Exercise and Fitness!

Bellis

I started the push up plan yesterday (which currently is normally 2nd rest day). I will follow up Tuesday and Thursdays so.. this will be my schedule until I finish the pushup plan (or get bored):

Monday: Chest and Back.

Tuesday: Pushups

Wed: Legs and Abs

Thursday: Pushups

Friday: Shoulders, Traps, Arms

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Pushups.

I need to be vain for awhile and build my upper body... :D

And WEIGHTED DIPS... Holy fuckstick. I'm barely doing them as it is! I did 6, 5, 5 this morning and thought I was going to pass out!

Today is Back day...and I am hoping it goes as well as my last few workouts have. Took a little while to get back into the swing of things, but it feels like at this point I am finally making progress and building, not just working the kinks out and getting form back. Ironically from some of the other posts, I am hoping some day my arms will get to the point my back and shoulders are at.

Still having trouble at the end of extension with my left forearm, wide grip pull ups/pull downs give a slight twinge cuz of some scar tissue, but working through that and getting it more flexible.

Saturday's workout was marked by a severe tightening in the left side of my neck. I was hoping it would just go away, but although it's gotten better, it's still there. I may put off leg day until tomorow, as deadlifts and squats with a sore neck are bad news. I'm kind of bummed about it. I suppose I will just have to do an hour or so of cardio to make up for it.

I hate cardio.

ran 4.2 miles just now in 41 minutes, which I'm happy with as I haven't run any distance in probably a year or more. I've been doing cross trainer instead, mixed with just a little treadmill and erg.

Interesting moment around mile 2 where I tripped on a bump in the sidewalk, sending me sprawling. Reflex kicked in however, turning my lurch into a not half bad judo roll. Just in case anyone was watching, as I got up I threw both arms up in the air in a big "V for Victory"

I have a flair for the dramatic.

ran 4.2 miles just now in 41 minutes, which I'm happy with as I haven't run any distance in probably a year or more. I've been doing cross trainer instead, mixed with just a little treadmill and erg.

Interesting moment around mile 2 where I tripped on a bump in the sidewalk, sending me sprawling. Reflex kicked in however, turning my lurch into a not half bad judo roll. Just in case anyone was watching, as I got up I threw both arms up in the air in a big "V for Victory"

I have a flair for the dramatic.

I do this. Sadly I am forced to do it a lot having 2 left feet.

Can you do HIIT instead? I know it's still cardio, but at least it's over faster. :P

I do HIIT for 20 mins, low intensity cardio for 20, then HIIT for twenty. I know it might be over training, but I have to kill myself at the moment to deal with my nicotine withdrawal. Plus, I have PLENTY of fat left to lose.

I took the day off because 1. I'm lazy, 2. I cut my foot (probably swiped it along the edge of one of my packing boxes), and 3. my calves and hamstrings are tight.

I'll do some yoga tonight and find some bananas tomorrow.

Getting back into serious running after 2 weeks of light jogging. 8 miles on Saturday and 3 sets of 4 x 200 with 30 seconds rest within a set and 3 minutes between sets on Sunday. My legs are fine, but my lungs still get blown out easier than I'm used to. Next big race is a 15k on June 20th with a goal of 65 minutes which will probably be the kick off of the next round of marathon training.

Getting back into serious running after 2 weeks of light jogging. 8 miles on Saturday and 3 sets of 4 x 200 with 30 seconds rest within a set and 3 minutes between sets on Sunday. My legs are fine, but my lungs still get blown out easier than I'm used to. Next big race is a 15k on June 20th with a goal of 65 minutes which will probably be the kick off of the next round of marathon training.

That's a pretty fast pace for 15k. Glad to see someone else on here aiming at marathon training. I am trying to get my third in this year, any advice? It sounds like you're quite experienced.

Picked the worst day to bike downtown. Usually I take the train unless it's particularly nice weather, but as I wouldn't have time for any other workout otherwise, it was bike day. In obnoxious afternoon winds. Morning was not windy. Morning was mostly flat to downhill to get there. Afternoon was uphill with cold headwinds and occasional sideways gusts that kept almost blowing me into crosswalks. Remind me why I do this again?

Well, despite my heavy-ass bike, I was actually passing skinny hipsters on light bikes even in the uphill winds, so I guess I'm winning at something. :unsure:

great workout today. lat pull downs went up 40lbs from last week (though my form was shit on the last set and I was using my body weight for most of the pull, though I did control the negative...) Deadlift went up 20lbs, taking it slow here and working on having excellent form for every rep. and my standing military press went up 20 lbs to 115, iirc, when I was doing a lot of heavy lifting five years ago, I think my SEATED military press was barely 135, and I feel I could have gone at least another ten pounds heavier on that tonight if I'd had another set. :) I expected everything to improve again this week as I'm still finding out where I'm at but damn it feels good anyway. :)

Crossfit had definitely kept me in much better shape overall than I suspected, and my core strength is vastly greater than before. I feel a lot more balance in terms of how much weight I can manage across exercises that use multiple muscle groups. I'm not feeling muscle group wink links are the reason I hit positive failure. Nice, I feel strong all over. :D

I also did 5 body weight pullups again today during warmup looking forward to getting to ten pullups. :)

I also did 5 body weight pullups again today during warmup looking forward to getting to ten pullups. :)

If you're not in love with dead hang, I sugest your learn to kip. It will turn 5 into 15, and being able to do more will help increase your gains. (In my experience.)

It even improves dead hang ability.

That's a pretty fast pace for 15k. Glad to see someone else on here aiming at marathon training. I am trying to get my third in this year, any advice? It sounds like you're quite experienced.

Lots of advise not sure how much is good. ;) What in specific are you looking for and what approximate time are you shooting for? I'm coaching the distance runners on a track team right now so the workouts I'll be doing for the next couple weeks are more designed for 800-3200 runners approaching the end of the season.

For marathon training though, I'm a big fan of the long run (get up to at least 30k, more if possible) and a couple workouts a week with long intervals between 800 and 2k with shorter rest and slower times (generally 1-2 minutes rest and they should be around 5-15 k pace). Core training as well, one of the other coaches introduced me to it and I am very impressed how much easier it is for me to keep running when I'm tired than before.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask but I'm still learning this marathon thing too.

Archived