Questions for GRRM at readings, signings, conventions, etc.

Maia

GRRM's program in Portugal is scarcely over and already a good question occurred to me - one that I didn't think of in time. I suggest that we collect all possible questions that have realistic chance of an answer in this thread, so that people who are going to meet GRRM could pick some if they so desire.

My question:

Why weren't the Tullys present at the Tourney of Harrenhal? It was one of the most brilliant public events in several years, it happened practically in their backyard, the Whents were rather close relatives and their future relatives the Starks were also there.

P.S. And after thinking about logistics of the period between Harrenhal and Lyanna's "abduction" a couple of other questions manifested themselves:

When did Benjen go back north after the Harrenhal tournament? Was he supposed to stay for Brandon's wedding, perhaps?

Was Kyle Royce, one of Brandon's companions, a Stark cousin, grandson of Lord Edwyn's sister who married a Royce of the junior branch?

Why didn't any of the younger Starks apart from Brandon visit Riverrun before the start of the war? Since they were down in the Riverlands for the Harrenhal tourney anyway.

[quote name='Mister Manticore' post='1436332' date='Jul 11 2008, 09.18']Who says they weren't? Not being mentioned is not proof they weren't there.[/quote]

Cat thought in her POV that she never saw Ned until their wedding. She also had no memories of Lyanna. And Ned didn't remember Tullys being there either - surely they would have sat with Brandon, their soon-to-be-in-law?

[quote]But in terms of actually being in the tournament...Edmund would have been too young, Hoster too old, and well, i don't know about the Blackfish.[/quote]

It was the greatest entertainment and society event likely to happen in the Riverlands for years. Even if they didn't participate, it is very strange that they didn't want to be there as spectators. Even Aerys came. And since then are late 30-ties, early 40-ties "too old" to enter a tournament? We have seen lots of knights of these ages and older competing.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's another possible question: In AGoT, it's mentioned that Lysa would not let the knights of the Vale participate in the Hand's tourney because she was so afraid. Yet Bronze Yohn Royce and his sons competed at the tourney. Was that an act of defiance toward Lysa?

Interesting question. My one thought is that Bronze Yohn had been at Joff's nameday tourney when Lord Arryn died, and nothing says he went to the Vale. If he remained in King's Landing instead, Lysa's command to the knights in the Vale wouldn't affect him, I suppose.

There was no Q&A for his reading at all today. He read from 'Mystery Knight' for the entire 90 minutes.

Also, I was informed that BWBers were asked not to attend his Coffeklatchs thingy tomorrow so that other fans might have a crack at him.

So, perhaps for the parties... but I don't know about that either.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1472082' date='Aug 7 2008, 18.13']LP,

You should assign a quiet BWBer to go to the Kaffeklatch to at least record the questions. Someone might happen upon something interesting.[/quote]

well, I'm sure that will get worked out... I can't do it.. he remembered me...

Incidentally, before the reading, Stego asked if it was going to be a Darkstar chapter, to which everyone laughed. Then he said that Ran wanted to know how old Darkstar was.

George got that 'i don't fucking know' look on his face, then replied that he had Ran to answer those sorts of questions.

As mentioned in the other thread: would the Tullys would still have backed Robert's Rebellion without one or both marriage contracts (Catelyn to first Brandon then Ned, and Lysa to Jon Arryn)?

*shakes his fist at George*

I wouldn't ask if I didn't know!

This is also why I suggested asking if he's older than Arianne, since he must know that.

But you know, this is bloody good enough. If he were Aegon or a guy who could pass himself as Aegon, George would know. ;)

Thanks for asking, Stego, and for reporting it, Luga. :)

[quote name='Ran' post='1472470' date='Aug 8 2008, 00.29']Aegon would be 17-18 or so, but yes, I think it rules out the theory in question. Heh. ;)[/quote]

Actually, I am more convinced by the 'if it mattered, GRRM would know off the top of his head' argument.

Would any of the attendees of the reading care to summarize what was read from "The Mystery Knight"?

Pretty please?

I'm especially interested in any mention of Bloodraven....

Archived