Exercise and Fitness!

Bellis

Eta: a 500lb bench is stupid strong and BSF is a great documentary.

Dude, I'm not saying you're on steroids, and I ain't saying you're not a powerlifter, but I am certainly insinuating that both aren't true. Ain't no such thing. Or else, we have different definitions, I guess. I've benched 365 and squatted 495, but I've never thought myself anywhere near strong enough to call myself a powerlifter. (At my Golds, you weren't deserving of acknowledgment until you benched 500lbs.) So perhaps it's a cultural thing. But I sure as fuck have never seen a powerlifter who didn't chew on vitamins and shove pins into his ass. So it's hard for me to wrap my head around the stuff that you write.

There is no such thing as a drug test that works for everything. And it's not as if shit isn't overlooked. You ever seen the documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster?

A powerlifter is someone who competes in powerlifting competitions. Man if I benched 365 that would be a british record in my age and weight class.(I do intend on breaking british records in the next year.

Also, to put this... delicately because I know so many people here are into it, the 100 pushup plan seems rather intuitive.

I'm just that lazy and out of practice. ;)

Highlights being I did three chinups, (close grip, palms facing me- wide grips are still hard)

Though for all of that, I'm sure I could do ten of these right now. The one exercise where the stick man has an advantage, I guess.

Creatine did nothing for me the year that I used it, but then neither did the weightlifting (as far as weight gain/size; I did get stronger).

I'm just that lazy and out of practice. ;)

Though for all of that, I'm sure I could do ten of these right now. The one exercise where the stick man has an advantage, I guess.

Creatine did nothing for me the year that I used it, but then neither did the weightlifting (as far as weight gain/size; I did get stronger).

Weight gain/size depends on diet not training.

Can this all be because I went jogging in shorts and a t-shirt in 40 degree weather? What the eff?

Edit: Got hitten

Maybe its different if you're from a warm weather climate like Greece, but I run all the time in shorts/t-shirt and weather being 40. 40 is pretty much my cut-off, but no worries higher than that. I am from a frozen wasteland of a home state (Minnesota) though, perhaps it plays a role as well.

I am faced with the same water concerns as others here. My runs are starting to get to the 90 minute range and there are no good places to stash a water bottle where I run. I don't have options to re-route, since this is pretty much the only place in the city where there aren't a billion cars (+/- 5). Anybody ever run with a camelpack? I would think it would be incredibly uncomfortable with a few liters of water on your back. Carrying it the only avenue to take, then?

for me, reading Stego's posts is much the same as reading Men's Health. Don't take it all 100% verbatim literally. The good intent is there, but it's best tempered with your own judgement.

That's absurd.

I am faced with the same water concerns as others here. My runs are starting to get to the 90 minute range and there are no good places to stash a water bottle where I run. I don't have options to re-route, since this is pretty much the only place in the city where there aren't a billion cars (+/- 5). Anybody ever run with a camelpack? I would think it would be incredibly uncomfortable with a few liters of water on your back. Carrying it the only avenue to take, then?

There are some pretty small Camelbaks designed for trail running. I've carried one for over 20 miles comfortably, fast packing. It might be a little annoying if it bounces when you run, but I doubt it would be uncomfortable.

I hate to mention this, but have you considered a fuel belt? There are some on the Camelbak site. You'll look like a total douche, in fact, you might as well buy some jean shorts and wear them both around town to get used to looking stupid, but it's useful if you can't stash water and don't like having it on your back.

There are some pretty small Camelbaks designed for trail running. I've carried one for over 20 miles comfortably, fast packing. It might be a little annoying if it bounces when you run, but I doubt it would be uncomfortable.

I hate to mention this, but have you considered a fuel belt? There are some on the Camelbak site. You'll look like a total douche, in fact, you might as well buy some jean shorts and wear them both around town to get used to looking stupid, but it's useful if you can't stash water and don't like having it on your back.

I look stupid around here anyway. I'm a 186 cm, 80 kg white guy running around in Seoul. Every other runner I have seen has been a short Korean man with half my weight.

And I do own a pair of jean shorts. :P

It has turned into such a guy thread, hasn't it? I'm wondering if they're going to start waving their cocks, all while not looking at each others' cocks. Which one would think would defeat the point :)

That's why God created shadows.

Heh, I was biking the other day when it was ridiculously hot--I just needed to drop by campus to do a few things. I have a bike which is meant more for commuter comfort than speed in any way, which is good because I bike because commuting is enjoyable. I do not cycle as a sport and I'm not very fast. Anyway, I don't know if you have them here, but there's all these women around the Bay Area who bike in a cute way. They have their beach cruisers and wear dresses over bike shorts and apparently never sweat. Illustrated by this quote:

But there is a special category of bicycles that appeal far more to white women, the European city bike (pictured). White women have a lot of fantasies about idealized lives, and one of them is living in Europe and riding around an old city on one of these bikes. They dream about waking up and riding to a little cafe, then visiting bakeries and cheese shops and finally riding home to prepare a fancy meal for their friends who will all eat under a canopy with white Christmas lights.

Since it was about a million degrees out, I was already wearing a skirt, so I decided to just do the shorts and skirt thing so I wouldn't wander around campus in glorified underwear. I caught a reflection of myself in a car window on the way and was like, "Damn, I'm looking cute today."

Then I realized that the look was probably entirely offset by the fanny pack I was wearing with a reflective triangle on it. And the fact that my "front headlight" is a flashlight taped to my handlebars. (I keep forgetting to buy a real one after my old one got stolen.) But, more people should wear these, because then maybe I won't look like such a complete dork. :P

TA: Oh yeah, Luga, how tall is that mountain/how long is the trail up? Looks like fun. :)

I had a good workout tonight. My new chin-up bar arrived (yes LoB, we stick men have a big advantage on that), and I increased my bench press by 15%. I'm still mixing muscle groups because I'm just warming back up. I'll separate them when I reach heavy weights.

Tomorrow is early morning ashtanga, otherwise known as tie-myself-in-a-knot morning. I'm actually looking forward to it although it's going hurt like hell. I'm sore today from marathon pilates the past two days and I did practice my vrschikasana this morning because I know I've got to take a picture of it in a month. Bleh. It's hard.

Iskaral you are starting up your new hamstring stretching regimen, right?

Kat, your flashlight cracks me up. My handlebar headlight broke off so now I often carry it in my left hand like a flashlight when I am riding in the dark. I wouldn't have been caught dead in a fanny pack until I became a bike commuter. But that was long ago, and now I own three. :blush:

Well, the first week of my return to running is at an end. Today was the longest run of the week: a shade over 14 km in steady rain with temps about 13 C. Time: 77 minutes. Not great.

Even after my previous post, I didn't get in my short run yesterday. I was just worn out and relaxed. It made today's run much more pleasant though, since I woke up and felt a spring in my legs that had been missing.

Stats for the week:

5 days of running

312 minutes

62.5 km (I overestimated last Saturday's run. Upon verification, the "out" portion was 1 km shorter than thought, so 2 km less overall)

I guess not a bad way to re-enter the serious running. Pacing is a little slow, but I think it will improve. I will miss a day next week, replacing one run with a 6.5 km mountain hike. Not the same, but good to work different muscles in the legs.

I am almost afraid to ask this: I am not currently taking a multivitamin. I saw some at Costco (maybe some of you know the place?) and almost bought them. Is this a waste of my money? I don't speak/read Korean, so my options are limited in this department.

Thanks for the sick person advice, everyone. I have no idea what's wrong with me - my throat is still on fire and it feels like there is a warm coal stoking in my chest. I took some Benadryl Allergy last night because it was the only thing I could find around here (oh, my kingdom for a 24 hour 7-11). I am taking it easy today and staying in with knit socks on and a warm hoody. Although, it's saying something that I feel really, really guilty about not doing my 100 Pushupplan pushups today.

Kat, that big rock I'll be climbing is 574 meters high (about 1888 ft). And there is actually a road right to the top because there is a medieval fortress up there that tourists go to. And you can no longer run straight across the fields and up the side because people have started putting up fences everywhere. So it's not a particularly amazing feat, but for me it will be a big deal to get up there as often as possible. And I plan to walk, not run - I'm not that crazy!

And WHAT is with all this fanny pack bashing?! I've been trying to bring the fanny pack back for a while actually. If you can get one that doesn't look totally douchy, they rule. I don't like purses. And yes, they are perfect for biking, in addition to tooling around the mall :) Impress all your friends with your sense of style.

Did the arms, shoulders and triceps with increased weight today. It was intense. Then I moved boxes, a tv and a bunch of other stuff up 3 flights of stairs. My arms are still like jello and I was done over an hour ago.

:)

Archived