Lost Season 5 Thread 1

Werthead

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1668639' date='Jan 30 2009, 13.32']1. They probably don't want it near there camp, just in case something goes wrong.

2. They (or the island) most likely found a use for it, as the hatch was built where it was for a reason. I have a feeling it is tied to the bomb.

3. Why do you assume they are 12 miles away from the hatch?[/quote]

It took them a few hours to go from the beach to the creek to the Other area. It only takes a couple hours to get to the hatch from the beach. So it's definitely fairly far.

Again - it's a seriously large engineering undertaking to move a nuclear weapon miles and miles through jungle. This is the sort of thing that would destroy the forest for a while; making a path that large would make it clear for years and years. (not that Lost would acknowledge this). In addition, they'd be with a device that is leaking radiation for all that time. Or they could bury it in concrete first, but then it's even more difficult to move.

My gut feeling is that it goes off in the 70s, and that is the resulting action that makes the island visible to Dharma and causes them to visit.

I remember people accusing LOST of jumping the shark all the way back to the premiere of the second season when it was revealed that Desmond and Jack had met off the island. There has been no shark jumping yet, and the show is almost over.

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1668651' date='Jan 30 2009, 15.41']I remember people accusing LOST of jumping the shark all the way back to the premiere of the second season when it was revealed that Desmond and Jack had met off the island. There has been no shark jumping yet, and the show is almost over.[/quote]

I don't feel it has yet. And, I haven't followed the show extremely closely, I don't think I have ever re-watched an episode. If you guys are insisting that the time travel is helping close loopholes from earlier, I'll take it on faith. I still enjoy watching the show.

Time travel makes me nervous. That's all. In TV, but also in real life. :uhoh:

I just thought of something that may support the bomb being in the Swan hatch. Throughout the first and second seasons, there were lots of warning signs that opening the hatch was not a good idea; it has "Quarantine" written all over it, and Walt several times, in dreams or in person, warned John not to open it and told Shannon to stop pushing the button. Now, none of this was ever actually addressed in events in the show, and I always had the feeling that the writers at the time were just trying to make the hatch as eerie as possible and didn't really know where it all was going, but having a nuclear bomb down there does explain why the hatch was quarantined, and something with the button pressing may have involved the bomb. Now, if this is true, it's pretty lame that we never actually saw any effects from the bomb, but here is one area where time travel could be used to explain away a weaker plot point of the early seasons. Or I could be talking out of my ass.

Re: Jumping the shark. First of all, incorrect usage of the term, but no, I don't see how time travel becoming the center of the show is an idea which inherently makes the show suck from now, which is what I think you mean. This is a show that radically changes directions about once a season, and time traveling was definitely foreshadowed. I also think it is the best way to resolve a lot of the island's mysteries; I was worried that the last two seasons were going to be never ending exposition. And, since the episodes so far have been awesome (though that's only my opinion, of course) I'm not too worried.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1668649' date='Jan 30 2009, 16.39']It took them a few hours to go from the beach to the creek to the Other area. It only takes a couple hours to get to the hatch from the beach. So it's definitely fairly far.[/quote]

I thought the Swan was a 15 minute walk from the beach - isn't that what Juliet said in the season opener?

[url="http://bp2.blogger.com/_U3H2_6PxxNg/RhYzQuTYkYI/AAAAAAAAAIk/lgn4a9Y1_C8/s1600-h/lost_island_map_31.png"]Here's a map of the island. [/url]Not official, by any means, but seems pretty accurate.

If I had to guess I'd say the bomb was in the opening to the left of where it says Rousseau was at first.

It's in the vicinity of the stream (the Other who got killed said it was 2km east and then his neck got snapped.).

It's not that far away from the Swan, if that map is accurate.

[quote]I thought the Swan was a 15 minute walk from the beach - isn't that what Juliet said in the season opener?[/quote]Who knows, right? Some times it takes hours, some times they teleport. What I do know is that it took a few hours to get from the beach to the creek to the Other/bomb location, and it has taken substantially less to go from the hatch to the beach. Which means that it's likely it takes quite a while to go from the hatch to the bomb.

[quote name='Brahm_K' post='1668707' date='Jan 30 2009, 16.10']Re: Jumping the shark. First of all, incorrect usage of the term, but no, I don't see how time travel becoming the center of the show is an idea which inherently makes the show suck from now, which is what I think you mean. This is a show that radically changes directions about once a season, and time traveling was definitely foreshadowed. I also think it is the best way to resolve a lot of the island's mysteries; I was worried that the last two seasons were going to be never ending exposition. And, since the episodes so far have been awesome (though that's only my opinion, of course) I'm not too worried.[/quote]

Thank you for responding with your (lack of) concern. But I think you have misunderstood what I wrote.

I don't think I mis-used the colloquialism: I understand it to mean the point where a show (or situation) starts to trend towards absurdity. And I don't think this has happened yet, which is why I asked if there was any concern that the show would hit that point. I think Lost is still a very popular show and has less than 2 seasons left, it probably won't lose its audience.

I very specifically stated that I still watch the show and still enjoy the show. I don't know how you inferred that I think the show will suck from now on out of my stated question. Is it because I wrote that I think the show is losing it a little bit? I did concede later that I don't know everything about Lost and was going to take as true that this angle was actually helping close previously open gaps in the story.

That said, I honestly don't think this season has been as good as previous seasons. I haven't seen as much intensity from the characters this season. The plot has been interesting, but not totally engaging because it has jumped around so much (in time). I realize this is necessary at the moment, to bring everyone back together, but it has made the show LESS enjoyable. I still willingly spend my time watching it. But, I was very excited to see the season premier. Less excited to see this week's episode and am now less eager to see next week's episode.

I don't get why people keep trying to connect The Swan and the Bomb. The thing behind the concrete in the Swan was MAGNETIC, not radioactive.

And behind the concrete wall is [url="http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Incident_Room"]The Incident Room [/url](from that sucky ass game, but it's one of the few things from it that is actually canon).

Big reactor, big hole, no nuke.

I agree that there's something missing this season. There's no ... intensity. Last season felt pressured. The Freighter was here and shit was hitting the fan.

They've tried to do the same thing here with the whole "Get Back To The Island!!!", but it's just not working. I don't feel any huge sense of danger for the people still on the Island. There's no sense of urgency for the O6 to get back.

Okay, if it isn't the Army trying to blow open a hatch, then
1) what else could that hatchy steel-and-concrete thing under the tower be? Water tank of the Army, of the Others?
2) Who hung the bomb like that, and why? It doesn't strike me as the best way to store a nuke. And why over that hatch-thing? Was that tower just reused as bomb storage?

[quote]1) what else could that hatchy steel-and-concrete thing under the tower be? Water tank of the Army, of the Others?
2) Who hung the bomb like that, and why? It doesn't strike me as the best way to store a nuke. And why over that hatch-thing? Was that tower just reused as bomb storage?[/quote]The hatchy steel and concrete thing under the tower is a contact plate for detonating a nuclear bomb for testing.

The US army hung the bomb there to blow it up and test it. This was pretty common in the 50s. They actually said all this [i]during the episode[/i].

[quote name='Shryke' post='1668752' date='Jan 30 2009, 17.48']I agree that there's something missing this season. There's no ... intensity. Last season felt pressured. The Freighter was here and shit was hitting the fan.

They've tried to do the same thing here with the whole "Get Back To The Island!!!", but it's just not working. I don't feel any huge sense of danger for the people still on the Island. There's no sense of urgency for the O6 to get back.[/quote]

Eh. It's been three hours. And all three have had some serious juice to go with the fluff. No worries. :P

[quote name='The Kreb' post='1668768' date='Jan 30 2009, 22.58']Anyone else a bit pissed about the time traveling? To me its the biggest mistake since all of season three.[/quote]

If it carried on all season, I would agree. However:

SPOILER: Lost
Apparently it doesn't, and stops in the first seven or eight episodes.

I think it can be a useful plot device to show the history of the Island in a non-expositonary fashion and explain a lot of the mysteries behind the show, but it needs to be done more like this week's episode (which was straightforward) rather than episode one of this season, which was confusing and bonkers, although still an interesting change of pace.

Well, it's a similar situation to S4. At the end of S3 we knew that people got off the island...so a lot of the tension in S4 was basically not 'do they' but 'how do they', which is an inherently less tense question to answer. Same here; we know that Locke finds a way off the island, we know he dies, and we basically gather that the 6 are going to head back. It's not a matter of them doing it; it's a matter of how they do it. That's not that bad.

The time traveling jumps also inherently depower the characters. They can't really do anything about when they go or who they meet, so it's a bit like taking a tour. Some times they can, but most of the time...not so much. It makes their decisions less important. Still, the mechanic of telling people in the past things that they'll need to know in the future so that they don't suck...well, that's kinda interesting. It's still more tactical than strategic.

What's interesting to me is that I find the 6 storyline really, really dull. I don't care that much about them getting back. I'm far more intrigued by what's happening on the island, since that's filling in on so much backstory and plot. This is probably to do with the leads off the island though; Jack and Kate are inherently dull, Sayid spent a good portion of the show drugged, and Sun was being quiet and mysterious.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1668790' date='Jan 30 2009, 18.18']By the by, the creators weren't kidding when they were going to clear out some of the "extras" on the island, were they? Some blown up and some hit by flaming arrows... :P[/quote]

I'm anxiously looking forward to how they continue to dispatch the extras. Ironic arrow through the chest right as Frogurt was complaining about not having fire, I thought there wouldn't be any topping that. Then what happens? Guys getting blown up by [i]land mines[/i]. Why? Well, why not? I mean, the one guy getting blown like 20 yards perfectly parallel to the ground, that was awesome. If only they'd give him inexplicable speaking time the last couple of episodes, [i]that[/i] would have been your new Arzt situation there.

Archived