The Book I Bought Today - 4th Edition

Werthead

[quote name='murphy' post='1675332' date='Feb 5 2009, 14.24']Is that the Lindsey Davis that wrote the Falco books?[/quote]
Yes. The 19th book in the series just came out this week in the UK.

[quote name='irriadin' post='1675077' date='Feb 5 2009, 16.58']I'm also reading Name of the Wind and finding it immensely entertaining.[/quote]

Agreed, but considering how often the sequel has been put back, I'd be cautious about how soon people are going to see it. It's starting to look like even late 2009 may have been too optimistic.

[quote]Anyway, regarding The Dark Tower. The Gunslinger is not representative of the series as a whole at all; the prose is disjointed and the overall "feel" of the book is somewhat confused (at least on the first read). The Drawing of the Three is far better, and The Wastelands better still, in my opinion.[/quote]

It's the 'revised edition' (2003) of [i]The Gunslinger[/i]. No idea if it's supposed to be better than the original, but according to King in the prologue he wanted to bring it closer to the others in style and iron out some inconsistencies.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1675536' date='Feb 5 2009, 17.42']Agreed, but considering how often the sequel has been put back, I'd be cautious about how soon people are going to see it. It's starting to look like even late 2009 may have been too optimistic.[/quote]

Ah... so it's not coming out in April, then?

[quote]It's the 'revised edition' (2003) of [i]The Gunslinger[/i]. No idea if it's supposed to be better than the original, but according to King in the prologue he wanted to bring it closer to the others in style and iron out some inconsistencies.[/quote]

I just checked my copy and it is the revised edition. I wonder how different the original is... Even after the revisions, I still think that [i]The Gunslinger[/i] is quite different from the rest of the series.

[quote name='irriadin' post='1675670' date='Feb 6 2009, 00.45']Ah... so it's not coming out in April, then?[/quote]

Not even remotely possible. He hasn't handed in the manuscript yet. I think the current planned date is November, the same as Lynch's [i]Republic of Thieves[/i]. If both authors don't finish soon, they're going to miss that date as well.

Order of the Stick: Start of Darkness and Order of the Stick: On the Origins of the PCs are supposed to arrive on sunday or monday.
I got a new copy of AGOT after my first one fell apart in a way that not even duck tape could fix, as well as Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman) and Wild Cards: Inside Straight (Edited by George R.R. Martin, the best parts were written by Daniel Abraham). Should I have read the previous Wild Card books before Inside Straight, or was reading the short stories in Dreamsongs enough?

[quote name='The Pita Enigma' post='1676437' date='Feb 6 2009, 08.50']Should I have read the previous Wild Card books before Inside Straight, or was reading the short stories in Dreamsongs enough?[/quote]
[i]Inside Straight[/i] is a reboot of the series with a new generation of aces so you don't need to read all the prior books. They've had some of the older aces in small parts of [i]Inside Straight[/i] and [i]Busted Flush[/i] but knowing the background is not a necessity. If you like [i]Inside Straight[/i], you should definitely read the older ones just to enjoy them.

These all arrived in the mailbox over the last week.

[b]Red Spikes[/b] - Margo Lanagan
[b]Mappa Mundi[/b] - Justina Robson
[b]A Case of Conscience[/b] - James Blish
[b]The Swords of Corum[/b] - Michael Moorcock
[b]The Chronicles of Corum[/b] - Michael Moorcock
[b]Stand On Zanzibar[/b] - John Brunner
[b]A Tupolev Too Far[/b] - Brian Aldiss
[b]Billion Year Spree[/b] - Brian Aldiss
[b]Vermillion Sands[/b] - J.G. Ballard
[b]Ender's Game[/b] - Orson Scott Card
[b]The Deep[/b] - John Crowley
[b]Sleeping In Flame[/b] - Jonathan Carroll
[b]A Secret Atlas[/b] - Michael A. Stackploe
[b]Cartomancy[/b] - Michael A. Stackploe

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellow-Blue-Tibia-Adam-Roberts/dp/0575083573/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234022740&sr=1-1"]Yellow Blue Tibia[/url] by Adam Roberts.
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flood-Stephen-Baxter/dp/0575080582/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234022790&sr=1-1"]Flood[/url] by Stephen Baxter.

I found a great little used bookstore this morning and picked up a few books that look interesting:

[i]The Two Cities: Medieval Europe[/i] by Malcolm Barber

[i]Aristocratic Life in Medieval France: The Romances of Jean Renart and Gerbert de Montreuil[/i] by John W. Baldwin

[i]Un autre Moyen Age[/i] by Jacques Le Goff

[i]Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America[/i] by David Hackett Fischer (after reading Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers last year I was really pleased to find this!)

[quote name='beniowa' post='1677614' date='Feb 6 2009, 21.19'][i]Inside Straight[/i] is a reboot of the series with a new generation of aces so you don't need to read all the prior books. They've had some of the older aces in small parts of [i]Inside Straight[/i] and [i]Busted Flush[/i] but knowing the background is not a necessity. If you like [i]Inside Straight[/i], you should definitely read the older ones just to enjoy them.[/quote]
If so, then I have a few questions:
I've realized that Aces have powers and Jokers have deformities, but what does "Drawing the black queen" mean? The Wild Card was some illness of some sort, I understood. What are deuces? Are nats normal people?
This should be its own thread...

[quote name='The Pita Enigma' post='1678720' date='Feb 8 2009, 01.00']If so, then I have a few questions:
I've realized that Aces have powers and Jokers have deformities, but what does "Drawing the black queen" mean? The Wild Card was some illness of some sort, I understood. What are deuces? Are nats normal people?
This should be its own thread...[/quote]
90% of the people who contract the virus die from it. The term for that is "drawing the black queen". Those that survive but are deformed are jokers. Deuces are those that develop some minor power such as the ability to change eye color. Aces, of course, have some truly amazing abilities. And nats are normal people that have not been exposed or affected by the virus.

It should be noted that the lines between black queen, jokers, deuces, and aces can be blurred. For instance, one of the older characters that appears in [i]Inside Straight[/i] is Peregine, who has the wings and bone structure of a bird. It can be argued that she's a joker because her wings could be also be seen as a deformity.

There's a fairly recent spoiler thread for [i]Inside Straight[/i] and [i]Busted Flus[/i]h. I'm not sure if there's an older one still around or not.

eta: recent Wild Cards [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=33596&hl=Wild+Cards"]thread[/url].

eta2: I couldn't find an older thread so if there was one it was probably deleted.

Hello my name is Stubby and I am an addict.

Today I bought the next two Sharpe's novels: - Company & - Sword.

No doubt I will be back here in a few days' time to report the purchase of the next two. :blush:

[quote name='Jon Fossaway' post='1674622' date='Feb 5 2009, 02.33']Anyone whos reading the Gunslinger books...

Do they get better or more complex after the first one? I couldn't finish the first book and I understand King wrote it when he was just starting out.[/quote]

Yes, they get considerably better and more complex. 2 and 3 are very good. Book 4 is great, the best in the series. 5 is okay and then the last two books just got way too weird for me. I thought that "The Gunslinger" was a really weird book but after reading the subsequent books in the series, it makes a lot more sense. It is a series worth finishing and it ties King's other works together.

Archived