What are you reading?

Luzifer's right hand

The Iron Wars by Paul Kearney, third in the Monarchies of God series. Doing a re-read before sticking a review up on another board. I'd forgotten how great his battle scenes are and how enjoyable it was to read an epic fantasy novel less than 500 pages long.

I am reading Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset. Once every couple of years I decide I should read a novel by a Nobel Prize winner. So far I'm about 200 pages into a 1,000 page book. Kristin is acting like a dumb teenager, but then again, at this point, that's what she is! :)

The Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce.

I've never been a big fan of contemporary fantasy, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Also reading: A Crisis on Infinite Earths TPB

just to bone up for Infinate Crisis.

I am a HUGE fan of contemporary fantasy. I really enjoyed The Tooth Fairy, it's very gritty and realistic about what teenage boys get up to. Plus, it had no wussy visit to the fairy kingdom.

M. John Harrison does very nice contemporary fantasy, I especially recommend Light which is more like sci-fi but kind of defies description (often a sign of a good book), in case you decide to come over to the dark side. ;)

I have been reading a House of Chains by Erikson (about half way through). But next I think I will read that Lyonese book by Jack Vance.

What, the whole trilogy? Man, that's a great series. No-one does funny, over-the-top dialogue like Vance.

I am Legend is an awesome book. I read it in a class I took last semester on vampire lit. (That class rocked, we got to watch the whole first season of Buffy in it!) I heard they are goign to make a new film version of I am Legend starring Will Smith, but they are completely changing it around. Oh well.

And as for Eragon/Eldest...Umm...I guess you made a nice investment in a particularly large paperweight? As far as I'm concerned, that's the worst fantasy book I've ever half-read-then-thrown-down-in-disust. But, maybe you'll like it! Then you can start a thread and we can engage in spirited debate. ;)

Speaking of bad fantasy, I am just about to finish the first book in Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory's Obsidian Trilogy. It's horrible, awful, and hilarious. My friend had me read it because she actually likes it, but I'm enjoying for completely different reasons. It has all of the elements that make bad fantasy so much fun to read, and to make fun of.

As of tomorrow, however, I"ll be completely concentrated on AffC! :)

thanks for the reply! I am definitely liking I Am Legend, I read 70 pages today, it's a lot of fun. Eragon is the book I was speaking of and that's too bad I was kind of excited for it. Oh well, we'll see and indeed possibly debate in the near future.

I've never read Lackey or Mallory but I've heard bad things...

I just finished "The Other Boleyn Girl", by recommendation from someone on this board. I was a little disappointed in the way the story was told (about King Henry VIII and his first 2 wives, told from the point of view of wife #2's sister). It gets a little redundant in some parts. But it was interesting to me to get a more personal look at that piece of history. Overall a good book though.

When I finished I got on google and started to look up pictures of all of the palaces that were settings in the book, WOW!!! I would love to visit some of those places!!

thanks for the reply! I am definitely liking I Am Legend, I read 70 pages today, it's a lot of fun. Eragon is the book I was speaking of and that's too bad I was kind of excited for it. Oh well, we'll see and indeed possibly debate in the near future.

I've never read Lackey or Mallory but I've heard bad things...

Well, like I said, maybe you will like it! Don't be unexcited just because some random girl on the internet hated it!

But yes, stay very far away from the Obsidian trilogy. Unless you're like me, and you enjoy reading bad fantasy everyonce in awhile for fun.

Recent reads :

Ian R. McLeod, The Light Ages.

A Stegorec .Normally I ain't a fan of faux-victorian spec fic, but this one I loved. A kind of Great Expectations tale set in a Britain where the Industrial revolution occurs with magic fuelling the engines, and the Guilds are the power in the land. Slightly disappointing resolution, but a great story with wonderful concepts. (as for the ending..Silanah said the other day she had given up on finding a decent ending to a modern genre book, and I'm inclined to think she's right)

Margaret Atwood, A Handmaids Tale

This was a reread, and I found it kinda sluggish on the reread. I absolutely adored it when I first read it ten years ago, but this time found it just..slow. And perhaps a touch overly wordy too. Regretting giving it to another boarder with 5 star rec now :P

Tom Wolfe, I am Charlotte Simmons

This is a typically long meandering Wolfe tale, this time set in a top American college. I found it fun to read just for the college stereotypes that I can recognise from boarders here, and some of it seemed pretty perspicacious, but in the end, weak predictable plot, slightly unbeleivable main character, and the feeling that writing it was a weird act of voyeurism for the writer meant that it deserved the bad reviews it got from critics worldwide. Still, fun for a Euro to get into American college mindset :P

Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

I think there's a few other Murakami fans here : his Wind-up Bird Chronicle was nothing short of sublime. Contemporary Japanese fiction with a hint of surreality, the supernatural, usually dealing with the theme of loss and death in adolescense. Kafka on the Shore is pretty much par for the course from this author, but didn't blow me away as much as his earlier books. Maybe because I knew what to expect. A wonderful old man who talks to cats in it though.

Dan Simmons, Olympus

Finally got my hands on this! and despite the bad things I've heard, am enjoying it so far. He's made me laugh out loud a few times with subtle humour, which I always appreciate, and the story seems to be rolling along on course so far. But I ain't that far in, so room for disappointment yet I guess.

Hmm...I've been reading FAR too much this week. Note to self : get a life and stop reading :P

Oh no, don't be sorry that you recommended The Handmaid's Tale. It's a quality read. I had to read it for school when I did my A-levels and I re-read it again recently for pleasure. It wasn't the same as reading it as a teenager, but that happens with lots of books. Things really reverberate when you are still finding out how the world works and who you are and stuff.

Plus, it may turn people onto other Atwood novels. She's a brilliant writer and deserves to be read. Bluebeard's Egg, a book of shorts is fantastic.

Btw, I just love your avatar SO much. :wub:

Currently reading Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey and am enjoying it so far, I can't wait for her next book to come out.

Love your avatar to, did you make it yourself.

Yup, thanks, but it looks kinda crappy on the new board, and i've lost the old white background version. *sigh*

Technically I'm reading Dark Tower VII by Stephen King and On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I say technically because I really can't set aside much time anymore. I have DT7 as on audio book on my ipod, so I listen to it when I go running. (But I've been slacking lately. :unsure: )

I really like On the Road. It speaks to me personally from the very first line. It probably helps that wandering west has always been a dream of mine, and is what I intend to do this summer.

As for the Dark Tower, I'm withholding judgment. I really did not like the last two books and this one, while faster in pace, is generally more of the same. We'll see.

Just finished listening to Jarhead by Anthony Swofford. Now I'm in a bit of dilemma over whether or not I want to taint the excellent audiobook with a movie I hear isn't all that great.

I'll be listening to the audiobook of AFFC next, since I've finished the hardcover and passed it along to the wife.

Finished Catherine Fisher´s Oracle, first on a YA fantasy series, a bit like the Tombs of Atuan. It was good, but not awesome, not sure I want to read the rest. Nice creepy atmosphere and setting, even if the worldbuilding was a little off to me - she really exagerates a drought to a level not sure any society would be sustainable there. It can be really desperately dry even when you can manage to get enough water to drink ( not enough water to grow food is already desperate enough).

Right now, just started Mary Renault´s Last of the Wine.

Still on again/of again reading the Baburname. Interesting stuff if you can get past all the genealogies. What I'm amazed at is the mortality... Obviously a wife was expected to survive her first three husbands!

Right now, just started Mary Renault´s Last of the Wine.

Ooooh. I just picked that up for 30p at a library sale last week. Lots of authors that I like recommend her stuff and I haven't gotten round to buying any of it until now. Do tell us what it is like.

Technically I'm reading Dark Tower VII by Stephen King and On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I say technically because I really can't set aside much time anymore. I have DT7 as on audio book on my ipod, so I listen to it when I go running. (But I've been slacking lately. :unsure: )

I really like On the Road. It speaks to me personally from the very first line. It probably helps that wandering west has always been a dream of mine, and is what I intend to do this summer.

As for the Dark Tower, I'm withholding judgment. I really did not like the last two books and this one, while faster in pace, is generally more of the same. We'll see.

Blimey, can you actually listen to audiobooks when you go running? I suppose it depends where you run (noise-wise) and how long for. I only started running about a month ago and the longest I run for is twenty minutes. I'm just used to having music on I suppose, which makes it kind of surreal if I ever forget my i-pod and have no soundtrack while running. I can't wait until the complete FOTR soundtrack is released as I think that'll be pretty cool to run to.

/hijack

Archived