The NFL Thread

Week

It's remarkable to me how Albert Haynesworth has transformed himself from "the guy who stomped on the other guy's head" into a $100 million dollar man. It seems to me like this is one of those things where there's a notable lack of sustained outrage over something that you really ought to see continued outrage. I mean, yeah, there is probably one dumb guy every week who does something to get a 15 yard personal foul penalty for shoving someone out of bounds or a late hit or whatever, but this is part of the territory, right? You want a little anger in your football players because that means they are hungry.

But I think there's several orders of magnitude between the anger that causes someone to fail to put on the brakes and bounce off the QB, and the anger that causes someone to [i]stomp on the unprotected head of another player[/i]. Two years ago, mind you - not a very significant amount of time. I would not want anything to do with that mess.

Jets are getting Bart Scott. He is going to replace Eric Barton. That should help but $40 million is a ton. They still need a QB and WR.

They are also going after Chris Kemoeatu. I don't know anything about him except that he replaced Alan Facneca last year and he is real big.

Edited to add:

Kemoeatu stayed with the Steelers. So now the Jets need a RG.

[quote name='anguy' post='1702606' date='Feb 27 2009, 15.37']MeAngelo Hall is the luckiest guy on earth. I mean he will cash maybe up to 20 million $ in 12 months or so? And all this for playing shit in Oakland and just above average in Washington.[/quote]

Yup -It makes giving Haynesworth all that cake the smartest move ever...
I am in the camp that Big Albert was/has been playing for this paycheck/way out of TEN for 2 years now. He can now go back to being the leisurely dominant force when he feels like it.

But giving DeAngelo all that money might be one of the worst FA signinngs I have seen in a long time. 20 million for a slow CB who is a total head case in the locker room is just what the Skins don't need. Snyder should have learned already that the NFL isn't baseball, you can't just buy a championship. How many times can they throw money at alleged "big time" FA and have nothing to show but underachievment and utter disapointment at the end of the year??? How many times have they made the playoffs in the past 10 years - 2? 3? and with thier payroll and no hardware to show?

From Don Banks' column today on the Haynesworth and Hall signings:

[quote name='Don Banks' date=' Sports Illustrated']Running a search for Redskins free-agent signings of the past this morning, I came upon this rather ironic quote by owner Daniel Snyder: "Those that know how to succeed know how to not make the same mistake over and over again. That's how you succeed, and that's something I've done all my life.''

Snyder reportedly said that on Feb. 25, 2001, just before free agency opened that year, and no doubt was reflecting on the huge free-agent failures endured by his '00 team -- which was billed as the NFL's first $100 million salaried roster.

Today, with the Redskins having handed Haynesworth a deal worth $100 million all by itself, you wonder if history is again repeating itself? You wonder if the Redskins are making the same mistake over and over again? And you wonder why anyone in Washington would be all that confident that things will turn out differently this time?[/quote]
[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/02/27/haynesworth/index.html?eref=T1"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ex.html?eref=T1[/url]

That's right, Danny Boy. You sure have avoided making the same mistake over and over again.

Sources say Brian Dawkins signed 2 year deal with Broncos. Funny I never thought he would leave Philly. That's great, our safeties were horrible last year. He can still be a force for next 2 years and mentor youg Josh Barret. Now we should just pick young safety in 2nd round of draft. The rumour is that Ray Lewis may sign with Broncos too. Jets showed they want Scott and Dallas has no cap room, so it's Denver or Baltimore, it looks like.

ETA: Dawkins signing still unconfirmed.

So naturally I got mixed feelings.

On the one hand, yeah, I'm psyched about the opportunity to see Haynesworth stomp on Gurode's head twice a season. Part of me thinks he signed with the Cowboys' hated rival solely for this opportunity. Reminds me of the Onion article: [url="http://www.theonion.com/content/node/53699"]Suspended Tackle Albert Haynesworth: 'I Just Wanted To Make Sure The Guy Was Dead'[/url]. As for the $100 million that was spent, well, the only number that concerns me is the $40 million guaranteed. The Redskins have [i]never[/i] payed a guy the full value of their reported contract (he'll either get restructured or cut in the later years) and I find it disappointing that newspapers continue to report the $100 million as though it were anything more than the funny money it is. This ain't baseball. This ain't basketball. Guys never see the full value of their contracts. Only their agents reap the benefits of it being reported that way.

Anyway, it's still a ton to play for a guy who has character and injury issues. I think I would've preferred Cerrato and Danny to show some self-restraint for once and use that money instead on Canty and Dockery, both lower priced guys that could fill crucial needs and added to the team's stability. But when I'm honest with myself, I realize that I'm a bit relieved that if they're blowing their wad on the first day of Free Agency (as usual) might as well blow it on the best guy available. This ain't Adam Archuleta and Brandon Lloyd. This was the single most disruptive defensive player in the league last year. If you're going to overpay, overpay for the best. You get no benefit by overpaying for the guys who even when they work out end up being within one standard deviation of average. That just means you paid double what you could've had if you just drafted the damn guy in the third or fourth round. Elite players are different. And while I know the future got a whole lot more murky, I can't get past my excitement for what this season will bring, seeing what this beast can do...especially when paired with speed rushers like Jason Taylor and Andre Carter. He is [i]exactly[/i] what the fundamentally excellent but not particularly frightening Redskin defense needed. They ranked #4 last year, but if Haynesworth plays like he's capable and doesn't get fat and happy, then they just became one of the truly elite defenses in the league. And the only reason I have to believe that Haynesworth [i]isn't[/i] the next Dana Stubblefield is that he did stomp on Gurode's head...that he does have that anger streak. (Yes, I actually spun that into a positive...you would too if your team signed Fat Albert.) The Redskin roster was one of two in the entire league last year that didn't have a [i]single [/i]incident to make PFT's turd report. I liked rooting for a locker room full of genuinely good guys and I'm concerned Haynesworth and Hall, could disrupt that. But I also think the strong locker room gives the team more leeway to take on character risks. Or at least that's what I tell myself now.

So $100 million? I'm fine with it. Really the thing that bothers me, like others in the thread, is the $50 million for DeAngelo Hall. You would've thought last year's disaster in Oakland would've killed his value. He was a travesty. Yes, he played well as a Redskin..but he was also angling for a new contract. And even playing well as a Redskin, there were plays where he was flat toasted but the QB just missed the throw. I like his playmaking ability (seeing him for 8 weeks I can say it is legit..he has a mini-Deon Sanders ballhawking sense of when to jump the route) but I'm not convinced he's got the type of work ethic that'll ever make him elite. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not counting on it.

Still I can't help it, I'm now excited for the new season. Really want to see what this defense is capable of.

if i didn't pull for atlanta, it would be washington. haynesworth is a beast, in more ways than one *face stomp*, but in no way, shape or form is he worth his contract. granted, he's never gonna play it out but still :dunno:

his pressure up the middle will make deangelo look good; make no bones about it. however, the thing that is gonna stall him is the play of carlos rogers. CR is the reason why everyone is spilling their guts about why in the world they didn't resign springs.

no coordinator in their right mind is gonna pick on carlos. because of that, when opposing teams pass the ball, it is gonna be to deangelo's side more often than not. so, we'll see. IMO, without the signing of haynesworth, hall isn't signed. well, he may have been signed but his agent never would've been able to get that contract.

hall, i feel, is in for a world of hurt...just like in oakland. i say this because albert, despite his contract, isn't gonna be in the backfield on every play. in addition to that, most teams know not to pass to carlos' side. so, it'll be pick, pick, pick on deangelo and, sooner rather than later, he'll be exposed.

it'll be then that the redskins realize that they should've kept a hungry, team player like springs.

deangelo is one of those players that stick their noses to the grindstone when money is on the line. he's not alone, to be sure, but he sticks out like a sore thumb. if it were up to deangelo, it'd be the washington halls. he believes, unfortunately, that he is THAT good.

if sean were still around, i'd take a rogers/springs/taylor secondary over a rogers/hall/taylor secondary any day of the week...and so would pundits and any coaching staff worth their salt.

their offense is a different story but if they stick with campbell, get him some receivers (not counting cooley) and quit trying to teach him an entirely new offense every offseason, they'll be fine. if they don't do it soon, then they'll have to start worrying about who they are gonna replace portis with and then they'll go right back to being fucked.

they aren't the baltimore ravens.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1703432' date='Feb 28 2009, 13.32']I am dying here waiting to find out what my Patriots are getting for Vrabel and Cassel.[/quote]
[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/28/chiefs.trade.for.cassel/index.html"]A second round draft pick.[/url]

[quote name='Trystane' post='1703440' date='Feb 28 2009, 13.41'][url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/28/chiefs.trade.for.cassel/index.html"]A second round draft pick.[/url][/quote]

insanity.

i thought that the pats made smarter moves than this. vrabel is in the twilight of his career, sure, but that is a one sided deal if i ever heard one.

i guess they save the franchise money cassell was due, don't they?

Well I think the people thinking that a first round pick and a later pick for Cassel was insanity. The guy is in a great system there, people just weren't buying in that he would be great with lesser personal around him. In light of that a high second round pick for him seems fine. Tossing in Vrabel for free seems a bit odd, think you might have been able to get a 2nd and maybe 4th or 5th for the both of them.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1703432' date='Feb 28 2009, 10.32']Winslow certainly is not one of their best players. Potential? Maybe, best no. I am dying here waiting to find out what my Patriots are getting for Vrabel and Cassel.[/quote]

Winslow was their only reliable receiving threat last year, I thought they would shop Edwards before Winslow. I think he only has a couple of good years left, but I was still was surprised.

Trading Cassel for a number 2 :dunno: , I thought they could have gotten more for him closer to the draft.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1703461' date='Feb 28 2009, 14.02']Well I think the people thinking that a first round pick and a later pick for Cassel was insanity. The guy is in a great system there, people just weren't buying in that he would be great with lesser personal around him. In light of that a high second round pick for him seems fine. Tossing in Vrabel for free seems a bit odd, think you might have been able to get a 2nd and maybe 4th or 5th for the both of them.[/quote]

that's the point i was trying to make. vrabel, regardless of where he is in his career is overkill. if anything, like you said, there should have also been a later round pick added for the two of them...makes much more sense.

a first AND later pick for cassell alone is also madness, i agree.

[quote name='mister cobble' post='1703479' date='Feb 28 2009, 13.17']that's the point i was trying to make. vrabel, regardless of where he is in his career is overkill. if anything, like you said, there should have also been a later round pick added for the two of them...makes much more sense.

a first AND later pick for cassell alone is also madness, i agree.[/quote]

But many people (like King) were thinking that it would make sense for a team in the top 10 to send a first rounder and a later pick to NE instead of drafting someone like Stafford. In the end of it though a 5th round pick for the most part is pretty meaningless. Which surprises me that they couldn't get that in addition to the 2nd for 2 of them. I'm guessing the economic considerations were pretty strong here, since they're taking two very big contracts off NE's hands. Bill Simmons had a good article yesterday on the state of NBA finances, and while the NFL is better off for sure it has to be affecting them too.

Archived