking about Wyrd, Dweomer and stuff like that. Talk about how horrible the Horseskin are, and how nice the Westfolk is. :sleep:

It is not a horrible novel, but it is hard to see the point of it. No flashback to previous life though, which is good. Kerr could string this cycle out forever if she continues like this. Bah!

Just started Neuropath by Scott Bakker (Thanks Pat).
I'm also trying to finish up Night Watch (will Anton ever stop whining? :@) and some shitty Lustbader novel which I've forgotten the name of.

I'm waiting on the PS Publishing version of Return of the Crimson Guard, so I guess that is next in line.

Reread an old classic, [i]Lost Horizon[/i] by James Hilton, for the first time since I was a teen.

A bit like LotR, this is one of those books that started a meme. In this case, that of Shangri-La: the mysterious eastern monastery hidden in a remote forgotten mountain valley, the home of monks of superhuman wisdom.

It is a little dated. For example some of the characters are stiff-upper-lip Englishmen (though the author does somewhat send up their attitudes), and it is written with the shadow of WW1 in the recent past and the expectation of WW2 in the future. Despite that, it is still thought provoking and IMO well worth a read.

Just started Hal Duncan's [i]Vellum[/i]. It seems good (er, on page 2, anyway), but I am apprehensive. I have heard a lot of mixed revews about this book that worry me, yet a friend - whose opinion I generally respect - told me that [i]Vellum[/i] is a very good book.

Crossing my fingers.

I'm almost done [i]the Darkness that comes before[/i]. it started off a bit slow, but I'm really starting to get into it. Should be picking up the next book tomorrow, assuming that my lame ass local bookstore still has it's lone copy of it.

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1369132' date='May 23 2008, 21.49']I'm almost done [i]the Darkness that comes before[/i]. it started off a bit slow, but I'm really starting to get into it. Should be picking up the next book tomorrow, assuming that my lame ass local bookstore still has it's lone copy of it.[/quote]

:thumbsup: Enjoy it.

Currently reading The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I dunno. I've read it before, when I was about sixteen, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not that awesome this time around, although I do enjoy the nods to Bronze Age Greece/Middle East.

I've run out of things to read >=[ I don't know what I'll do when I finish this.

[i]Luncheon of the Boating Party[/i] by Susan Vreeland, one of my favorite historical fiction writers. It is about how the masterpiece of Renoir came to be and tells the story not only using the great French artist as a POV character, but also uses the POV's of several of his models for the painting. :)

Finished Jo Graham's [i]Black Ships[/i]. I loved it. Haunting, beautiful and evocative. *I have never read the classic so I can't tell if it captures the spirit of Virgil's [i]Aeneid[/i]*
Next is [i]The Rosetta Key [/i]by William Dietrich.

Judith Tarr's [i]Devil's Bargain[/i]. Meh. I've tried for a week, but it's not worth the effort of finishing. Blends King Richard crusade history with fantasy and that part is done well enough, it's just the story and the main character are dull (sadly).

Reading, [i]The Wrong Man[/i] by Michael Mello. It's about the justice system and wrongful death row convictions.

Just finished Alan Campbell's [i]Iron Angel[/i], which I loved. My only problem with it was that sometimes it felt like he was trying to do too much too quickly. Other than that though it was a great book, with wonderful worldbuilding and plenty of imagination.

Now starting Joe Abercrombie's [i]Last Argument of Kings[/i] and hoping it's as great as everyone says it is.

Archived