BwB Eurocommie Spring/Summer Meet-Up 2009

Werthead

Well I can only repeat that the beer is great!

However, there are plently of places in Europe that can be easily got to. I always wanted to check Berlin out and I would love to head back to Paris someday.

But York is fine with me.

Conor (vote for Prauge and we can go to the Hippo)

Its a numbers game. Because the biggest proportion of active Euro BwBers are in the UK, a UK location works best if we want to see the most number of people attend. That's why i'd give York my vote. Might as well see as many people as I can. :)

We have done smaller gatherings elsewhere in Europe but by definition they wouldn't be as easy for as many people.

The great thing about York is it's easy to get to for most of the UK folks, being pretty much bang in the middle. Horse racing sounds awesome fun - perfect event for 20 + people.

I'll be down there for a weekend or two before the event, so I can recce places.

Please make after March, or I won't make it.

I want to come seeing as I missed Galway :)

York sounds fine, but if people are willing to consider a non UK city then how about [b]Berlin[/b]? Easy for everyone to get too (and pretty cheap as far as I'm aware, from London at least). Though I've never been myself the city is supposedly awesome, and frankly sounds pretty ideal for a bwb meet - should be easy to find cheap apartments to stay in, cheap drinking, naturally tons of stuff to see and do. Also it's nicely located for everyone who isn't from the UK. Worth considerind at least, imo :)
[b]
[/b]Btw. I also vote for not doing this during the Easter holiday as I'll be in Israel then :)

Berlin is the best for me (;)), Prague would be nice as well. I could help with finding places in Berlin, if ever we decide to go there. Even if the next meeting is in York, I think it would be nice for the continental Europeans to have one of the following meeting places, closer to their own places. :)

[quote name='Red Sun' post='1527982' date='Sep 23 2008, 05.54']Even if the next meeting is in York, I think it would be nice for the continental Europeans to have one of the following meeting places, closer to their own places. :)[/quote]I'm not sure what you're saying here.

[quote name='Isis' post='1528049' date='Sep 23 2008, 09.19']I'm not sure what you're saying here.[/quote]

:blush: I'm sorry, sometimes my english abilities just fail me. I wanted to say that for those who don't live in the UK, meeting somewhere on the continent would be nice.

[quote name='Red Sun' post='1528068' date='Sep 23 2008, 08.41']:blush: I'm sorry, sometimes my english abilities just fail me. I wanted to say that for those who don't live in the UK, meeting somewhere on the continent would be nice.[/quote]It's okay, I thought that was what you meant, but I just wanted to make sure. :)

Berlin would be my second choice after York.

[quote name='Ser Sean' post='1528405' date='Sep 23 2008, 10.39']If we do choose York, I'll put my name forward to help with the organising but we'll need someone with a good local knowledge too (I'm looking at you Tomfoster).[/quote]

I know, I can see you out of my window. Pull your trousers up.

On an unrelated note, more than happy to chip into any York related organising. Spending a day at the race course is definitely a good shout - as mentioned it's a great way of keeping a large group of people busy/happy/drunk, and always good fun :)

Depending on how many days we're up there (and assuming, of course, that York is the eventual destination) we might think about kicking off with a walk around the city to see a few sites of historical interest. That'll give everyone a feel for the place and a vague sense of where's where, if they don't know already. Fri or Sat are good racing days. Sadly there's no punting on the river, but we could always chuck Slick in just for the hell of it.

Also, for the more culturally inclined, the minster and various other places often have early evening concerts of various sorts, which can be a good prelude to drinking for those who fancy pacing themselves.

[Edited because people "pacing" themselves might want to check out a concert, people "passing" themselves have already given up on pacing themselves - ooops!]

• 2 weeks later...
At the moment I am considering Finncon where george is attending.
Not sure if my budget can contain both.
But York does sound cool. We (the vikings) did put our axeprint on the city. And sadly my entire knowledge of York comes from watching Braveheart. So it would be nice to brush up on the historical aspects of the place.

But on behalf of the continental commies I would say that transport sounds dodgy.
What would you recommend?
A plane to Manchester followed by a trainride to York?
Can you fly to Manchester from the continent?

[quote name='Maester Joergensen' post='1543105' date='Oct 5 2008, 11.13']A plane to Manchester followed by a trainride to York?
Can you fly to Manchester from the continent?[/quote]

Yes, but it depends on how far you want to travel for an earport. I know that easyjet goes from Berlin to Manchester. That's what I'm planning, if York is chosen and the date is convenient.

[quote name='Red Sun' post='1543116' date='Oct 5 2008, 11.59']Yes, but it depends on how far you want to travel for an earport. I know that easyjet goes from Berlin to Manchester. That's what I'm planning, if York is chosen and the date is convenient.[/quote]
Perhaps it would be aysier to find a plane to London and take the train from there. But going to be a long trainride i guess. You can fly to London from everywhere in the world.
I could off course research this myself...
Naaah... I wil just wait for someone in the thread to do it for me.

Archived