The NFL Thread

Week

For a leader of a football team, Donovan McNabb says more [url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/"]stupid[/url] shit than anyone:

[quote]During a 610 WIP-AM interview, McNabb’s response to a question about why the Eagles couldn’t respond offensively after the Cardinals’ touchdown in the final minutes suggested that the defense was at fault for squandering a slight lead.

“We were up, 25-24,” McNabb said, per the Inquirer. “We were up, 25-24. [The Cardinals] drove down 72 yards by running the ball - probably, what, eight times? And it reminded me so much of [the NFC championship game in] St. Louis where, [b]coming back in that second half, they ran the ball nine times with Marshall Faulk to keep our offense off the field. Because they were terrified of us going back out and scoring more points.[/b]”[/quote]

STFU! The defense carried you all season long! No way you even sniffs the NFC Championship game without the defense dominating all year. He should be kissing their feet, not bitching about this one time where they couldn't stop a great offense.

You'd think after all he's been through, he'd think before he speaks.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote]You'd think after all he's been through, he'd think before he speaks.[/quote]You would? This is McNabb.

Also, Harrison's done in Indy. No surprise, but it's still a shame. One of the only great QB-receiver duos is gone.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1698381' date='Feb 24 2009, 15.44']If it's not true, it's the most likely thing ever. Overpriced player that doesn't fit the needs of a team but is awesome? Redskins say SIGN ME UP.[/quote]

How in God's green earth does he not fit the needs of the Redskins?

[quote]How in God's green earth does he not fit the needs of the Redskins?[/quote]Because the Redskins didn't need anything on defense, and they certainly didn't need one really expensive player on their line. They already had a very strong rush defense, and their pass defense was passable (hah). What they sucked at was generating points, especially when key players were injured. This is always the case with the Redskins; because of their high cap numbers they have poor depth, and when invariably one person gets injured they lose a lot.

I'm sure Haynesworth will do fine and be a force, but I don't see how having another player on a good line makes their offense score more.

ETA: their defense according to NFL.com ranked in the top ten [url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/washingtonredskins/statistics?team=WAS"]in every category[/url]. But they were 28th in the league in points scored. Again, don't think this was a big thing of weakness for 'em.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1698390' date='Feb 24 2009, 15.49']Because the Redskins didn't need anything on defense, and they certainly didn't need one really expensive player on their line. They already had a very strong rush defense, and their pass defense was passable (hah). What they sucked at was generating points, especially when key players were injured. This is always the case with the Redskins; because of their high cap numbers they have poor depth, and when invariably one person gets injured they lose a lot.

I'm sure Haynesworth will do fine and be a force, but I don't see how having another player on a good line makes their offense score more.

ETA: their defense according to NFL.com ranked in the top ten [url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/washingtonredskins/statistics?team=WAS"]in every category[/url]. But they were 28th in the league in points scored. Again, don't think this was a big thing of weakness for 'em.[/quote]

Don't watch much Redskins games do you? They have no push from the middle. He is a better pass rusher than all the other DT's combined and frees up more space for Carter and Taylor. Do they need more defense? Not necessarily, neither did the Ravens when they picked up Siragusa. And it's Washington, the Cap means jack shit as they'll just backload every contract till after next year when there is no cap anyways.

[quote name='grozeng' post='1698376' date='Feb 24 2009, 16.39']USA Today has a player note saying Albert Haynseworth to sign with the Redskins. Is this true?[/quote]

I highly doubt they have enough cap space to pay him even with backloaded contract. And yes I think their priority should be offense and OL. And I'm not sure Albert is worth that such big contract. Remember he played great for last 2 years but sucked before. When he gets fat guaranteed contract he may lost his fire. And there's always injury risk...

Speaking about big deals, what do you guys think about Asomugha (spelling) 45-50 mil. for 3 years? Oakland will surely not leave cap hell until Al Davis is alive. What's funny is the fact that now they probably must keep Javon Walker, too big cap hit if he was cut.

[quote name='anguy' post='1698656' date='Feb 24 2009, 19.54']I highly doubt they have enough cap space to pay him even with backloaded contract. And yes I think their priority should be offense and OL. And I'm not sure Albert is worth that such big contract. Remember he played great for last 2 years but sucked before. When he gets fat guaranteed contract he may lost his fire. And there's always injury risk...[/quote]

Now who owns the Redskins? Sadly they used to have the best owner in the game but now, well DS is only a face lift away from being Jerry Jones.

I feel really bad for Asomugha. He's the best cornerback in 15 years and he's going to be stuck in Oakland for the rest of his life while Al Davis fucks the team over in various ways and makes horrible decisions left and right.

he's worth that kind of money. He's a cornerback that literally erases an offense's first weapon. He's so good that statisticians had to start making allowances for him - because [i]he wasn't thrown at enough to give statistically relevant data[/i]. It's worth it for that level of contract, especially going into a potential non-CBA world.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1698694' date='Feb 24 2009, 20.29']he's worth that kind of money. He's a cornerback that literally erases an offense's first weapon. He's so good that statisticians had to start making allowances for him - because [i]he wasn't thrown at enough to give statistically relevant data[/i]. It's worth it for that level of contract, especially going into a potential non-CBA world.[/quote]

I disagree. I think no corner is worth that money. Raiders were terrible even with Aso. Our defense sucked even with healthy Champ. On the other hand who are the corners in Pittsburgh or Tenesee? Corners are overrated, pass rush is much more important today. It can make average corners look good and good ones bad. Just look what happened with Cromartie (and whole SD pass defense) when Merroidman went down.

But I don't think it's that bad deal for Aso. I think the contract says that he can walk already after 2 years. If they want him for the 3rd his whole contract will be guarranteed. And they cannot franchise him again. So he can make more money than Manning or Brady in next 2-3 years and than go to some better team to get his ring (he'll be just 30 after all).
But it doesn't make any sense for Oakland (what a surprise, ha). Franchising him would be cheaper (app. 10 mil. /year) and it's not like this contract is especially long term, when compared to tag, 2 years are short time to improve the team (especially in cap hell) and than he'll be gone and they will recieve nothing in return.

[quote name='anguy' post='1698808' date='Feb 24 2009, 18.25']I disagree. I think no corner is worth that money. Raiders were terrible even with Aso. Our defense sucked even with healthy Champ. On the other hand who are the corners in Pittsburgh or Tenesee?[/quote]

McFadden and Ike Taylor.

And they are both excellent.

[quote name='anguy' post='1698656' date='Feb 24 2009, 18.54']I highly doubt they have enough cap space to pay him even with backloaded contract. And yes I think their priority should be offense and OL. And I'm not sure Albert is worth that such big contract. Remember he played great for last 2 years but sucked before. When he gets fat guaranteed contract he may lost his fire. And there's always injury risk...

Speaking about big deals, what do you guys think about Asomugha (spelling) 45-50 mil. for 3 years? Oakland will surely not leave cap hell until Al Davis is alive. What's funny is the fact that now they probably must keep Javon Walker, too big cap hit if he was cut.[/quote]

Ah you are forgetting a key factor to any backloaded deals. "Cap hell" will no longer exist for at least next year. There is no salary cap next year and so Washington and Dallas are going to buy every free agent they can, because they have way more money than any other team.

[quote name='anguy' post='1698656' date='Feb 24 2009, 18.54']Speaking about big deals, what do you guys think about Asomugha (spelling) 45-50 mil. for 3 years?[/quote]
It's crazy to me. And I remember thinking when I heard it, "This is still the club that drafted a kicker with a first round pick."

It's official -- Haynesworth to Skins, 7 years, $100 million, $41 million guaranteed. Haynesworth gets to stomp Andre Gurode twice a year now!

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Anex..q2_555ZRs7pO9ek59DubYF?slug=ap-redskins-haynesworth&prov=ap&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Anex...p&type=lgns[/url]

They also re-signed Deangelo Hall for six years at $54 million.

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1702394' date='Feb 27 2009, 12.35']It's official -- Haynesworth to Skins, 7 years, $100 million, $41 million guaranteed. Haynesworth gets to stomp Andre Gurode twice a year now!

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Anex..q2_555ZRs7pO9ek59DubYF?slug=ap-redskins-haynesworth&prov=ap&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Anex...p&type=lgns[/url]

They also re-signed Deangelo Hall for six years at $54 million.[/quote]

well, at least the D.C. media isn't exactly trumpeting these two monster signings.

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701209.html"]Washington Post[/url]

[quote]The signs this morning should scream "danger."

By agreeing to spend $155 million to sign Albert Haynesworth and keep cornerback DeAngelo Hall, the Redskins are heading down the same slippery, treacherous trail they have walked so many times before, only to lose their footing and tumble to the bottom.

Since Hall was already here and the team simply spent too much to keep him, the message the team sent with the early morning deal with Haynesworth is that Washington is merely a player away from overtaking the Eagles and the Giants to become the best team in the NFC East. The Redskins are not a player away. Not even close. Haynesworth helps; he may help a lot. He may be the best defensive lineman who was available. He might be the best defensive lineman in the league. But bringing him here alone and inserting him on the same shoddy defensive line that failed the Redskins so many times last season is not going to send this team to the Super Bowl.

The foundation here is fractured; offensive and defensive lines broken from so many quick fixes in previous years that one more quick fix isn't going to save everything.

While Haynesworth is a fantastic player and one who, when healthy and motivated, can break down the middle of offensive lines, opening the lanes for pass rushers from either side, he is far from a sure thing. The case against him has been stated many times these last few days as word trickled out that the Redskins were going to do any and every thing to sign him: He has never played a full season, he has a history of anger problems that finally manifested themselves in the infamous stomping on the head of Dallas's Andre Gurode in 2006 (leading to an unprecedented five-game suspension), he weighs 320 pounds, and his desire to be great has repeatedly been questioned.

This is not a London Fletcher the Redskins have bought. When Fletcher signed two seasons ago for $25 million, including a $10.5 million bonus, the deal made sense. Fletcher was a leader, he did not miss games, he was a quick fix that instantly made Washington's defense better. Haynesworth is not a team leader and has always missed games. If you lavish a contract as rich as the one the Redskins are handing Haynesworth, he must not only be the best player by far, but he must also be the one who can single-handedly pull the players together and drive the team to the Super Bowl. To date he has been none of these things.

Redskins Coach Jim Zorn should know the danger of his team's early-morning splash. He was an assistant coach, just starting out in the NFL, in 1997 when the Seattle Seahawks shocked the league with a similar move, swooping in to whisk away the top defensive player in free agency and hand him a then-unimaginable $7 million guarantee. The player was Steelers linebacker Chad Brown. And while Brown turned out to be a wonderful player who played behind a defensive line far better than the one the Redskins have, Seattle went 8-8, gazing longingly at more complete Kansas City and Denver teams. Washington's needs are still significant: two guards and a right tackle to negate the pass rush and perhaps a dependable wide receiver. With only four draft picks, the Redskins have plenty of holes and nothing left with which to fill them.

Quick fixes almost never work in the NFL. Again and again it has been proven that winning teams are built carefully, through the draft, from the bottom up.

All the Redskins have done today is place the biggest weight yet on a shaky foundation.[/quote]

Archived