BwB Eurocommie Spring/Summer Meet-Up 2009

Werthead

Glad you're gonna try and go with the majority, Wert. ;)

I had a look at the link and it looks good. There are a couple of points I would make tho':
1) If we had more than 20 people then it would be an extremely tight squeeze with both of those flats (notice that it says the first flat can be adapted to accommodate 12...).
2) We're still gonna get charged per head at the equivalent of £30/night.

We'll have to think about something to do on the Friday and Saturday night. As most of us have discovered before, it helps to have some sort of structure to the proceedings, so anyone with any knowledge of York, feel free to weigh in and help us clueless bods out!

N

[quote name='Chaldanya' post='1521697' date='Sep 17 2008, 18.11']Glad you're gonna try and go with the majority, Wert. ;)[/quote]

to be precise, York is not a majority vote atm.

going through the thread, 5 people specifically voted for York (Chal, Sean, GoN, tomfoster, slick), 5 for Krakow (Ice, me, BoG, RedSun and Luzi) and one person said she likes either (eef eef). Others just kind of assumed it's going to be York.

Just saying ;)

If it was in York I should be able to make it ;) (I could get there in less than 2 hours and really like the place) Could possibly do a preliminary reccie but I'm probably not the best person to do this, cos my tastes are probably not the same as most people's... but I'd be better than nothing. I'll monitor the thread and if things look as if they might head York-wards I'll let you know if/when I can volunteer some time to help.

[quote name='Chaldanya' post='1521697' date='Sep 17 2008, 11.11']We'll have to think about something to do on the Friday and Saturday night. As most of us have discovered before, it helps to have some sort of structure to the proceedings, so anyone with any knowledge of York, feel free to weigh in and help us clueless bods out!

N[/quote]

Assuming you mean in terms of boozing there's no shortage of bars in York, though they do officially fall short of the 365 they advertise. As far as structures go, there's loads of possibilities. The Micklegate Mile is a good theme, but it can be quite studenty. We can do a run of "classic" pubs (Lendell Cellars was a bomb shelter during the WWII; The King's Head is one of the oldest pubs in England, and has notches in the wall marking how high it's flooded every years for the last century or so, and there are others). There's a good stretch of pubs along the river with balconies overlooking the water.

There are posher pubs, spit and sawdust pubs, quiet pubs and kareoke pubs.

There are two clubs: the Gallery (complete with faux chandelier) and the ironically named Toffs. Both of them are friendly, cheap and have at least one room of cheesy/dance music on any given night.

It really depends what people want to do. Assuming it does come down to York (and there's plenty of time to get the votes out for Krakow ;) ) it's probably best to see what appeals to people, and work a structure from there. Pretty much anything can be accomodated.

[quote name='Chaldanya' post='1521697' date='Sep 17 2008, 17.11']1) If we had more than 20 people then it would be an extremely tight squeeze with both of those flats (notice that it says the first flat can be adapted to accommodate 12...).
2) We're still gonna get charged per head at the equivalent of £30/night.[/quote]
Very good point. I didn't notice the price. We should be able to save a lot of money foodwise though. Stock up and one (in theory) doesn't have to eat any food at restaurants/takeaways. Even drinkwise, cheaper to drink in a flat than at a pub. But now is the time to mention if people think it is worth looking elsewhere. :)

We did squeeze a lot more people in that Dublin house than technically allowed but that was a big house, so it may have been more flexible.

Not sure do we need a "dinner night" as such. We are going to eat somewhere. :P

I am fine with a trip horse racing. :)

[quote name='tomfoster' post='1522126' date='Sep 17 2008, 22.27']Assuming you mean in terms of boozing there's no shortage of bars in York, though they do officially fall short of the 365 they advertise. As far as structures go, there's loads of possibilities.[/quote]

Well not necessarily so. But I do think something needs to be organised for the night, whether it's hiring out a room in a bar for a night or finding something organised (I'm thinking of the Ceilidh in Edinburgh) - it's always wise to have these options or people just mill around and the weekend can feel formless. I'm sure there's no shortage of pubs etc. Maybe a pub walk? They're always fun. Of course provided York ends up being chosen ;)

I like the idea of horse racing. You don't have to bet at all if you don't want to.

[quote name='Padraig' post='1522213' date='Sep 17 2008, 23.59']Very good point. I didn't notice the price. We should be able to save a lot of money foodwise though. Stock up and one (in theory) doesn't have to eat any food at restaurants/takeaways. Even drinkwise, cheaper to drink in a flat than at a pub. But now is the time to mention if people think it is worth looking elsewhere. :)[/quote]

Hmm, saving money foodwise. I'm not so sure and here's why. 20 people with 20 different shopping needs for their food. So it's either wait 4 hours to get into the kitchen or some poor sod ends up doing all the cooking - it's OK for one meal, but 5 or 6? Even given the flat and the kitchen, I'd still be inclined to eat out more often than not...

But as has been said previously York isn't even definite. IMHO, we need to have a period for nominations of the city; then open voting for a month and then when it's decided start looking at accommodation options. I'd go with York now, but I know a lot of people haven't weighed in yet...

N

[quote name='Chaldanya' post='1522732' date='Sep 18 2008, 12.31']Hmm, saving money foodwise. I'm not so sure and here's why. 20 people with 20 different shopping needs for their food. So it's either wait 4 hours to get into the kitchen or some poor sod ends up doing all the cooking - it's OK for one meal, but 5 or 6? Even given the flat and the kitchen, I'd still be inclined to eat out more often than not...[/quote]
Fair point. Just thought i'd throw that option in since £30 may seem steep to people. Depends what people do. Some might eat in more than others. Anyhow, agreed that we need to first decide for definite on York and then open the floor to housing suggestions. Although, I really can't see York been beaten unless a lot of people change their minds.

We have plenty time, so may as well leave things open for another month. :)

Ok, here's the thing.
All the really good meets have had a loose structure and planned events - Edinburgh = Ceilidh, London = Karaoke and 10th anniversary party, Oxford = Boating and our own party/karaoke.
The ones that fade in the memory are always the ones where all we do is sit in a quiet pub and drink (which is fine by me btw but it just doesn't lend a sense of occassion).

When we have an activity/event to do, it gets everyone together as a group and breaks away from the norm.

Just as an example ;) - In York, if we did the Horse racing and then maybe a karaoke pub on the friday.
Then on Saturday, we could hire a room/section of a pub out and have a bwb only event, then move on to a cheesy club (preferably one where we had already spoken to the management, so we didn't have to negotiate surly bouncers) to bop the night away.
Sound like a good weekend?

[b]OR

[/b]We could just all meet up as and when and just hang in a pub.

There for what it's worth is my opinion

Rant over :)

In case I wasn't clear earlier I'm definitely voting for York. :)

I thoroughly approve of Sean's suggestion of 'doing stuff' apart from just sitting in the pub. Apparently there is, like, some cultural shit available in York. I'll look into that and see if there is anything that people might fancy doing in the daytime on a Saturday.

Yeah, forgot to add that we could do any of the following in the day too and none of them would take much organising - York Minster, Jorvik (Viking exhibition), the York Dungeon (which I have done and it's good fun), Boat trips, Castle Museum, Yorkshire Museum, Cliffords Tower or if your that way inclined, the National Railway museum.

Here's a handy linky - [url="http://www.visityork.org/"]York tourist thingy[/url].[url="http://www.visityork.org/thedms.asp?dms=13&param1=mustsee&venue=1500193&campaign=11"]
[/url]

Thirded. I don't have any real preference as to location - Poland, Krakow, it's all good. :) But York sounds nice, and horse racing days are fun.

If we wanted to save money on food by self-catering, we could have a cooking rota - two or three people feed the lot of us each night on a budget. I'd cook, certainly.

In the immortal words of Dr. Nick . . . .

Hello Everybody!

York would be fine - I echo one poster, as long as the pubs are good.

However, may I suggest somewhere else. What about Prague. I know it is a bit farther away but it is a great place to visit for a couple of days. I would offer my services as tour guide. The beer is second to none and everything is cental and beautifully connected by soviet era transport.

It is still relatively cheap. Or if you want to a bit further east how about Brataslavia?

Conor.

Archived