I heard the Malazan books are good

Darkstar8

Opinion is split on the matter. I enjoyed it enough for the first couple books. But my enjoyment level dropped precipitously the third book onward and I dropped the whole thing in the middle of the 5th book. Just found it unreadable after a while. His strongest book by far is the second, about the only time he transcends a rough label of 'above average'. His prose isn't weak per se, but its nothing to write home about. His characterization is...redundant (think badass, soldier, talkative wacko and whiner...99% of his characters will fall into one of those 4 groups. Many of them will be quite indecipherable from others in the same group) With one notable exception, his characters aren't terribly strongly written. But he does do badass quite well. (though its diminished due to the fact that so many characters fall into that category)

It is one of the major epic fantasy series's in the genre and it has alot of fans, so it may be worth a look due to that. But if you're not hooked after the second book, its probably not worth bothering with the rest.

The main reasons I love the series are its epic scope, strong theme-based style of storytelling where every volume seems to have it's own running philosophical stance, and the enduring prevalence of heavily burdened characters who inevitably succumb to the greater, damning truth of their world's endless capacity for violent conflict. I've read the first five, and they all feel substantial to me, and all in their own way. While the depth of characterization and plotting isn't quite as precise as what you get with a Martin, for instance, the ideas that Erikson uses to build his novels make him one of my favorites working within the epic subgenre.

If you don't mind his style, there are some really good elements (Chain of Dogs, Itkovian and the original Gray Swords, a couple others). I read it up through Reaper's Gale. Now, however, I'm not feeling all that compelled to get the latest one. Not saying I won't ever get it, I might, I might not, just saying my interest has definitely waned.

Well, it's really Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice that have the strongest finales. Deadhouse Gates was an extremely powerful read. It drags a bit in the beginning and starts up only in the middle for a huge explosion in the end. It's not something for you if you like in depth character descriptions and want to know the full motivations for everything, but if you like the larger scale it is fabulous.

I have found you also almost need to read large chunks in one sitting to make it "work". I made that mistake with my first sitting of "Memories of Ice" and also with "Toll the Hounds". I feel like I lose the immersion if I take breaks or read something else etc. and it just will not have the same effect.

That being said, Erikson has probably written one of the strongest and most unusual female characters in Fantasy literature.

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1651130' date='Jan 16 2009, 12.00']Well, it's really Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice that have the strongest finales. Deadhouse Gates was an extremely powerful read.[/quote]

I enjoyed Midnight Tides too (it's got a different tone to earlier ones, but it's my second favourite book), and as much as the rest of both books was a little disappointing, the endings of both Bonehunters and Toll the Hounds were great.

[quote]Should I just go straight to the last chapter then?[/quote]
Maybe on the last two I mentioned... >_>

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1651124' date='Jan 16 2009, 04.47']Should I just go straight to the last chapter then?[/quote]

Unfortunately, his "awesome endings" also contain deus ex machina for resolution, and this includes DG. In fact, each of the first four books* use it to greater or lesser extent. If this gets on your nerves, like it does mine, those awesome endings come off as irrevocably cheapened.

*not sure about the later books, I stopped at [i]HoC[/i].

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1651130' date='Jan 16 2009, 05.00']That being said, Erikson has probably written one of the strongest and most unusual female characters in Fantasy literature.[/quote]

Felisin? She's the only female character I can remember as having much of a personality at all, but I didn't read very far so maybe one of the others was better developed.

[quote name='L'Sana' post='1651744' date='Jan 16 2009, 15.39']Felisin? She's the only female character I can remember as having much of a personality at all, but I didn't read very far so maybe one of the others was better developed.[/quote]

I believe that's the one most people bring up in the conversation. Personally, I don't see it.

Is anybody else surprised at how tame this thread has been?

I don't think it's a completely love or hate series, because I'm pretty middle of the road about it. I like certain aspects of it and loathe others.

I'll keep reading because I've invested so much time already, but I'm definitely not dying to get to the ending (like aSoIaF).

[quote name='L'Sana' post='1651744' date='Jan 16 2009, 21.39']Felisin? She's the only female character I can remember as having much of a personality at all, but I didn't read very far so maybe one of the others was better developed.[/quote]Probably. We had a thread about it once, and if I can remember, those who heap praise on her character do so because they have to imagine her development. I mean, Erikson only presents the end result, so to speak, and the argument was made that she is so awesome because of what he didn't write.

Me, I think it's only because she is a deeply original character in fantasy that she gets this treatment, but that like the rest of Erikson's cast, she isn't written well and shines somehow [i]despite[/i] it, not because of it.

I can see the potential, but I have never felt close to be convinced she is more than wasted potential in the hands of Erikson.

Of course, if I remember correctly, there was also this argument, last time, that most men could not understand. :dunno:

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1651835' date='Jan 16 2009, 21.36']Is anybody else surprised at how tame this thread has been?

I don't think it's a completely love or hate series, because I'm pretty middle of the road about it. I like certain aspects of it and loathe others.

I'll keep reading because I've invested so much time already, but I'm definitely not dying to get to the ending (like aSoIaF).[/quote]

I agree here. There's this perception that it's either one t'other, but I don't think I've ever come across anyone who genuinely hated it. There've been people who didn't bother to get past the first 200 pages, but even there it's a case of "too much effort, not enough to hook me" than the "it was fucking awful shit" that some authors attract. There's lots of people who are 'meh' and lots who love it, but very few who despise it/

It's just that it's one of those series you like despite the fairly numerous flaws, so when discussion of the flaws does come up, it's easy to sound more down on it than you are. I mean, I know I come across like hating TtH (and it was a fair disappointment), but I love the series and will certainly not be quitting any time soon.

[quote name='Errant Bard' post='1651842' date='Jan 16 2009, 22.38']I can see the potential, but I have never felt close to be convinced she is more than wasted potential in the hands of Erikson.[/quote]
That is definitely true considering that
SPOILER: House of Chains
after developing her character in Deadhouse Gates Erikson chooses to first erase her personality and then kill her in House of Chains.

I assumed the female in question was Apsalar; she's the most interesting to me at least.

That being said, there's no reason to listen to the people who advise against reading the series. It's certain that plenty of people absolutely love the series, and no one will know if you will besides you, yourself. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

[quote name='End of Disc One' post='1652033' date='Jan 16 2009, 18.06']That being said, there's no reason to listen to the people who advise against reading the series. It's certain that plenty of people absolutely love the series, and no one will know if you will besides you, yourself. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.[/quote]

Sage advice. It's frightening to think how wise you will be when you make it through disc two.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Brady' post='1650461' date='Jan 15 2009, 15.51']Skip GOTM and go straight to Deadhouse Gates. it was the best one in the series.[/quote]

Aye.

[quote name='polishgenius' post='1650609' date='Jan 15 2009, 17.41']Except don't, because you'll be thoroughly bewildered for the majority.[/quote]

The advice of reading DG first was always, Read DG THEN read MoI. People never bother with that bit since this has come up so often,

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1651835' date='Jan 16 2009, 15.36']Is anybody else surprised at how tame this thread has been?[/quote]

No, people have already vented most of their spleen and don't really get fussed about it anymore. People will either love, like or hate the series - its hard to get worked up by it after so many years.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1652133' date='Jan 16 2009, 20.21']No, people have already vented most of their spleen and don't really get fussed about it anymore. People will either love, like or hate the series - its hard to get worked up by it after so many years.[/quote]

Did you not check out the threads Paxter linked? The first one ended at the end of Oct. 2008, and it got pretty heated. So, it is pretty surprising that it's "hard to get worked up by it after [s]so many years.[/s]" err... three months.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1652147' date='Jan 16 2009, 21.38']Did you not check out the threads Paxter linked? The first one ended at the end of Oct. 2008, and it got pretty heated. So, it is pretty surprising that it's "hard to get worked up by it after [s]so many years.[/s]" err... three months.[/quote]

No, I didn't. I figured I have already posted in most if not all the Erikson threads. Besides, no one should need to be told if they will like something or not, esp when they don't give any likes or dislikes as an example.

For example, someone says, 'I liked [insert several examples], do you think [this nifty new author/book] will be to my taste? Then you can give an educated opinion, provided you have read the example books as well. When someone gives the most generic adjective ever, not to mention subjective, (good), then what the hell do you say? Good enough to not burn? Should only be used for toilet paper? May as well read Oprah's wankery book list.

Its hard to get worked up about something that is good, or nice. meh.

Edit: yeah, it has been years for me. Like back from the old board years. Cuz like, I read it [url="http://www.amazon.ca/Gardens-Moon-Steven-Erikson/dp/0765348780/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232168658&sr=1-6"]forever[/url] ago and we talked about it then. Like, five years ago. I call that years, not three months. Or do you think the very first and only thread was from then???

Archived