The NFL Thread

Week

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1706965' date='Mar 3 2009, 21.37']I believe he was quoted as saying he would've signed with Minnesota if they "had a QB."[/quote]

Ouch.

In other news, Raiders Marquis Cooper is lost at sea along with a Detroit Lion. Seriously, can my team catch one break?

[quote name='Prince of the North' post='1706285' date='Mar 3 2009, 14.14']I was really surprised Housh picked Seattle over Minny but then I read on here that he really wanted to get paid more than anything (which is fine - more power to him). It's just that I thought, if he wanted to go to a team with a chance of winning, he'd pick Minnesota. :dunno:

Well, I think Hasselbeck is getting a hell of a target :)[/quote]

Most of the mock drafts had Seattle picking Michael Crabtree first, because last year Seattle had horrendous luck at the receiver position. Hopefully Housh can really help the Hawks as a legitimate downfield receiver. Deion Branch and Housh on the outs, and Engram as the position receiver, sounds like the Hawks will have a better year, and wont have to depend on a high draft pick rookie receiver to make it happen.

Maybe they can use their high draft pick to draft an offensive lineman to protect their QB now.....

There's rumors of the Pats going after Jason Taylor. Per PFT:

[quote]JASON TAYLOR TO THE PATS?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 9:06 a.m.

Though the specific identity of the 12 teams that already have inquired about free-agent defensive end Jason Taylor isn’t know, our recent temporary colleague Tom Curran of NBC/Bushwood Country Club connects the dots regarding the possible arrival of J.T. in N.E.

First, Curran points out that Pats coach Bill Belichick has a history of gushing about Taylor. “Every time the Pats had the Dolphins,” Curran says, “Belichick would prattle on about how dominant and unblockable and game-altering he was.”

Second, Curran says that Tom Brady “loves” Taylor. [Editor’s note: Saying “not that there’s anything wrong with that” after such a remark is really obvious and overused. We tried to come up with something else, but it was too hard. . . . That’s what she said.]

Third, Curran explains that there is immense respect for Taylor within the organization.

So if they can get him at a good price and if he wants to chase a ring and if the team will let him hang out in Miami for the offseason, then maybe it could happen.

Curran is willing to put more than a “maybe” on it. “With Mike Vrabel gone to Kansas City and the Pats having cap space from the Matt Cassel trade, Taylor can almost certainly expect a call from the 508 area code,” Curran concludes.[/quote]

But if he plays well for the Pats and ends up fitting in as well as I think he can, it's really gonna piss me off. Can already see this unfolding.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1706965' date='Mar 3 2009, 20.37']I believe he was quoted as saying he would've signed with Minnesota if they "had a QB."[/quote]
Hmm...interesting. I guess Housh has a good point there. And I actually kind of like Rosenfels. I mean, I don't think his utterly embarrassing implosion vs. the Colts last season is the end-all-be-all of him but there's no question that Hass is the far better QB.

My first reaction to Housh picking Seattle over Minny was that I thought it was a mistake because, in a "win now" sense, Minny is more competitive within their division. However, Seattle is in the NFC West so there's really no reason they couldn't "pull a Cardinals" and quickly rise to the top. Don't get me wrong, the Cards had a magical season (they were sure hot in the playoffs) but I don't really see it as the beginning of perennial dominance for them. Right now, I think the NFC West is still basically an open race just like practically any other division. Gotta love that parity!

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1707681' date='Mar 4 2009, 11.41']There's rumors of the Pats going after Jason Taylor. Per PFT:

But if he plays well for the Pats and ends up fitting in as well as I think he can, it's really gonna piss me off. Can already see this unfolding.[/quote]

Same here.

I think it's time to make my yearly Bengals post that no one reads or comments on. It makes me feel better to get my thoughts out there.

The Bengals basically completed their free agency in the last few days. They resigned Benson, resigned Crocker, let TJ go, signed Coles and will sign JT O'Sullivan. That addresses a few major needs leaving them primed for the draft.

First, TJ. I'm happy for him. He can be an asshole but he's been consistent and a leader. He wanted money, he got it. I don't mind him leaving.

I like the resigning of Benson. The guy has had a tough time and after getting to the lowest possible point of his life, he's now matured. You see him in press conferences talking about it with a smile on his face and it's really cool to see. We forget that 3-4 years ago, he was a top 5 pick. He's not overly expensive, he has a ton of upside and given a full offseason and training camp in the system and Carson Palmer under center, I think he can absolutely 100% produce. This frees up a few draft picks as well.

I like the Coles signing. We lost one veteran and signed another. He's a good player, quick with good hands. He'll compliment Chad and Henry with experience at every WR position (slot, split end, flanker, ect) thus allowing him to be moved around for matchup purposes. That leaves our WR corp as C. Johnson, Coles, Henry, Caldwell (who played well at the end of last year) and Simpson (if he develops). It could certainly be worse and it's Palmer throwing to them.

Crocker was the best offseason addition we made. In the games he played, our third down percentage conversion went from 45% to like 34%. He can blitz and is a sure tackler with experience in Zimmer's system.

Our weaknesses are in a few things. We have offensive line issues. With Jones potentially being let go and Stacy Andrews moving on, we're extremely thin there. If we move Whitworth to LT, Collins to RT, keep Williams and Livings as guard, we're ok. We'd still need a center and we'd have absolutely zero depth after those guys.

That means, first pick needs to be an OT, second pick needs to be a C. After that, focus on defense.

Our defense isn't really that bad. Leon Hall had a fantastic year. JoJo will be healthy. Crocker is resigned and will be starting next to Ndukwe. When they played with each other last year, third down percent was something like 28%. The problem is, they didn't play with each other much as Ndukwe was hurt.

We still have no real pass rushers but our run defense did play better last year when Pat Sims cracked the lineup next to Peko (from 4.5 ypc to 3.8). Rivers will be back and strong, Jones is solid and we still have a hole at SLB. But I think Zimmer will make it work. The defense went from 28th to 12th in a year and he's very very focused on creating a pass rush. He's a great D-Coord an very well respected by the players.

Offense has potential but it all relies on protecting Palmer which the line had a hard time doing last year. Toward the end, they did well, but before that, Palmer was constantly under pressure which helped result in his injury (hit in Giants game started it).

I see us getting back to around 8-8 with the potential of playing better should things click. If not, it'll be a typical Bengals year of being competitive but unable to win.

TO Has been cut. [url="http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Image:FourToedFull.jpg"]Owens cut[/url]

:DEEP SIGH OF RELIEF:

Let the healing begin. Let the Cowboys become more of a running team with Barber, F. Jones, and Choice. TRY to get a decent #2 receiver. The new mongers are already reporting an interest in trading for Tory Holt. For the right price, sure.

deep sigh again, Heal thyself, Dallas, heal.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1707681' date='Mar 4 2009, 11.41']There's rumors of the Pats going after Jason Taylor. Per PFT:[/quote]

Jamie - PFT does those Rumor of a Rumor every once in a while. Jason Taylor has about as much of a chance going to the Patriots as he does starring in Gladiator part 2. They were just guessing at the type of player Belichick would want. The Pats have several big names on defense that they still need to re-sign and unless Taylor wants to take a big pay cut he isn't coming anywhere near Foxboro. There is a difference between him and say a Seau.

T.O cut huh? ESPN just went into code red. Now what I guess.

[quote name='Trebla' post='1709043' date='Mar 5 2009, 07.40']TO Has been cut. [url="http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Image:FourToedFull.jpg"]Owens cut[/url]

:DEEP SIGH OF RELIEF:

Let the healing begin. Let the Cowboys become of a running team with Barber, F. Jones, and Choice. TRY to get a decent #2 receiver. The new mongers are already reporting in interest in trading for Tory Holt. For the right price, sure.

deep sigh again, Heal thyself, Dallas, heal.[/quote]
Amen to that. I'll admit I wasn't classy enough to just heave a sigh of relief. I stood up and cheered this morning when I heard the news. There will be many deep sighs of relief in coming days.

Any news on [s]linebacker[/s] safety Roy Williams? Last I heard was he'll likely be traded or released but I've heard nothing since.

[quote name='DeliriousEdd' post='1709059' date='Mar 5 2009, 07.57']Amen to that. I'll admit I wasn't classy enough to just heave a sigh of relief. I stood up and cheered this morning when I heard the news. There will be many deep sighs of relief in coming days.

Any news on [s]linebacker[/s] safety Roy Williams? Last I heard was he'll likely be traded or released but I've heard nothing since.[/quote]

I think they are still trying to see if anyone will give them ANY kind of compensation for him. I highly doubt it. What they need to do is sign safety Keith Davis ASAP before he signs with somebody else. He's their best special teams player and a good backup and/or stopgap starter. They lose him and they have an even bigger hole there.

As far as what now at receiver, well, they do still have good players there. Despite his numbers last season, I do think Roy Williams is a #1. Owens hogged all balls. Williams caught everything thrown at him except for the 2nd Philly game. He has a full offseason now to work with Romo and also having John Kitna there helps immensely. Kitna was Williams' QB during his only pro bowl season.

Miles Austin could be your deep threat. He's big, blazing fast, and has good hands. Crayton and Sam Hurd are good possesion receivers. Hurd had been the #3 before being lost for the season with an injury. I do believe they still need to add someone else, though. If they go that way in the draft, then I think they should sign a veteran to man another hole, DE. Igor Olshansky would fit in VERY nice. That would leave safety and receiver as your biggest draft needs to fill day 1.

[quote name='Trebla' post='1709066' date='Mar 5 2009, 09.10']I think they are still trying to see if anyone will give them ANY kind of compensation for him. I highly doubt it. What they need to do is sign safety Keith Davis ASAP before he signs with somebody else. He's their best special teams player and a good backup and/or stopgap starter. They lose him and they have an even bigger hole there.

As far as what now at receiver, well, they do still have good players there. Despite his numbers last season, I do think Roy Williams is a #1. Owens hogged all balls. Williams caught everything thrown at him except for the 2nd Philly game. He has a full offseason now to work with Romo and also having John Kitna there helps immensely. Kitna was Williams' QB during his only pro bowl season.

Miles Austin could be your deep threat. He's big, blazing fast, and has good hands. Crayton and Sam Hurd are good possesion receivers. Hurd had been the #3 before being lost for the season with an injury. I do believe they still need to add someone else, though. If they go that way in the draft, then I think they should sign a veteran to man another hole, DE. Igor Olshansky would fit in VERY nice. That would leave safety and receiver as your biggest draft needs to fill day 1.[/quote]

I have read rumors that they were trying to get 3rd or a 4th rounder for safety Williams, if they can find a team that is looking to put a safety in the box because they can afford to with a strong secondary - like the Rams (would say Denver but they just signed the upgraded version in Dawkins). I have also read the big D is interested in Sean Jones as well at Safety, which isn't much of an upgrade (trust me on that one).

EDIT: Just found out they released SS Roy Williams - I guess no picks for him.

Roy the reciever is a number 1 - I know he has had some issues in both Detroit and Dallas but the guy can play if he gets his head straight. But they do need to add some depth at WR - Crayton and Hurd are both 3rd WR at best, maybe you can roll the dice on Austin, dude is pretty talented but I don't see Jerry Jones staying complacent with any of them. Whether through the draft or trade I can see them picking up a pretty decent WR. I know they have some picks missing but if any team was looking to add a quality WR why not give up the 2nd rounder and sign Lance Moore? I could be wrong but that is what I think you would have to give up to sign him, proven option instead of rolling the dice in the draft. Igor would be a nice fit for about 25 different teams, surprised no one has offered him a big deal yet, but past history with Wade would think that Dallas's D front would be even better - damn, it hurts to even say that!!

[quote]Our defense isn't really that bad. Leon Hall had a fantastic year. JoJo will be healthy. Crocker is resigned and will be starting next to Ndukwe. When they played with each other last year, third down percent was something like 28%. The problem is, they didn't play with each other much as Ndukwe was hurt.[/quote]

Thought the Bengals defense was one of the up and comers last year. Very swarming.

Had the Bengals offense been what it had been the last few years, they would've been a playoff team.

[quote name='Trebla' post='1709043' date='Mar 5 2009, 08.40']TO Has been cut. [url="http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Image:FourToedFull.jpg"]Owens cut[/url][/quote]

Pretty surprising reversal by Jerry Jones all but stated he'd be back.

A little terrified the Redskins are now going to make a run at him. (And naturally PFT is hinting just that). Talent-wise he's a perfect fit for what the Redskins need...but the cost is too high. The man is the purest cancer in the sport and the Redskins didn't exactly sign character guys this offseason with Haynesworth and Hall. Hoping on TO is like wishing on the Monkey's paw. You'll get what you wish for and then some.

Put. The. Phone. Down. Danny.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1709049' date='Mar 5 2009, 08.48']Jamie - PFT does those Rumor of a Rumor every once in a while. Jason Taylor has about as much of a chance going to the Patriots as he does starring in Gladiator part 2. They were just guessing at the type of player Belichick would want. The Pats have several big names on defense that they still need to re-sign and unless Taylor wants to take a big pay cut he isn't coming anywhere near Foxboro. There is a difference between him and say a Seau.[/quote]

Right, it's pure opinion and speculation on the part of PFT here.

But it makes a sense. Belichick will target guys that have lit up the Patriots over the years (like Welker) and it's known he respects Taylor. He'd fit in perfectly as a 3-4 linebacker, a veteran former star addition, like Seau, but in a rushing the passer capacity. And he could fill the void created by the Vrabel trade. For Taylor it gives him a chance to prove it's not all about the money for him, that he does want to win a title. Also would be good for his PR, which as an emerging "filmstar" is clearly important to him. Makes a lot of sense for both sides, that is, if money isn't Taylor's #1 objective.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1709208' date='Mar 5 2009, 10.55']Thought the Bengals defense was one of the up and comers last year. Very swarming.

Had the Bengals offense been what it had been the last few years, they would've been a playoff team.[/quote]

I agree. Palmer has regressed. I'm wondering if it's because of the offensive line, lack of a running game or just Palmer not being very good when under pressure. I don't know. But if given even a little time, he's extremely dangerous.

I'm glad someone read my post!

As for TO, I hope he doesn't find a team. You would think people would get the picture by now. After 2 years, he becomes a massive cancer. Look at SF, Philly and Dallas. It's not like it's new anymore.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1709208' date='Mar 5 2009, 10.55']A little terrified the Redskins are now going to make a run at him. (And naturally PFT is hinting just that). Talent-wise he's a perfect fit for what the Redskins need...but the cost is too high. The man is the purest cancer in the sport and the Redskins didn't exactly sign character guys this offseason with Haynesworth and Hall. Hoping on TO is like wishing on the Monkey's paw. You'll get what you wish for and then some.

Put. The. Phone. Down. Danny.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I was a little disappointed that Owens won't be screwing up the Cowboys anymore. I heard rumors that the Giants might want him, which would make him an official NFC East whore, which is always fun. I doubt it though, I give the Giants office more credit than that. I am living in constant fear that the Redskins will pick him up. Why any team would want him is beyond me.

Moss and Harrison are still available right? I'd say that makes TO the third most promising receiver on the market. Not talent wise, of course, but in actual value? I think it's no comparison.

[quote name='uneedathneed' post='1709232' date='Mar 5 2009, 11.13']Couldn't agree more. I was a little disappointed that Owens won't be screwing up the Cowboys anymore. I heard rumors that the Giants might want him, which would make him an official NFC East whore, which is always fun. I doubt it though, I give the Giants office more credit than that. I am living in constant fear that the Redskins will pick him up. Why any team would want him is beyond me.[/quote]

Good news then for both of us:

[quote]REDSKINS OUT OF THE T.O. SWEEPSTAKES, TOO
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2009, 11:01 a.m.

Well, on the bright side we’ve given Easterbook some fodder for 2010.

Our initial knee-jerk reaction to the news that Terrell Owens had involuntarily gained his freedom from the Cowboys was that Owens would most likely land with the Redskins or the Giants.

And, already, both teams have reportedly said no.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Redskins have issued an adamant “no thanks” regarding the possibility of signing Owens.

(We’ve separately heard that agent Drew Rosenhaus had already placed a call to the team about T.O.)

Mort raises a good point about the Redskins’ position — they weren’t interested three years ago, when Owens was three years younger.

That said, we thought that it would be different this time. Joe Gibbs is gone, and Jim Zorn is running an offense to which Owens is perfectly suited. And, by signing defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, the Redskins seem to be attempting to put the piece in place to buy a title in 2009.

Maybe they are, but they’re going to do so without signing Terrell Owens.[/quote]

Glad there wasn't even a second's deliberation. Apparently the Giants aren't interested either.

So TO's NFC East whoredom will stop at having been with half the division. Have no clue where he'll end up.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1709254' date='Mar 5 2009, 11.32']So TO's NFC East whoredom will stop at having been with half the division. Have no clue where he'll end up.[/quote]
Somewhere in Oakland, Al Davis's minions are preparing a memo for when he rises from his crypt.

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1709291' date='Mar 5 2009, 11.57']Somewhere in Oakland, Al Davis's minions are preparing a memo for when he rises from his crypt.[/quote]

Oakland/Washington/Dallas seem to be the choices for anyone with personality issues who wants a bloated deal. Given that Dallas and Washington are out of the running, I agree Oakland seems like a reasonable possibility.

Is it possible that no one will want him? Can that happen in the NFL, where someone has such chemistry issues that their skills on the field cannot match them? Do I dare dream?

I would love to see him without a team and forced to reevaluate himself. It would make me happy until the first day I saw him in an announcers booth, which would of course not be very long at all.

I've heard some rumors that, since TO is good friends with Ray Lewis, he might sign with Baltimore so Lewis can keep him in check. Of course, there is the nastiness that he was in involving the Ravens a few years ago where he refused to play for them, but I think that was more of a refusal to play for Kyle Boller than anything.

I will be giddy as a school girl asked to the homecoming dance if no team, even Oakland, wants to pick up TO.

Archived